(erected about 1873-1874)
506 Penn St. (Penn & Taylor Streets)
Sligo, PA 16255
Up until sometime in the 60's, the Sligo Charge of Methodist churches comprised Cherry Run, Sligo, Curllsville, Pine Grove, and Monroe Chapel. Somewhere in 60's the charge was divided -- Curllsville and Monroe Chapel became a separate appointment.
CURLLSVILLE: The old Methodist Church, with adjoining cemetery, stood on the hill. Later, it was torn down, moved to its present location, which was donated by another pioneer, Tom Riley. The church was built in 1869 or '70. The Grace Reformed Church was built in 1873. The first pastor was Rev. Shumaker. A school house was located near the Methodist Church. Later, the I. 0. 0. F. hall was purchased and used as a school building until razed 'by fire several years ago.
A log church was built by the local Methodist congregation on the CLOYD LERCH property in 1840. The present property was deeded to the Board of Trustees on Aug. 10, 1870. One year later, a new structure had been erected.
The Methodist Society of Curllsville under the leadership of the Rev. Abner Jackson, soon became part of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Erie Conference.
The Curllsville Charge then included much of the Clarion district.
The Conference combined the Cherry Run, Monroe, Sligo, and Curllsville congregations in 1865, as well as Greenville (now Limestone) and Pine Grove, which later became part of other charges.
In 1883, the entire unit became the Sligo Charge. Restructuring in the 1950s joined the Curllsville church with those in Monroe and Pine Grove, until the congregation at Pine Grove dissolved in 1971.
Most recently, in 1994, the Curllsville Monroe Chap Charge jointed with the Manor Charge and formed the MCM Cooperative Parish.
Present pastors are Clara and Jerry Belliot, both fully ordained Methodist ministers.
The Methodist Cemetery is still located at its original site. With the exception of an annex that was added in 1953, the century-old structure remains firmly planted in Curllsville.
Although many of the church records have been lost throughout the years due to numerous affiliates, the congregation has sustained an ongoing ministry to the residents of the village. In addition, several members, including BOB MYERS, MARTIN HARDY, PAUL LEE, and others, have gone on to serve in full-time ministry to other communities.
Source: In This Village: Curllsville; Leader-Vindicator, Wednesday, October 5, 2005
History of Erie Conference ... - Page 615
Jason Nelson Fradenburgh - History - 1907
CURLLSVILLE, Pa., AND KENT, OHIO.
The first society of Curllsville and Sligo Charge was organized at Curllsville by Abner Jackson in 1831. Sarah and Jared Howe, George and Morris Reid, Fiddler, Daniel Murray, David, Barbara, Daniel and Sarah Slaugenhaupt, Thomas, Michael and Mary Riley, and Sarah Benn were members of the class when first organized. Curllsville Charge then included much of what is now the Clarion District; but it was divided and subdivided until 1865, when it had six appointments: Cherry Run, Curllsville, Greenville, Madison Furnace, Monroe or Polk Furnace, and Sligo.
The first quarterly conference was held at Cherry Run September 4, 1865; R. H. Hurlburt, presiding elder, and J. F. Hill, circuit preacher. Official members present: J. C. Hoover, Adam Davis, B. F. Baker, Jacob Hodil, John Bole, Lewis Crick, S. C. Wilson and Thomas Riley.
In 1867 Greenville was dropped from the circuit, and in 1872 Madison Furnace. The charge was then composed of the remaining- four appointments until 1892 when a church near Piney belonging to the United Brethren was purchased by our people and an appointment known as Pine Grove established there
Cherry Run for a great many years has been a good, strong country church. The class worshiped in a little old school house, which is still standing, until the present church was erected in 1872. Boston Gardner is the oldest member who is still living (1902). He has been a member of this class sixty-seven years.
Curllsville class abandoned the old church which stood on the hill above town in 1871 and erected the present building which was remodeled a few years ago, making a very neat and attractive church.
Monroe class met in a schoolhouse until the house, with bibles and hymn books, was burned by an enemy of all Methodists. The present church, a fairly good building, was erected in 1861.
There is a good, strong class at Sligo with an excellent church. It was practically rebuilt during the pastorate of F. A. Mills. In 1882 the old parsonage at Curllsville was sold and a new one built on a lot alongside the church at Sligo.
The Cherry Run camp ground is within the bounds of this charge. Camp meetings have been held there every year since the charge has had an existence. Thousands attend these meetings, which are a source of great spiritual profit.
