Gregg Township was erected in November, 1826, out of portions of Potter, Miles and Haines townships and named in honor of Hon. Andrew Gregg, a resident of the township who had been a member of Congress from 1791 for sixteen years and United States Se nator from 1807 to 1813. Its earliest settlers were George Woods in 1774, and George McCormick who settled at Spring Mills in 1773 and built the first mill there. It is a rich agricultural township. Penn's creek rises in the northern portion, its source a miniature lake in a cave. Penns Cave is now a noted place of resort. Township post-offices are Spring Mills, Farmers Mills, and Penn Hall.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
GREGG TOWNSHIP CENSUS FIGURES
1850--1,473 1860--1,556 1870--1,636 1880--1,795 1890--1,688 1900--2,098 1910--1,635 1920--1,495 1930--1,300 1940--1,475 1950--1,475 1960--1,434 1970--1,638 1980--1,778 1990--1,805 2000--2,119
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES Gregg Township has the following villages and towns: Spring Mills, McCormick's, Rising Springs, Farmers Mills, Penn Hall, Beaver Dam, Cooperstown, Greenville, Locust Grove and Beach. For a further discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.)
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS Tax assessment records for Gregg Township from 1827 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons desiring to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.