CURTIN TOWNSHIP

Curtin Township was formed by a division of Howard Township November 25, 1857, the dividing line being along the top of Marsh Creek dividing ridge. Beech Creek and Clinton County bound it on the north-east. Among the first settlers of the territory were John and Nicholas Lucas, who came from Maryland. In 1840 John Packer erected the first saw mill within the territory of Curtin and in 1842 raised the first frame frame barn therein. It is watered by Beech and Marsh creeks and has now a post of fice, Romola, within its borders.

(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)

CURTIN TOWNSHIP CENSUS FIGURES

1860--237
1870--459
1880--624
1890--546
1900--543
1910--740
1920--809
1930--715
1940--676
1950--609
1960--595
1970--491
1980--533
1990--516
2000--551

(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)

TOWNS & VILLAGES

Villages or towns within Curtin Township include Romola and Orviston. For a further discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.

TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS

Tax assessment records for Curtin Township from 1858 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.

This page is part of the Centre County PAGenWeb Project
Copyright 2001 by Robert L. Baker