METHODIST MINISTERS SERVING THE AREA
Adams, J.K. - Methodist (Sligo) 1906
Baker, W.A. - Methodist (Sligo)
Belloit, Jerry — Methodist (Curllsville) 2003
Campbell, Charles - Methodist Episcopal (Sligo/Pine Grove) 1913-1914
Chelton, Loyd - Methodist (Sligo) 1947
Doughty, Rodney — United Methodist (Curllsville) - 1980’s
Dunlap, Paul B. - Methodist (Sligo) 1951-1956
Fair, Frederick—Methodist (Curllsville) 1870
Felt, Russell Madison Methodist (Sligo)
Fetzer, John A. & Dorothy (McCullough) — Methodist, Monroe Twp
Garnett, S.J. —Methodist
Gormon, J. Lee —Methodist (Sligo) 1950’s
Haines, C.M. —Methodist (Sligo) 1915
Harmon, William M. —Methodist (Sligo, Callensburg) - 1930+
Hasenplug, Edward Charles—Methodist — (12/29/1892-9/17/1950) – (Leonora Sankey) - Conference Relations:
Heston, William — Methodist (Curllsville) 1972
Hunt, Cornelius - Methodist
Ingersoll, Winfield Scott—Sligo/Curllsville/ Cherry Run/Monroe Chapel 1943-1944
Ingraham, Samuel W.—Methodist (Sligo/Rimersburg)
Jewell, Gale A. & Eilleen —Methodist (Sligo) (Cherry Run) early 1970’s
Johnson, Thomas —United Methodist
Keller, Ahab (1850-1852—Curllsville)
Korb, Forest “Victor” and Edith — Methodist (Shamburg)
Miller, Paul E.— United Methodist Church of Christ (Curllsville) 1969
Milliron, Bill & Gladys—Methodist (Curllsville)
Planett, D.C. - Methodist (Sligo)
Renwick, Albert J. & Lucille (Briggs) —Methodist, Curllsville/Monroe Chapel 1940’s
Rhodes, Dale — Methodist (Sligo)
Russell, Richard C. (Rick) - Methodist (Sligo)
Shearer, Elvin — United Methodist (Sligo) 1970’s
Shelton, Rev. — Methodist (Sligo) mid 1940’s
Shepherd, Mr. - Methodist
Showers, L.J. - Methodist
Thomas, Milton Ivon & Eleanor Methodist (Sligo/Curllsville) 1930
Weldon, Jos W. - Methodist (Sligo)
Source: Minutes of the Erie Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church By Methodist Episcopal Church. Erie Conference 1882 pg 52-53 — Jos. W. Weldon was born at Little York, Pa., Jan. 12, 1811, and died July 12, 1888, at Sligo, Pa. When 18 years old he was converted in a prayer meeting at Punxsutawney, and there united with the Church. At 21 he was united in marriage with Miss M.A. Bisskett. They had seven children, three of whom, with their mother, survive to mourn his departure. Bro. Weldon was licensed as local preacher Oct. 5, 1850. It was signed by Rev. W.F. Wilson, his Presiding Elder. He joined the Erie Conference in July, 1853. From that time he served the church faithfully twelve consecutive years as traveling preacher in Pennsylvania and Ohio. In 1865 he was granted a location at his own request. Subsequently he used his office and gifts when occasion offered as local preacher until 1885, when he was appointed as a supply, and served as preacher in charge of Clarington Circuit. In 1886 he was appointed to the charge of Sligo Circuit, in which he continued till failing health compelled him to cease active labor. For weary months he was confined to the house, spending weeks of intense suffering upon his bed. In his late years, and especially in his last sickness, his life presented rare fruits of a ripe Christian experience. As in his days of strength and battle, he trusted God, and was helped. So in his physical suffering and decline, he found God a very present help in trouble. Many and precious were his utterances of patience and unswerving trust in God, for the comfort of those who were so soon lonely and so keenly to feel their loss in his departure. He came to his end as a "shock of corn fully ripe." He had the witness that the blood of Christ cleansed from all sin, and in that he rejoiced that the angels took him to where Jesus is. As a man, Bro. Weldon was upright and honorable. He was a loving, loyal husband, a kind and indulgent father, and an unfaltering friend. His convictions of righteousness and truth were strong, and he possessed the courage to assert them as he believed duty required. As a preacher, he was logical, consider, incisive and lucid. His last public ministration was in Sligo Church, where he assisted in the Children's Easter Missionary services. With difficulty his cheering words were spoken, and, exhausted, he returned to his home. When next his form entered the house of God, it was borne by loved friends, while his sorrowing flock and brother ministers paid their last tribute of respect to his high Christian character and to his faithful ministry of the Word of God.
Rev. Milton Thomas, Curllsville Methodist Minister. Photo courtesy of Pam Valdez
Photo taken by Frank Sherman. Photo furnished by Alec Stewart. Photo labeled by Anna Grace McCall Stewart prior to her death in 1986. (Surname spellings have been corrected and maiden/middle names applied as known).
5/8/1929 Oil City Derrick—SLIGO NEWS — On last Sunday morning Rev. Milton Thomas of Local Methodist church delivered a very fitting sermon from the subject: "Hell a Necessity." His theme dealt with the necessity of hell from the viewpoint of the justice of God.
A meeting of the Ladies' Missionary society of Curllsville was held at the home of Mrs. T.R. Slaugenhaupt, Thursday afternoon. A business meeting was conducted by President Mrs. W.J. Shook after which a social time and program and last but not least a delicious lunch was served. Mrs. E.O. Wagner of Sligo was the only guest present. Members present were: Mrs. W.J. Shook, Mrs. P.M. Fox, Mrs. Herman Fox, Mrs. E.E. Longwell, Mrs. A.F. Hartman, Mrs. Ray Shook, Mrs. J.E. Shook, Mrs. S.S. Gathers, Mrs. Annie Hartman, Mrs. E.E. Sayers, Mrs. D.D. Conrad, Mrs. W.W. Courson, Mrs. C.D. Barger, Mrs. Ellen Hartman and Mrs. T.R. Slaughenhaupt.
