TAYLOR TOWNSHIP

The land in Taylor Township was, for the most part, taken up on warrants in the years 1792 and 1793. The first settler in the territory was William Birge. The Vaughn brothers came there first in the year 1792--Richard, Joseph and Benjamin Vaughn. Elijah Merriman also came with them. Hannah Furnace was built in 1832, but has not been in operation for many years. Among its present residents is John T. Fowler, who in 1871 commenced large lumber operations. The township was organized by a decree of Court dated January 27, 1847, out of Half-Moon township.

(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)

TAYLOR TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS

1850--349
1860--351
1870--512
1880--617
1890--577
1900--564
1910--493
1920--419
1930--371
1940--449
1950--397
1960--477
1970--499
1980--657
1990--714
2000--741

(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)

TOWNS & VILLAGES

Villages and towns in Taylor Township include Fowler, Hannah, Buddville, Gardner and Dix. For a discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.

TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS

Tax assessment records for Taylor Township from 1849 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.

This page is part of the Centre County PAGenWeb Project
Copyright 2001 by Robert L. Baker