Penn Township was erected by a decree of Court on 30th of November, 1844. Brush Mountain forms its Northern boundary, Haines Township is on the East and Gregg Township on the West, and its Southern portion extends into the Seven Mountains. Its vill age is Coburn, a station on the Lewisburg and Tyrone railroad, at the forks of the Penns and Pine creeks, Millheim within the township limits, being now a Borough. A turnpike road runs from Millheim to Coburn, constructed in 1879. Surveys were made in the territory of Penn Township as early as October 1766, and its settlers, among them Samuel Hoy, John Wall and John Livingston, as early as 1773 and 1774, and one of its later prominent citizens was Hon. Jacob Kryder.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
PENN TOWNSHIP CENSUS FIGURES
1860--1,054 1870--1,158 1880--814 1890--978 1900--880 1910--856 1920--809 1930--775 1940--736 1950--672 1960--708 1970--769 1980--853 1990--935 2000--1,044
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Penn Township has the following villages and towns: Rotes Mills, Coburn, Green Briar, Zerby, Sober, The Forks, Frogtown, Hartertown, Smithtown and Ready Cash. For a further discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.)
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Penn Township from 1845 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons desiring to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Penn sylvania Room.