Sligo was represented at the Clarion district Methodist conference held at Shippenville Thursday and Friday of last week. Paul Ion of the Sligo charge was licensed to preach. Rev. Ion will preach in Sligo M.E. church next Sunday evening. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
12/10/1953 Derrick—Curllsville, Dec. 9 - A dedication service was held in the Methodist church Sunday December 6. Morning worship was conducted by Rev. McIntosh, district superintendent of Clarion; afternoon service by a former pastor, Rev. Renwick, of Falls Creek, and evening service by Rev. Thomas, former pastor, of Hazen. Almost $300 was collected which will go to the building fund. The church in earlier days had been in another location, but over 80 years ago it was built at the present site. The annex was built during the past summer at a cost of over $5,000 and is in use now. Lunch and dinner was served to the pastor Rev. Paul Dunlap and family and visiting speakers. Rev. Dunlap, in giving details of the annex building and cost, explained the church has about half that amount. It has purchased a 60-cup coffee maker through sale of vanilla, six large aluminum kettles with lids, through a sale of shampoo and will have a kitchen shower after Christmas.
5/9/1957 Oil City Derrick —Curllsville - By Mrs. Bertha Kuhns — CURLLSVILLE - The Curllsville MYF met recently in the church annex. A prayer by Keith Dovenspike opened the meeting. Kinds of people who attend church was the subject discussed. Choir practice followed. The next meeting will be May 12 in the church annex. All youth are invited. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
5/9/1957 Derrick — Rev. and Mrs. Paul Dunlap, minister and wife of the Sligo Methodist Church and daughter Paulette took Mrs. Blanche Silvis and Mrs. Miriam Pierce and daughter, Jill, recently to the Clarion County Hymn Sing at East Brady. Mr. and Mrs. Claire Bracken also attended and were accompanied by Mrs. Lulu Larimer and Mrs. Orvis Larimer. A group from the local Nazarene Church was also represented. All rendered special numbers.
The week of May 5 through May 12 has been designated family week in the Methodist Church. Monroe Chapel is observing the week with a Fellowship dinner and program to be held Wednesday evening, May 8.
The annual Carnation Sale sponsored by the Young Adult Class of the Sligo Methodist Church is now in progress. Anyone wishing to purchase a carnation for Mother's Day may contact any member of the Young Adult Class.
The CIC Class of the Sligo Methodist Church reports it had about 125 in attendance at the annual Spring Swiss steak dinner held Tuesday evening, April 30, in the M.E. Hall.
The ladies of the class served the dinner which consisted of mashed potatoes, tossed salad, vegetable, relishes, angel food cake and ice cream as well as a slice of home-style Swiss steak.
The ladies of the class thank all who attended their dinner.
Chairmen of the kitchen committee were Mrs. Rachel Burns and Mrs. Marie Johnson. Chairman of the dining room committee was Mrs. Kay Hetrick.
5/9/1957 Derrick—Sligo News
The WSCS of the Sligo Methodist Church, at their meeting Wednesday evening, May 1, planned a family fellowship dinner to be held beginning at 6 p.m. in the Methodist Hall, Tuesday, May 14.
Mrs. Mirian Pierce, president, conducted the meeting, at which 16 were present.
She stated the dinner will be held for the church fellowship and will be tureen style. The mite box opening will be made following the dinner.
Wednesday evening's program was in charge of Dimple Burns and Linda Wagner. Hostesses were Blanche Silvis and Rachel Burns.
Election of the secretary and treasurer was held at the meeting. Lulu Larimer was chosen secretary while Alice Hartman was re-elected treasurer. Evelyn McKee is vice president.
The next regular meeting of the WSCD will be held Wednesday, Jun 5.
10/17/1957 Curllsville Church Guild Has Dinner by Bertha Kuhns
CURLLSVILLE - The Curllsville Women's Guild served a chicken dinner at noon Thursday. Although the weather was fine, there was not the usual good attendance of members. There was a program and business meeting in the afternoon with Mrs. Kaye Shook in charge of the program and devotions. The topic was "Our Friends - The Congregational Church." Thirteen answered roll call with a Scripture verse. They were Verna Over, Kaye Shook, Blodwen Sayers, Jessie Shook, Gertie Shook, Gladys Sayers, Martha Best, Lottie Grimm, Sally Booker, Emma Conrad, Lulu Hartman, Ruth Hartman and Bertha Kuhns. Community Day will be observed in the United Church of Christ, Evangelical and Reformed November 4. The used clothing requested will be sent to Refugee Camps in Europe or Asia. The Guild gave $20 and appointed a committee of three: Mrs. Kaye Shook, Mrs. Jessie Shook and Mrs. Gertie Shook, to purchase blankets to send. They are called "parcels for peace." Anyone having used clothes they wish to send are asked to take them to the church or give them to Kaye Shook.
Mrs. Blodwen Sayers, Mrs. Blanche Hartman, Mrs. Gladys Sayers, Mrs. Bertha Barger and Mrs. Grace Minnick attended the fall workshop of the Guild in Luthersburg recently.
The Curllsville Methodist Church was painted recently. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
11/16/1957 Sligo MYF Has Meet by Naomi Summerville
SLIGO - Sligo area M.Y.F. met Sunday evening in the Methodist Hall with Rev. and Mrs. J. Lee. Garmon, pastor of the church, and discussed the various activities they plan to carry out in the future. Eighteen youths attended and sang several songs. Mrs. Garmon gave the lesson, "Peace, Its Christians." They will meet again this Sunday.
