Halfmoon township was erected at January sessions, 1802. Abraham Elder was the first settler in its territory in the year 1784. A Quaker settlement was formed within its limits as early as 1792 when George Wilson came into the valley. Among the early settlers were Benjamin Way, Caleb Way, Isaac and Thomas Moore, John Spencer, etc. The township is noted for its iron ore deposits. Stormstown was its earliest village, laid out by Jacob Storm early in the present century. Jacob Lebo was its first storekeeper and Abraham Elder's tavern a noted landmark of the valley. The village of Loveville was founded in 1855 by James Love.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
HALF-MOON TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS
1850--714 1860--703 1870--698 1880--563 1890--748 1900--624 1910--562 1920--433 1930--399 1940--450 1950--464 1960--478 1970--543 1980--717 1990--1,469 2000--2,357
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages and towns in Halfmoon Township include Stormstown, Walkersville, Loveville, Dunkirk, Centennial, Centre Line and Tow Hill. For a discussion of these see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Halfmoon Township from 1802 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.