The Borough of Howard is situated in Bald Eagle Valley, fifteen miles from Lock Haven and eleven and one-half miles from Bellefonte. The first house on the site was built by William Tipton in 1800. The first store there was started by H. B. Packer, a brother of Governor Packer, in 1830. The Howard Iron Works were located near the town as early as 1829. The canal was completed to Howard in 1837 and it is now connected with commerce by the Bald Eagle Valley railroad. The town was incorporated into a Borough by Act of Assembly of May 3, 1864.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
HOWARD BOROUGH CENSUS FIGURES
1890--554 1900--563 1910--667 1920--621 1930--664 1940--726 1950--754 1960--770 1970--751 1980--838 1990--749 2000--699
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Howard Borough from 1865 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.