MARION TOWNSHIP

The first permanent settler of the territory of Marion was Thomas Wilson, who came into the valley in 1785. He was followed by the McCalmonts and McEwens, David Lamb, James Hutchinson, Hugh McClelland, etc., and Lick Run Presbyterian church was organized in October, 1798. Its village is Jacksonville, post-office name "Walker." Marion township was erected by a decree of Court of August 26, 1840, by dividing Walker Township by a line along the top of Nittany ridge. There is considerable iron ore of good quality in the township. The nearest outlet by railroad is by way of Howard on the Bald Eagle Valley railroad

(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)

MARION TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS

1850--595
1860--661
1870--823
1880--674
1890--611
1900--536
1910--486
1920--485
1930--419
1940--493
1950--411
1960--412
1970--447
1980--661
1990--730
2000--978

(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)

TOWNS & VILLAGES

Villages and towns within Marion Township include Jacksonville and Walker. For a further discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.

TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS

Tax assessment records for Marion Township from 1841 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.

This page is part of the Centre County PAGenWeb Project
Copyright 2001 by Robert L. Baker