"Redemptive Fellowship" was the theme of a Methodist ministers meeting held in the Sligo ME Hall Monday. Rev. James Cox of Knox was the leader. Attending were 21 ministers, their wives and families from the sub-district. Discussion during the day dwell on fellowship problems with which ministers are confronted.
Ladies of the W.S.C.S. served the luncheon to those attending. Serving were Mrs. Evelyn Wensel, Mrs. Miriam Peirce, and Mrs. Lulu Larimer, also serving were Patty Simpson and Judy Wagner. Judy and Patty had charge of the nursery during the meeting.
During the luncheon, Mrs. Grenci sang a special number. Rev. Redfoot led the devotions. Attending were Rev. and Mrs. James McIntosh, Clarion; Rev. and Mrs. Ralph Richardson, Clarion; Rev. and Mrs. Victor Redfoot, Kathy and Danny, East Brady; Rev. Allaman, Rimersburg; Rev. and Mrs. Nick Grenci and Wanda, Shippenville; Rev. and Mrs. Tom Johnson, New Bethlehem; Rev. and Mrs. Mervin Schwab, Callensburg and Rev. and Mrs. John Schaefer, Strattanville. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
1/9/1958 Rev. J. Lee Gormon, pastor of the Sligo Methodist Church, has offered the church hall to Rev. C.F. Hunt, pastor of the Sligo Church of the Nazarene, as a place to hold Sunday services during the time the Nazarene Church is being renovated. Sunday services were first scheduled for the Sligo Fire Hall. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
4/20/1962 Leader-Times, Kittanning, PA
NINETEEN NEW MEMBERS JOIN LOCAL, METHODISTS -- On Palm Sunday 19 new members were taken into the Methodist Church. There were five adults. Vernon Summerville and James Grant Jr. transferred membership from the Curllsville Methodist Church, Mrs. Vernon Summerville transferred membership from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lamartine, Mrs. James Grant Jr. and Mrs. Dorothy Cowatch were received into full membership. Fourteen young folk were received into full membership. They were Drew Logue, Donna Whitmer, George Cowatch, Connie Keister, Debbie Lewis, Alta Louise Logue, Shelby Shoup, Shirley Shoup, Bonnie Rummell, Nancy Baker, Bonita McKee, Evelyn Renwick, Kathy Renwick, and Marcia Wiser.
10/29/1964 Pine Grove Church WSCS Holds Meet — PINE GROVE -- The Pine Grove Methodist WSCS met at the home of Mrs. Ada and Mrs. Marjory Finnefrock recently with nine members present. Mrs. George Myers had the devotions. She used the hymn, "He Leadeth Me" and read from the book of Genesis followed with prayer. The program subject was "Mothers of Other Cultures." Parts of the lesson were given by Mrs. William Milliron, Miss Pearl Bashline, Mrs. Estella Finnefrock, Mrs. Lena Over, Mrs. Marjory Finnefrock, Mrs. Dorothy Krauss, and Miss Zoe Bashline. Mrs. Myers conducted a Bible quiz. During the business meeting Mrs. Over reported that every Methodist family in the Pine Grove Church received the Together magazine. Cancelled postage stamps, coupons and used greeting cards were collected by Mrs. Milliron. Reports of the sub-district meeting at Emlenton were given by those attending. Prayer cards for the week of October 25-31 were distributed. A Call to Prayer and Self-Denial service will be held with the place to be announced. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
5/19/1969 Mrs. Hartman Is In Charge of Program
SLIGO - Mrs. Kathryn Hartman was in charge of the program for the meeting of the Women's Society of Christian Service for the United Methodist Church.
The study program "Understanding Modern Youth" was in the form of a letter by the youth to the older generation, enabling them to consider certain important trends in the young adult population and to explore the implications these trends have for the church and the older generation's arriving at the conclusion that "modern youth's way is not an easy way either." Questions and discussions followed the lesson.
Mrs. Lillian Confer, president, opened the business meeting with a poem "Ketches," and an invitation was read to attend a picnic at the Ruth M. Smith Children's Home in Sheffield on Saturday, June 14, at 12:00 noon.
Final plans were made for the Fellowship Supper to be held May 11 in the church social rooms in honor of Bernard K. Williams, a native African minister of Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa.
Mrs. Confer was hostess for the social hour which followed the meeting.
Others in attendance for the meeting were Mrs. Ruth Burns, Mrs. Lois Greenawalt, Mrs. Lula Larimer, and Mrs. Hartman.
5/30/1969 Derrick - Recognition Day is Held at UM Church
SLIGO - Senior Recognition Day was held in the Sligo United Methodist Church for students of the 1969 graduating class of Union High School.
Bible were presented by Rev. Gale A. Jewell, pastor of the church, and John Meier to the following graduates:
Becky Bruner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Bruner; John Elliott, son of Mr. and Mrs. Craig Elliott; Daniel and Donald Gathers, twin sons of Mrs. Sally Gathers; Gayla Jewell, daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Jewell, Brenda Johnston, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Johnston; Dennis Keister, son of Mr. and Connell Keister; Patricia Larimer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arvis Larimer; Kathy Rummell; Carl H. Vogle, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Vogle.
