Sligo Hotel, 1907
Some sources have The Sligo hotel erected about 1875, a couple of years after Lyon & Schorb Co. built the building that later housed Hodil’s Store. Along the rear side of the hotel housed a saloon.
Early censuses indicate hotel keepers, though it is currently unknown if these were keepers of the Sligo Hotel, another hotel, or self-employed.
1870 Piney Twp. Martin Wagner, 41, keeping hotel
1877 Piney Village: J. Bates, keeping hotel in Piney Twp. Born in Germany.
1880 Front St., Sligo: Lucinda Whitmore, 47, keeping hotel. Ella Coulter, 29, cook in hotel.
1896: A Murder in Clarion County — A shooting affair occurred at Lawsonham, on the low grade division of the Allegheny Valley Ry., where the Sligo branch joins the main line, on last Saturday evening. According to the reports we have received, the reports are as follows: On last Saturday evening a crowd of men, including James B. Ramsey, it is stated, quarreled with William Mortimer. The men were put out of the hotel. They then went down to the bank of the creek, Ramsey being in the lead. It is said he met Bruce Ferguson, who was quietly passing along, and deliberately pulled his revolver and shot Ferguson, killing him instantly, the ball striking him in the temple. Ramsey was arrested by Constable Klingensmith, of Madison township, and brought to jail Sunday about noon. Ferguson was about 17 years of age, and it seems he was not connected with the fight. Ramsey is about 30 years of age, being married and has two children. We have been informed he is sorry for the crime and claims self defense. Source: Republican Gazette, Sept. 24, 1896.
1900 Sligo: Alexander & Sarah J. (Livermore) Stewart, keeping hotel; James Switzer (b Feb 1843 in Virginia) keeping hotel
At some point, during this timeframe, the Sligo Hotel was purchased by S.A. Bell (d 1909), who had formerly worked at the Jones House operated under Major and Mrs. A.H. Beck, and later by S.A. Bell (after Mrs. Beck died).
1910 Front St., Sligo: Richard H. Edmonson, 42, keeping hotel; John C. Ainsworth, 47, bartender in hotel
1918-1920 Front St, Sligo: John Mooney [Mohney], 59, keeping the Sligo Hotel; Annie B. Steen, 58/widowed, servant in hotel
Curllsville had three licensed hotels owned by Con Dwyer, Dan Hamm (Sheridan House).
At the heydey of Curllsville, there was no Sligo, it just being an iron furnace with homes for employees. Their mail was delivered by a special messenger sent by them to the Curllsville post office, a major stagecoach stop. Curllsville had three licensed hotels owned by Con Dwyer, Dan Hamm (Sheridan House). The Sheridan House served stagecoach passengers between Kittanning and Brookville. Locally referred to as "the Red Onion," the red brick hotel stood for a century as a monument to busier times in the sleepy village.
1870 William H. Hunter, 49, keeping hotel
During 1874, Jefferson Lee owned the Sheridan House in Curllsville, being managed by Al Dunkle. At the time, crime was becoming more prevalent, especially against those opposing the sale of whiskey in the area. Rev. Mateer had a cow killed and skinned and hung on his door. John E. Kaster, a vigorous opponent of whiskey sales, had prized horses blinded through poisoning and 40 of his orchard trees peeled. Houses were being stoned, wells poisoned, etc. Detective Jack Cribbs took the case to investigate the damages done to Kaster’s orchard, and in the end—Jefferson Lee was convicted, George Lester being his accomplice. Others siding with Lee in the scandal were Elias Dunkle, George Bittenbender, J.P. Pritner. Among those helping bring Lee justice were Amos Myers, John Grier, Mike Turney, Mrs. Dunkle, and Ann (a housemaid at the Sheridan Inn). Details of his investigation are chronicled in Adventures of Detective Jack Cribbs: Clarion County Detective— The Lee Case