Harris Township was erected out of Ferguson, Potter and Spring at April Sessions 1835, and was named in compliment to James Harris, a prominent citizen of Bellefonte, and a noted land surveyor. Its territory was considerably diminished by the erection of College Township in 1875. Among its early settlers were Jacob Jack, Michael Jack, James Watson, John Irvin, James Galbraith, etc., and its earlier surveys dates back to 1767. Its oldest village, Boalsburg, was laid out by Andrew Stroup, December 10, 1810, and Boalsburg Academy was erected in 1853. Its other village, Linden Hall, is situated on the Lewisburg and Tyrone railroad. The Bear Meadows located in the southern end of the township is an interesting feature of the township and now the scene of extensive lumber operations.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
HARRIS TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS
1850--1,954 1860--1,949 1870--1,999 1880--942 1890--869 1900--826 1910--759 1920--715 1930--809 1940--943 1950--1,134 1960--2,070 1970--3,504 1980--3,415 1990--4,167 2000--4,657
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages and towns in Harris Township include Linden Hall, Shingletown, Boalsburg, Springfield and Brookside. For a discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Harris Township from 1836 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.