Receiving Bibles but not in attendance at the church service were Dennis Finotti, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Finotti, and Dennis and Davis McKinney, twin sons of Mr. and Mrs. Fred McKinney.
7/4/1969 Methodist CIC Class Has Meeting
SLIGO - The CIC Class of the Sligo United Methodist Church opened their meeting with Mrs. Ila Meier reading the scripture.
Five sick calls were reported and plans were made to serve a wedding reception.
Members attending the meeting were Mrs. Pat Klingensmith, Mrs. Marguarite Burkett, Mrs. Rachel Burns, Mrs. Virginia Davis, Mrs. Zelma Elliott, Mrs. Marie Johnston, Mrs. Edna McKinney, Mrs. Ila Meier and Mrs. Juanita Walls.
The door prize provided by Mrs. Ila Meier and Mrs. Velma Elliott was awarded to Mrs. Edna McKinney.
Refreshments were served by the hostess Mrs. Klingensmith as the class met in the church basement.
8/20/1969 Minister Honored at Reception (Derrick)
SLIGO - The Sligo United Methodist Church Social Rooms was the site of a reception welcoming Rev. Gale A. Jewell and family to another year in Sligo. Rev. Jewell and his family came to the Sligo charge after serving four years in Sigel. Prior to that time he had served in the Old Pittsburgh Conference.
Rev. and Mrs. Jewell are the parents of three daughters, Deborah and Gayla at home, and Barbara, who is married and lives in Youngsville and two sons, Gale Jr. and Charles.
Mrs. Lillian Confer, president of the WSCD, was in charge of the program. Mrs. Lois Smith opened the program - A reading "A Prayer for our World" was given by Mrs. Virginia Bruner.
Carl Buteraugh presented a reading "Something to Go By" with Mrs. Kathleen Craig reading "I See God's Hand;" Mrs. Rachel Burns reading "The Minister's Visit"; Jeff Craig, "How Nice"; Mrs. Mary Hile reading "Just Smile" and Mrs. Lulu Larimer reading "Ten Little Methodists."
A poem "My Dog" was presented by Gary Henry; Mrs. Kathryn Hartman gave a reading "The Story of an Old, Old Book".
Group singing preceded the presentation of gifts by Mrs. Ila Meier to Rev. and Mrs. Jewell.
Prior to the serving of refreshments, the men attending Purdue, Don Smith, Fred Myers, Clair Bracken, Rev. Jewell and Dick Henry sang a selection. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
11/3/1969 Derrick - Sligo Church Women to Donate to Car Project - SLIGO - Members of the CIC Class of the Sligo United Methodist Church approved making a donation to the car project fund started by the Young Adults Class. The theme for the meeting "The Parable of the Sower" was conducted by Mrs. Marguarite Burkett. Eleven members answered roll call. Plans were made to serve a dinner for the Seventh Degree on Friday and it was announced that due to the Thanksgiving holiday, the next regular meeting will be held Thursday, Nov. 20. Eleven members were reported on the sick list. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
12/19/1969 Oil City Derrick — SLIGO CHURCH LISTS EVENTS — SLIGO - The following list of events has been announced by the Sligo United Methodist church for the holiday season: The CIC Class will hold a Christmas dinner for members and guests at Marie's Restaurant in Sligo at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Rev. and Mrs. Gale A. Jewell will hold open house at the parsonage between 3 and 8 p.m. Sunday. Friends and neighbors are invited to attend. A Christmas Eve candlelight communion service will be held Wednesday, Dec. 24. Special music will be provided and communion will be given every 15 minutes, beginning at 7:30 p.m. and continuing through 9 p.m. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
7/17/1970 Public Events — July 16 - Picnic of the Golden Links Class of the First United Methodist Church of Rimersburg, 6:30 p.m., 4-H grove between Sligo and Rimersburg.
7/7/1970 Sligo CIC Donates to Student by Sarah Douthett, Derrick Correspondant
SLIGO - Mrs. Virginia Davis was devotional leader for the regular meeting of the CIC at the Sligo United Methodist Church.
A report of 20 sick calls was made. It was also reported that the calss has purchased two silver candelabra to match the silver serving set recently purchased for church use.
It was decided to make a donation to Keith Gathers who is participating in the exchange student program with a student from Japan. A donation will also be made for the reception being held for the minister during July.
The class will purchase plastic recipe card covers and decorated recipe card covers to sell as the next class project.
Mrs. Pat Klingensmith was awarded the traveling prize and Mrs. Ruth Burns was presented with the entertainment prize.
The July meeting will be the annual family picnic held at the Elliott Camp on Thursday, July 23. Dinner will be served with hamburg being furnished by the class and the members furnishing a covered dish.
Mrs. Rachel Burns and Mrs. Edna McDowell served as hostesses to 11 members in attendance. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
1/26/1971 The Derrick — Methodist Church News
SLIGO - Various activities were planned for the coming year at the regular meeting of the Young Adults Class of the Sligo United Methodist Church. Dick Henry, vice president, conducted the meeting.
Mrs. Eilleen Jewell led devotions. A discussion was held concerning the Christmas party and thank you notes were read from several persons for Christmas remembrances.
Mrs. Virginia Bruner advised the class she would have literature and price lists available on cookware at the next meeting.
Mrs. Garnet Henry, a member of the WSCS discussed the "Poster Contest on Missions" to be held during the Palm Sunday Special Services April 2, 3, and 4. Rev. Herb McComas will be a guest of the church.
