Boggs Township was formed by a division of Spring township in August 1814. Andrew Boggs was the first settler in the township, near the present village of Milesburg, whence the name of the township. Roland Curtin, Sr., in connection with Moses Boggs, erected the forge at Curtin's Eagle Works as early as 1810. Milesburg iron works were erected as early as 1795 by Colonel Miles, and the iron conveyed by arks down Bald Eagle creek. Among the early prominent settlers of of Boggs township were Philip Antes, Richard Malone, Miles', Holt's, Green's and Barnhart's. The first Methodist church in the territory of Centre county was formed at Philip Antes (now Curtin) Works in 1787.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
BOGGS TOWNSHIP CENSUS FIGURES
1860--1,652 1870--2,135 1880--2,098 1890--2,042 1900--1,899 1910--1,565 1920--1,331 1930--1,327 1940--1,856 1950--2,102 1960--1,924 1970--2,039 1980--2,246 1990--2,686 2000--2,834
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages or towns within Boggs Township include Runville, Tangletown, Fairview, Central City, Gum Stump, Curtin, Roland, Yarnell, The Divide, Snow Shoe Intersection, Wingate, Holter's Crossing, McCartneytown, McCartneyville, Dry Top, Rhoads, Fetzertown, Moose Run and Pleasant Valley. For a further discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Boggs Township from 1815 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.