CHESTER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
Part of the
AMERICAN LOCAL HISTORY NETWORK


FALLOWFIELD TOWNSHIP 
Including East & West


Home
| Township Listing


EAST FALLOWFIELD TOWNSHIP | WEST FALLOWFIELD TOWNSHIP


Fallowfield is supposed to have been named in honor of Lancelot Fallowfield, of Great Strickland, in Westmoreland Co., England, who was one of the first purchasers of land from William Penn.  John Salkeld, a noted Quaker preacher, who came from that part of England, bought the right of Lancelot Fallowfield, and took up land in that township in 1714, and may have suggested the name.  In 1718 the name appears in the assessment with only three taxables,--Thomas Wooddell, George Lenard, Robert Holly.  After this Sadsbury and Fallowfield formed one assessment until November, 1728, when the boundaries were by order of court, viz:  northward with East Sadsbury, eastward with the settled limits of Bradford, southward with Marlborough to the northeast corner of Penn's Manor, thence west 800 perches, and northwest to Octorara Creek, thence up the same to the line of Sadsbury.  The next year the list of taxables was as follows:

Robert Coughran
James Coughran
Robert Moore
Robert Binting
John Poston
Robert Boyl
John Boyl
James Clark
James Arbuckle
James Taylor
Joseph Pareck (Parke)
Joseph Wilson
Ann Wilson
Robert McCluer
Jacob Martin
Robert Fleming
James Scot
Thomas Coole
William Wilson
David Hastings
David Hastings, Jr.
Thomas Woddall
Simeon Woodrow
Patrick Montgomery
William Adams
Nicholas Jones
Patrick Adams
Arthur Parke
John Stringer
George Miller

Freemen.--

Archibald McNet
Saml. Forbes


February, 1731-2, petitions were addressed to the court for a division of the township by the north branch of Doe Run, now called Buck Run, and the request renewed seven years later, but it was not until 1743 that the matter was accomplished.    At the time of this division we find among the inhabitants of the eastern part the names of Blelock, Bentley, Dennis, Fleming, Filson, Hanna, Hayes, and Mode; and in the western part the names of Adams, Cochran, Moore, Parke, and Wilson.  A part of West Marlborough was subsequently added to East Fallowfield.

There was much difficulty about the line between West Fallowfield and the townships southward, and in 1748 it was run at different times and by different surveyors.

In 1841 the line between West Fallowfield and Upper Oxford was run by order of court, with the view of ascertaining its exact location, which had become uncertain, and as the result a considerable strip of land, embracing some farms, which had theretofore been supposed to be in Upper Oxford, was found to be in West Fallowfield.  The line between these townships is the northern line of William Penn, Jr.'s manor.

In 1853, West Fallowfield, then the largest township in the county, was divided, and the eastern division called Highland township, the western division, adjoining the Lancaster County line, retaining the old name.  Highland township thus intervenes between East Fallowfield and West Fallowfield, which is not the case with any other townships in the county bearing the same general name.

The paper-mill of W. & A. Mode is located in this township, at Modena, on the west branch of the Brandywine, about two miles from Coatesville.  The water-power was first leased in 1742, by their great-grandfather, Alexander Mode, from Henry Hayes, but was used for more than fifty years to run saw- and fulling-mills.  In 1810, William Mode, son of Alexander, laid the foundation of the main building of the present structure, and in 1812 his sons, Alexander and William, commenced the manufacture of paper.  The daily product of paper then was about 250 pounds, made sheet by sheet, air-dried and tub sized, requiring weeks, and sometimes months, to prepare it for market.  The present firm on one occasion had paper made, dried, and cut into sheets in three hours after the rags were assorted.  In 1839, William, the senior member of the old firm, died, and in 1840 the business was discontinued, the rag-room being turned into a cocoonery; but the explosion of the multicaulis bubble made this a short-lived experiment.  In 1850, William and Alexander Mode, sons of William, remodeled the old building, added a large wing for the introduction of improved machinery, and have continued the business to the present time, increasing the daily product of the mill to 2500 pounds.  To do this, however, necessitated the addition of steam to the motive power.

On Buck Run, in the same township, are six or seven other paper-mills, one of which, known as Rokeby Paper Mill, is said to be on the site of the first rolling-mill in this country.  This mill was built by the present proprietor, J. B. Broomell, who established the paper manufacture at this place in 1866.  The product consists of hardware-paper, manilla and heavy wrappers, and binders' boards.

East Fallowfield Taxables, 1753.

West Fallowfield Taxables, 1753.

EAST FALLOWFIELD LAND-OWNERS, 1774

Robert Allen; Samuel Armstrong; Joseph Arthurs; David Bailey; Jeffrey Bently, John Bently, James Blelock; John Boyd; Patrick Calson; James Campbell;  Charles Carroll, Esq., Jonathan Chalfant; Jacob Chandler; Jarman Davis; Philip Dougherty; John Elliott; Davidson Filson; John Filson; William Freeman; Garrett Gevode;  William Grant; John Hanna; William Harlan; Thomas Haslip; Mary Hayse; Nesbit Lockart; John McFarson; William McFarson (McPherson?); William Marcey; William Mode; Andrew Oliphant; William Parkhill; John Passmore; John Patterson;  William Peoples;  John Powel; Joseph Powel; Isaac Pyle; Andrew Scott; Thomas Scott; Hugh Stewart; Samuel Thornton; John Wiley; William Wiley; Abraham Wolfington; John Worth; Robert Young;

WEST FALLOWFIELD LAND-OWNERS, 1774

Joseph Adams; William Adams; Robert Burns; John Bell; William Banting; Robert Bell; Widow Boid; William Boggs; Patterson Bell; David Brooks; George Cowpland; Nathan Cochran; James Cochran; Robert Cochran; Stephen Cochran; George Cochran; John Caruthers; Robert Cowden; John Danold; James Dunn; Samuel Futhey; Hugh Fearon; Archibald Guy; James Glendening; Adam Glendening; George Gibson; Alexander Gibson; Andrew Gibson; James Hannum; William Haslett; Nathan Hayes; Ebenezer Harper; Robert Hamill; Richard Irwin; John Irwin; Thomas Irwin; John Kirkpatrick; Andrew Kirkpatrick; Joseph Kirkpatrick; William Kees; Thomas Love; James Longhead; James Logan; David Ligget; James Ligget; George McGuire; James McCausland; Thomas McClure; Patrick McLaughlin; James McCormick; William McIlhaney; Andrew Moore; Robert Noble; Thomas Officer; Ellis Pusey; Israel Pemberton; Arthur Park; John Park, Andrew Reed; Francis Ruth; James Rankin; William Reed; James Smith; John Smith; James Scott; William Stringer; James Smith, Jr.; George Sloan; Joseph Stringer; William Sringer, Jr.; John Taylor; William Townsend; John Truman; William Vogan; Samuel Wilson; Joseph Wilson; Thomas Wallace; Sarah Weldon.

 


SOURCES:
History of Chester County, Pennsylvania; Futhey & Cope; Louis H. Everts; Philadelphia; 1881.


Home | Township Listing


This site is maintained by Cathy Wentz-Eisenstadt
Copyright 2003-2010.   All Rights Reserved.

 This page was last updated on:02/18/2009  

This free web space has been provided by RootsWeb.

People for better PA Historical Records Access (PaHR-Access)
Learn about the grassroots effort to make older PA state death certificates available on-line!!  Please consider helping.