The contest will be for all ages, 14 years and up and members of the local United Methodist Church or Sunday School. The winner will receive a free trip to Haiti, with expenses being paid by the Commission of Missions, the local church board and donations from other classes or groups. The young adults decided to make a donation to this activity.
Accompanying a tour will be Rev. McComas. As one of the founders and co-directors of World Missions Tours, an organization dedicated to acquainting Christian workers, laymen, and youth to mission fields, around the world, he has led many crusades into various countries. More details concerning this contest will be announced as soon as available.
Following a discussion that a list of birth dates of the residents of the Clarview Rest Home for cards to be sent on these special days, Don Smith volunteered to secure a list. The card committee was asked that cards be sent as outlined.
The class also decided to send a monetary donation to Keith Gathers, the Union High School exchange student to Japan, who is a member of the Sligo church.
A discussion was led by Mrs. Lois Smith concerning the "Meals on Wheels" for shutins. She noted that "sometimes it isn't meals these people need but a visit." After a discussion and explanation of how other churches hold visitation night, it was suggested the group use the honor systems and make at least two visits before the February meeting and then report how these visits were received.
Members agreed to try with the program to also include any class members who have been absent from Sunday School and church for a period of time.
Emmett McHenry, president of the class, was reported to be improving in the Clarion Hospital.
Earl Stewart volunteered to lead devotions for the February meeting with the Sam Bruners being in charge of refreshments.
In closing, Dick Henry gave two readings. During the social time following the meeting homemade ice cream, made by the Ronald Greenawalts and Ralph Burrises and cake by the Carl Buterbaughs and Donald Smiths were served. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
1/28/1971 United Church Plans Supper
SLIGO - The following activities have been announced by the Sligo United Methodist Church.
A fellowship supper will be held at 6 p.m. Sunday at the church. A program will be held on the new Methodist Home Nursing Hospital at Meadville.
Boys and girls of the church are invited to participate in a "Poster for Missions" contest. The winner will be awarded a free trip to Haiti with Rev. Herb McComas. Judging will take place about April 2. For more complete details, contact Mrs. Virginia Wiser, telephone [edited]. Source: Derrick. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
2/23/1971 Oil City Derrick — Sligo Young Adults Class Plans For Fish Supper
SLIGO - The Young Adults Class of the Sligo United Methodist Church made plans to hold a fish supper on Saturday, March 20.
Appointed to the committee were: Ralph Burris, Mrs. Muriel Stewart, Mrs. Edna Forringer and Fred Myers. Tickets will be sold in advance.
Vice president Dick Henry conducted the meeting, attended by 19 members. Earl Stewart led devotions, and presented a reading on Abraham Lincoln.
A report on cookware and an estimated purchase was explained by Virginia Bruner. It was decided that the committee should proceed with the project and order items needed for the church kitchen. Sam Bruner reported that the calendar had been placed in the church basement.
It was also approved to sell the birthday calendars again next year with Dick Henry being appointed as chairman of this project.
A list of names and birthdays of residents at the Clarview Rest Home was present and cards will be sent to the residents on their birthdays.
Following a report on the visitation calls, it was noted that some 30 visitation calls had been made by the 19 members present. All were well received and it was decided to continue on this project.
The meeting for March will feature a covered dish supper at 7:30 p.m. Mrs. Beulah Burris will be devotional leader.
The vice president read a prayer from the Friendship Ideals magazine at the conclusion of the meeting.
Refreshments were served by Mr. and Mrs. Sam Bruner. Transcribed by Pamela Myers-Grewell.
2/23/1971 Methodist Church Slates Dinner — SLIGO - A fellowship dinner has been slated by the Sligo United Methodist Church for 6 p.m. Sunday. A Japanese minister will be guest speaker following the dinner.
10/14/1971 The Derrick — 100th ANNIVERSARY - The Curllsville Methodist Church will celebrate its 100th Anniversary on Sunday with a service at 3 p.m. following a tureen dinner at 1 p.m. Those attending are to take a covered dish. Guest speaker will be Rev. Robert Myers of Reynoldsville, formerly of Curllsville.
Monroe Chapel — located in Monroe Twp, just across the Piney Twp border, Monroe Chapel served the religious needs of many Piney Twp residents. Description: A homecoming event during the summer of 1946 was held at Monroe Chapel Methodist Church, located on Rt. 68 about 6 miles south of Clarion. Pastor was Albert J. Renrick, who is the gentleman in the dark suit seated in third row right behind the children. On his left is the Rev. John Fetzer. My father, Russell Harriger, is in second row from open doorway of the church in the center. To his right in the next row in the dark dress standing a bit sideways is my mother, Helen Laura (Sedgwick) Harriger. I am on the ground, 5th from the right among boys in the front row -- if you look closely you will see the grass stains on my knees which I tried to hide -- those other boys were always getting me in trouble, I think! Connie Harriger Smail is 4th one over from my right. Gene is on far left of the kids with his arms folded and Barb beside the lady in the black dress on left side of picture. She is almost hidden from view. Jacque is beside Clayton on the right. Don Curll is on the left side back row, in front of the window, with the big white collar on his shirt; his wife, Marjorie Curll is on the right side of the picture, last row, sixth from the end, standing to the left of the lady with the frilly hat. The first older lady two back from Jacque, is Carrie Humphrey Over. Photo submitted by Clayton Harriger. Members identified by Clayton Harriger & Lisa McClaine.
