Union Township was erected by a decree of Court dated November 29, 1850, out of Boggs township. Its Northern portion lies along the Allegheny mountains and it is traversed by Dick's run and McCormick's run, which empty into Bald Eagle creek, which flows through the Southern portion of Union township. Among the early settlers of the territory were Martin and John Hoover, John Irwin, a Friend, from Chester County, Leonard Peters of Lancaster County, William Blair, William Campbell, etc. The Philadelphia and Erie turnpike passed through its territory and there were some noted taverns on this turnpike: John Hoover's, Archy Moore's and the "Rattlesnake," kept by Benjamin Lucas* at an early day, which have all disppeared with the change in public improvements.
(SOURCE: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890; *Ed. Note: the 1890 work gave William's last name as Bennett.)
UNION TOWNSHIP CENSUS RECORDS
1860--848 1870--847 1880--1,086 1890--820 1900--846 1910--777 1920--537 1930--577 1940--694 1950--683 1960--663 1970--809 1980--1,139 1990--895 2000--1,200
(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)
TOWNS & VILLAGES
Villages and towns in Union Township include Aqua, Clarks, Bear Rocks, Plum Grove, Petersburg and Bush Hollow. For a discussion of these, see Paul M. Dubbs, Where to Go and Place-Names of Centre County, 1961.
TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS
Tax assessment records for Union Township from 1851 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.