Liberty township is bounded on the East by Beech creek; Marsh creek runs through its centre and Bald Eagle creek through the Southern portion. Its village is Eagleville, or Blanchard, the latter being the post-office and station name. Surveys within its territory were made as early as July, 1769. Among its earliest settlers were John Marsden, Christian Bechdel, the Kunes', Gardners, etc. The township was erected at August Sessions, 1845. In 1832 Elder Nathan J. Mitchell organized the first Society of Disciples in the territory and a meeting house was erected near Eagleville shortly afterward; and the same year Eagleville was laid out in town lots by Solomon Strong and Dr. Roberts and the first house erected thereon by Michael Brickley.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
LIBERTY TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS
1860--748 1870--1,062 1880--1,284 1890--1,244 1900--1,100 1910--1,226 1920--1,107 1930--1,268 1940--1,273 1950--1,276 1960--1,262 1970--1,213 1980--1,618 1990--1,747 2000--1,830
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages and towns in Liberty Township include Eagleville, Monument and Blanchard. For further information about these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Liberty Township from 1847 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.