Huston Township was erected at August Sessions, 1838, by a division of Patton township and called in honor of Hon. Charles Huston, a former President Judge of the District. The earliest settler in the territory of Huston was Thomas Parsons in 1784, who was followed by David Kilgour, and the Williams family is the most numerous of present residents. The village of Julian, a station on the Bald Eagle Valley railroad, resulted from the establishment of Julian furnace on its site in 1837 by General James Irvin. It is a great point of shipment for lumber. Martha furnace was established by Roland and James Curtin in 1830. Nothing remains of either furnaces except their sites and the names, preserved by post-offices and stations at the respective localities.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
HUSTON TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS
1850--375 1860--633 1870--863 1880--892 1890--766 1900--750 1910--674 1920--631 1930--500 1940--558 1950--572 1960--661 1970--837 1980--1,222 1990--1,282 2000--1,311
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages and towns in Huston Township include Martha and Julian. For a further discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Huston Township from 1840 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.