The town was laid out by Philip Gunkle in 1798. Two old mills occupied a portion of the site of this town, Gunkle's and Hubler's. This fact suggested the name of the town, Millheim; home of the mills. As early as 1802 there were about fifty inhabitants. In 1826 the turnpike was extended to Millheim from Mifflinburg, and in January 1879, it was made a Borough by a decree of Court. In 1879 the Millheim turnpike road, connecting the Borough with the Lewisburg and Tyrone railroad at Coburn station was laid out.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
MILLHEIM BOROUGH CENSUS FIGURES
1890--700 1900--612 1910--626 1920--515 1930--659 1940--682 1950--750 1960--780 1970--871 1980--800 1990--847 2000--749
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Millheim Borough from 1879 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.