Burnside Township was erected out of Snow Shoe at November Sessions, 1856. It was named in honor of Hon. Thomas Burnside, formerly President Judge of the courts of the county, and afterwards Judge of the Supreme Court, who died March 25, 1851. Its northern boundary is the west branch of the Susquehanna river and its western boundary Black Moshannon creek. Its post-office Pine Glenn, was established in 1854. The character of the land is wild and mountainous. A large body of land, known as "The Philadelphia City Lands," is located in this township. These are leased by the Spruce Run Park Association for fishing and hunting purposes. About 10,000 acres are enclosed and the streams Baughers, Spruce Run, etc., stocked with fish.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
BURNSIDE TOWNSHIP CENSUS FIGURES
1860--434 1870--386 1880--465 1890--530 1900--444 1910--356 1920--244 1930--247 1940--344 1950--274 1960--463 1970--430 1980--471 1990--390 2000--410
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages or towns within Burnside Township include German Settlement, Germania, Pine Glen, Pine Swamp, Sterling Landing and Buttermilk Falls. For a further discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Burnside Township from 1857 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.