WORTH TOWNSHIP

Surveys on Bald Eagle creek in the territory of Worth were made as early as May 17, 1770, but its whole territory nearly is covered by the Gratz block of surveys of July 1793. Cyrus Cartwright made the first improvement about 1785 where Daniel Frantz now lives. George Records, George Ardry and William Kelly were among its early settlers. The pioneer grist mill was erected by Abraham Elder in 1806 in the Western end of the township. Its village, Port Matilda, was laid out in 1850 by Clement Beckwith, Esq. The township was erected out of Taylor by a decree of Court July 27, 1848, and called Worth in honor of General Worth, one of the heroes of the war with Mexico.

(Source: Eleventh Census of the Population of the United States Published by Boroughs and Townships, in Connection with a Business Directory of the Same, Bellefonte, Pa., 1890.)

WORTH TOWNSHIP CENSUS FIGURES

1850--302
1860--246
1870--650
1880--809
1890--840
1900--732
1910--754
1920--831
1930--324
1940--409
1950--354
1960--357
1970--475
1980--568
1990--709
2000--835

(Source: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)

TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS

Tax assessment records for Worth Township from 1849 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.

This page is part of the Centre County PAGenWeb Project
Copyright 2001 by Robert L. Baker