"For 40 years the little settlement around the State Agricultural School in Centre County had been 'the town that had no name.' About 1900 a controversy began over choosing a name for the town. 'McAllister,' 'Nittany' and 'Irvin' all were considere d as appropriately honoring prominent citizens, but the majority chose to continue calling the town after the college as had been done in the past. So it remained State College, and continues as such today. State College was incorporated from Colle ge Township on August 29, 1896.
(SOURCE: Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, (1961.)
STATE COLLEGE BOROUGH CENSUS RECORDS
1900--1,218 1910--3,025 1920--5,603 1930--8,870 1940--12,918 1950--17,227 1960--22,409 1970--33,778 1980--36,130 1990--38,923 2000--38,420
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for State College Borough from 1897 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in t he Pennsylvania Room.