Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

CHESTER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
Part of the
AMERICAN LOCAL HISTORY NETWORK


HONEY BROOK TOWNSHIP 

HOME | BACK


Honey Brook Township
P.O. Box 1281; 495 Suplee Road
Honey Brook, 19344
610-273-3970
Email:  hbtwp@ptd.net

Twin Valley School District


This was formed in 1789, from the western part of West Nantmeal township, the name "Nantmeal," or "Nantmel," signifying "sweet stream," or "honey brook."  The latter name is found prior to this date, and it appears that about 1734 an attempt was made to erect a township called Honeybrook.  (See Nantmeal.)

In 1718 to 1720 surveys were made at the head of the western branch of Brandywine for Jeremy Peirsol, 350 acres; James Gibbons, 1200; John Adams, 500; William Cloud, 350; Henry Batterton, 300; William Buffington, 500; William Baldwin, 300; Thomas Baldwin, 125; Richard Parker, 250; William Dean, Jeremiah Dean, and Matthew Wilson, each 200; and Edward Harris, 400 acres.

The Indians complained that James Gibbons survey included their town, but it probably remained uncultivated a long time.  Col. William Gibbons, a grandson, resided thereon for some time prior to the Revolution.  Our venerable friend, Alexander Marshall, gives the following account of the origin of the town of Waynesburg, now Honeybrook.


"About the year 1815 the ground on which the village of Waynesburg, in Honeybrook twonship, now stands was an old field or common that had not been fenced in since the making of the Horseshoe turnpike, on the north side of that road.  On the south side of the turnpike was a tavern, called the 'General Wayne' with a square, old fashioned sign hung to the breeze, on which was painted what purported to be a likeness of the general on horseback, dressed in Revolutionary equipments, boots, and spurs, mounted on a chestnut-sorrel prancing steed.  This tavern-house stood on the left corner of a raod that intersected with the turnpike leading to the Mariner's Compass, now called Compassville.  On the right side of this road stood a stone storehouse, kept by David Hackett, a single man, who boarded at the tavern.  The tavern was kept by Jonathan Jones, who while living there represented, in part, Chester County in the Lower House of the State Legislature, and afterwards was sheriff of Chester County.  Besides these two buildings, there was a small two-story stone house on the north side of the turnpike, about one hundred yards farther west.  There was a school-house that stood lower down the  turnpike, on the south side, near where the railroad now crosses said pike, and was called the 'General Wayne School-house.'  This was about the position of things at the date above named.
"There was an Irish schoolmaster by the name of Stinson, who had saved some money by teaching in the neighborhood for some years.  He bought this old field by way of speculation, got is surveyed into town-lots, and made a lottery,--lotteries were then fashionable and not unlawful.  He sold the tickets mostly on credit, as almost everybody could buy on credit at that date.  The lottery was drawn, and those who drew lots fronting on the turnpike promptly paid for their tickets and received titles.  Those who drew back lots were not so prompt, and many of them remained on Mr. Stinson's hands.  In a short time some of the owners of front lots began to build.  This encouraged others, and then the back lots became more valuable.  There was one drawback very discouraging, the want of water.  The situation is on an elevated ridge dividing the headwaters of the East and West Brandywine Creeks.  Wells had to be put down at considerable expense, which retarded improvement for some time, but even this has been overcome by enterprise."


SOURCES:
History of Chester County, Pennsylvania; Futhey & Cope; Louis H. Everts; Philadelphia; 1881.


HOME | BACK


 

This site is maintained by Cathy Wentz-Eisenstadt
Copyright 2003-2010.   All Rights Reserved.

 This page was last updated on:02/18/2009  

This free web space has been provided by RootsWeb.

People for better PA Historical Records Access (PaHR-Access)
Learn about the grassroots effort to make older PA state death certificates available on-line!!  Please consider helping.