The name of Upper Bald Eagle Township was changed in 1801 to that of Spring, a very proper name on account of the numerous large springs within its limits. This township is noted for its forges, nail works, axe factory, etc. John Dunlop erected a forge as early as 1798 near the Borough limits of Bellefonte. He was succeeded by the Valentines and Thomas in 1815. These works are now operated successfully by the Valentine Iron Company, J. W. Gephart, Esq., President, under the management of Robert Valentine. Mann's axe factory was started at Logan Branch at now village of Axemann by William and Harvey Mann in 1828; these works are now operated by a syndicate, of which J. Fearon Mann, of Bellefonte, is the representative and manager.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)
SPRING TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS
1850--2,280 1860--1,461 1870--1,608 1880--2,238 1890--3,190 1900--2,921 1910--3,075 1920--2,948 1930--3,583 1940--4,053 1950--4,600 1960--5,018 1970--4,929 1980--5,006 1990--5,344 2000--6,117
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages and towns in Spring Township include Pleasant Gap, Harrisonville, Connelley's Gap, Sunnyside, Coleville, Rabbit Hill, Eggtown, Prossertown, Lyonstown, Bush Addition, Pleasant View, Red Roost, Bologna Hill, Banantown, Verna Hill, Gilltown, Brick Row, Nigh Bank, Fishing Creek School, The Forge, Logan Furnace, Axemann, Boiling Springs and Irish Hollow. For a discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Spring Township from 1801 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.