Potter Township, one of the original townships of Centre Co., was erected at May Sessions 1774, while the territory was in Northumberland County, and was called after Gen. James Potter, one of its earliest settlers. Potter's Old Fort is within its present limits. The turnpike from Lewistown to Bellefonte runs through it from South to North, meeting the turnpike from Lewisburg at the Old Fort Tavern. Its villages now are Centre Hill and Potters Mills, both post-offices. Grange Park, belonging to the Patrons of Husbandry, is located within its limits, adjoining Centre Hall station on the Lewisburg and Tyrone railroad. Progress Grange, No. 96, P. of H., was organized February 12, 1873. Hon. Leonard Rhone is now general manager at the park. The township has two precincts, North and South.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
POTTER TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS
1850--2,216 1860--2,223 1870--2,378 1880--2,375 1890--1,764 1900--1,765 1910--1,471 1920--1,418 1930--1,284 1940--1,469 1950--1,402 1960--1,483 1970--1,878 1980--2,643 1990--3,020 2000--3,339
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages and towns in Potter Township include Potters Mills, Potters Banks, Black Hawk, Tussey Sink, Red Mill, Colyer, Old Fort, Tusseyville, Churchville, Earleystown, Earleysburg, Sprucetown and Centre Hill. For a discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Potter Township from 1802 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.