Photos of Curllsville, Shamburg (Pine Grove) Methodist Churches currently unavailable
History: Methodist Episcopal - Erie Conference. Classes were formed according to Methodist usage in the 1840's. Pastors from Rimersburg, Curllsville and Shippenville supplied the preaching. The first protracted meeting was held by Reverend Ahab Keller pastor of the Curllsville Circuit, in the Gourley cabinet shop in Callensburg in 1850. In 1851 the Church Trustees purchased two lots. The following year the first church building was dedicated. The first building burned on February 22, 1896. The new church building was built in 1897 and dedicated in August 1897. Reverend W. O. Calhoun was the pastor at that time, and R. C. Smith was the Presiding Elder. In 1968 it was on a Circuit with Perryville and West Freedom. The 1968 membership was 133. The membership on January 1, 2003 was 35.
Pastors: Curllsville/Callensburg/West Freedom: Ahab Keller 1850-1852; No Record 1852-1860; Simon G. Burton 1860-1862; Callensburg/West Freedom: Obed G. McEntire 1862-1865; John H. Starrett 1861-1867; John E. Johnson 1867-1869; Callensburg/Perrysville: William M. Hayes 1869-1871; Isaac N. Clover 1871-1874; Orsamus M. Sackett 1874-1877; Edward M. Kernick 1877-1880; Benjamin Franklin Delo 1880-1882; Joseph Henry Laverty 1882-1885; Callensburg/West Freedom: Ezra R. Knapp 1885-1887; Callensburg/Perrysville/West Freedom: James Kennedy Adams 1887-1890; William E. Frampton 1890-1895; Winfield S. Gearhart 1895-1896; William 0. Calhoun 1896-1900; Charles J. Zetler 1900-1904; Melville B. Riley 1904-1908; Henry Smallenberger 1908-1912; William Peter Lowthian 1912-1915; Callensburg/Perrysville: John J. Ware 1915-1916; Frank Charles Timmis 1916-1923; A. M. Swarmer 1923-1925; Callensburg/West Freedom: William Burhan Allison 1925-1929; Edward Charles Hasenplug 1929-1930; L. E. Gibson 1930-1931; Lee Ralph Phipps 1931-1932; William M. Harmon 1932-1937; Bernard C. Himes 1937-1940; Philip Charles Heilbrun 1940-1944; William J. Wilmoth 1944-1946; Callensburg/West Freedon/Perrysville/Mount Zion/Monterey: Merle Clifford Wonderling 1946-1953; Charles Mervin Schwab 1953-1963; Callensburg/West Freedon/Perrysville: David Jordan Lutz 1963-1965; David Spencer Caldwell 1965-1967; William Edward Shaffer 1967-August 15, 1969; Frank Stephen Tulak September 1969-1973; Delbert Wayne Wasser July 1973-1976; June Yvonne Lingler 1976-August 1982; Callensburg/Perrysville/West Freedom/West Monterey: Ralph Phillip Cotton August 1982-1986; Ronald Eugene Thomas 1986-1988; Callensburg/Perrysville/West Freedom: Glea Leann Bearfield Foster 1988-1996; Donald Wayne Kephart 1996-2000; Barry Lee Weyant 2000-2004; New Covenant Charge: Callensburg/Parker/Perrysville/West Freedom: Robert Patrick Hernam 2004--; Susan M. Hoover Associate 2004-2006; Kenneth E. Hughes Associate 2006--.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL – OHIO CONFERENCE 1817
Mailing Address: 115 Main Street, Rimersburg, PA 16248 814/473-6105
Location: Located at 115 Main Street and Cherry Run Road in the Borough of Rimersburg on Route 68 in Clarion County, PA.
History: Methodist Episcopal - Ohio Conference. The first known Class in this community dates back to 1817. Organized Methodism began when the Holland Land Company donated 30 acres of land, on which a log church was built, and named the Rose Methodist Episcopal Church. It was on the Mahoning Circuit in Ohio District of the Ohio Conference In 1820 it was in the Pittsburgh District of the Baltimore Conference. This was used until 1846. In 1840, Samuel M. Hosey donated the land. On this site the congregation began construction of a frame building, which was completed for services in 1846. The congregation of the Rose Methodist Episcopal then relocated to this new building, called the First Methodist Episcopal Church. This small frame building served until 1872, when it was sold and moved from the site. A larger frame building was constructed on the same site. This, with improvements and additions, such as brick exterior and a new sanctuary, is the building in 2003. This Church was on the Clarion Circuit prior to 1846. The Circuit was named Rimersburg for one year in 1846, then changed to Sligo Circuit until 1861. It has been designated the Rimersburg Charge since 1861 with Lawsonham and Sandy Hollow. Sandy Hollow was closed in 1966. The membership in 1968 was 290. The membership on January 1, 2003 was 314.
