Philipsburg, on the east bank of the Moshannon creek, the boundary line between Centre and Clearfield counties, was laid out by Henry and James Philips' direction in 1795. The first important improvements were made by Hardman Philips, who arrived in 1809. He built a screw factory, which was the first factory of the kind in the United States. As early as 1830 he secured a charter of a railroad intended to connect Philipsburg with Huntingdon. Thirty-three years, however, elapsed before Philipsburg was connected with the outside world by railroad, which was accomplished by the Tyrone and Clearfield railroad in 1863. The Borough of Philipsburg was incorporated by a decree of Court November 29, 1864, and was subsequently divided into three wards.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
PHILIPSBURG BOROUGH CENSUS FIGURES
1890--3,245 1900--3,266 1910--3,585 1920--3,900 1930--3,600 1940--3,963 1950--3,988 1960--3,872 1970--3,700 1980--3,533 1990--3,048 2000--3,056
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Philipsburg Borough from 1865 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.