The town plan of Milesburg was surveyed in the year 1793 by direction of Colonel Samuel Miles, of Philadelphia. It was the site of an Indian village known as "Bald Eagle's Nest," having been the home of Indian Chief Bald Eagle. Andrew Boggs was the first settler of the locality in 1769. The Erie turnpike was completed from Milesburg over the Allegheny Mountains in 1822 and in 1847 the Bald Eagle canal opened to Milesburg. In 1864 the Bald Eagle Valley railroad was completed and after the flood of 1865 the canal was abandoned. The post-office at Milesburg was established March 13, 1797, the first post-office in the territory of Centre County, and Joseph Green appointed postmaster. By the Act of March 3, 1843, Milesburg was incorporated as a Borough.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
MILESBURG BOROUGH CENSUS FIGURES
1890--714 1900--594 1910--531 1920--545 1930--644 1940--681 1950--733 1960--1,158 1970--1,196 1980--1,309 1990--1,144 2000--1,187
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Milesburg Borough from 1844 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.