Pastors: Mahoning Circuit: Rose: Daniel D. Davidson and Ezra Booth 1817-1818; Calvin Ruter and John Steward 1818-1819; James McMahon 1819-1820; Mahoning Circuit: Mahoning/Hopewell/Kittanning/Rose/ Lawsonham/Rimersburg: Richard Armstrong 1820-1821; Dennis Goddard and Charles Elliott 1821-1822; Youngstown Circuit: Rose: William Tipton and Albert G. Richardson 1822-1823; Youngstown Circuit: Youngstown/Rimersburg: Samuel Adams and Sylvester Dunham 1823-1824; John Summerville and Alfred Brunson 1824-1825; Greenfield Circuit: Greenfield/Beallsville/Bald Hill/Carmichaeltown/Clover Hill/Fairall/Jefferson/Jolly Town/Kirby/Swarts/Waynesburg: First/Rimersburg: Richard Armstrong 1825-1826; Shippenville/Rimersburg: James Babcock 1826-1828; Nathaniel Calendar 1828-1829; Wilder B. Mack 1829-1830; Clarion/Rimersburg: Job Wilson 1830-1832; Abner Jackson 1832-1834; John Scott and Chester Morrison 1834-1835; Shippenville/Rimersburg/Tionesta Mission: Samuel W. Ingraham and Lewis Janney 1835-1836; Brookville/Fertigs/Rimersburg: John A. Hallock and James R. Locke 1836-1837; William Carroll 1837-1838; Shippenville/Fertigs/Rimersburg/Lawsonham: Lorenzo Whipple 1838-1839; Reuben Peck 1839-1840; Daniel Pritchard 1840-1841; Clarion/Rimersburg: Horatio N. Stearns 1841-1842; Horatio N. Stearns and John Graham 1842-1843; Jacob W. Clock and Samuel C. Churchill 1843-1844; John W. Hill and David Harper Jack 1844-1845; John W. Hill and John K. Hallock 1845-1846; Curllsville/Corsica/Cherry Run/Lawsonham/ Rimersburg/Sligo: Thomas Benn and Henry M. Chamberlain 1846-1847; Isaiah Hildebrand 1847-1848; George F. Reeser 1848-1849; George F. Reeser and John R. Lyons 1849-1850; Ahab Keeler and John Lyons 1850-1851; Ahab Keeler and John Whippo 1851-1852; Curllsville/Corsica/Rimersburg: John Crum and Samuel Hollen 1852-1853; Curllsville/Rimersburg: Richard A. Caruthers and David M. Stever 1853-1854; David M. Stever and John G. Thompson 1854-1855; John G. Thompson and George W. Moore 1855-1856; John Crum and James K. Mendenhall 1856-1857; Curllsville/Rimersburg/Cherry Run/Lawsonham/Sligo: Robert Beatty and Gabriel Dunmire 1857-1858; Curllsville/Lawsonham/Rimersburg/Shippenville/Sligo/Cherry Run: Robert Beatty and Samuel Coon 1858-1859; Benjamin Marstellar and Courson M. Heard and Samuel Coon 1859-1860; Curllsville/Rimersburg/Cherry Run/Monroe Chapel: Thomas Graham and A. D. Davis 1860-1861; Rimersburg/Lawsonham/Sandy Hollow: A. D. Davis and Thomas Graham 1861-1863; Jairus Jerome Bentley 1863-1865; Robert B. Boyd 1865-1868; Platt Wheeler Scofield 1868-1870; Rimersburg/Lawsonham: William A. Bowyer 1870-1871; William M. Taylor 1871-1873; John M. Zieli 1873-1875; Ezra -R. Knapp 1875-1876; Richard Peet 1876-1878; John C. MacDonald 1878-1881; Jacob Albert Hovis 1881-1884; Levi Beers 1884-1886; Clinton Jones 1886-1889; Lawsonham/Rimersburg: Abraham Bashline 1889-1893; Joel Smith 1893-1897; Rimersburg/Oak Ridge: Francis Marion Small 1897-1900; Rimersburg/Lawsonham/Sandy Hollow: Tate W. English 1900-1904; James Eugene Hillard 1904-1905; Hardman F. Miller 1905-1906; Rimersburg/Lawsonham: Charles J. Baker 1906-1908; John M. Crouch 1908-1910; Will H. Fenton 1910-1913; William V. McLean 1913-1922; Samuel Henry Barlett 1922-1925; Reuben Knight Rumbaugh 1925-1927; Arthur W. Deutsch 1927-1928; Edward Charles Hasenplug 1928-1929; Samuel Monroe Cousins 1929-1932; David 0. May 1932-1935; Wilson R. Ross 1935-1937; Milton I. Thomas 1937-1941; Elroy Mervin Sayers 1941-1946; John H. Templeton, Jr. 1946-1948; Rollin E. Ferry 1948-1949; Arvel Gaylord Neal 1949-1951; Elmer E. Nunemaker 1951-1953; George Brinton Nolder 1953-1958; Samuel Lewis Allaman, Jr. 1958-1963; Ralph H. Eckert 1963-1965; Seth Paul Bower 1965-1966; Sandy Hollow Church closed in 1966; Rimersburg/Lawsonham: Seth Paul Bower 1966-1969; Jonathan Duncan Schrecengost 1969-November 1, 1976; Ralph Boyd Kilburn November 1, 1976-1982; John Calvin Cox 1982-1987; Ray Alton Snair 1987-1991; James Martin Eaton 1991-2005; Brock ReNald Beveridge 2005--.
Sligo Boro [1877 Atlas]
Churchville [1877 Atlas]
News 1869; 1877-1893
Civil Conservation Camp1930’s]
UTILITIES & SERVICES