Excerpt from Clarion County History by Peter Clover, 1877: Clarion Co, PA
"I will give you a description of one of our schoolhouses, which was built of round logs and about eight feet high and with five corners, one of which was part of the chimney. Up as high as the mantel board and from that to the square it had four corners and roofed with clapboards and logs laid crosswise to hold on the boards. The building was chincked-as they called it - between the logs and then daubed with clay or mud. The fireplace was a large backwall of stone and the chimney was built out of small poles and clay as high as was required. The floor was laid with hewed puncheon. The upper floor was laid with the same and covered with earth to keep out the cold. The seats were made of long slabs, round side down, and about high enough to prevent the children's feet from touching the floor.
The writing-desks were made by putting sticks in the wall with hooks on the ends and a board laid across. These were placed at an angle of about forty-five degrees. In place of windows, a piece of log was taken out and sticks put across, over which oiled paper was fastened in order to let in light. In such houses we received our education. Our teachers happened to be Scotch-Irish, very fortunate for us, as their accent was rather broad for the English language. Among the first teachers were: Gabriel Glenn, William Kelly, Job Johnson, Joseph Reid, John Ball. Schools were supported by subscription at the rate of six dollars per scholar per year, the teacher boarding around amongst the scholars.
For the benefit of YOUNG teachers I will give the mode of correction. The teacher invariably kept what was called toms, or more vulgarly, "cat-o-nine-tails" all luck being in odd numbers. The instrument of torture was made with an oak stick about twelve inches long to which was attached a piece of rawhide, cut in strips and twisted when wet, and then dried. This instrument was freely made use of for correction- and those thus corrected did not soon forget, some carrying the marks through life. Another-and no less cruel-was a green cow-hide, which I well remember, still carrying marks made by the same.
Comment upon the above is useless, as the words CRUELTY and BARBARITY will suggest themselves to the minds of all who read this.
For text-books we had Dilworth's and the United States speller and our readers were the good old Bible and Testament. The Western Calculator was all the arithmetic that was in use, and the one who got through the "rule of three" was called tolerably good in figures and the lucky wright who got through the book was considered a graduate in mathematics. Grammar and Geography were not taught in common schools, being considered higher branches."
The first school-house in Piney township was built of logs in 1837. It stood where the "eight-square" schoolhouse now stands. About the same time a school-house was erected in the Mast district. These rude log structures were replaced about two years later by better and more comfortable buildings.
Licking School stood on the outskirts of town where classes began in an early log structure.
Piney Twp area schools
Lonesome Stoney School
(a/k/a Turney School)
Route 68 Sligo/Curllsville
Original Sligo High
The average length of the term in the county, in 1844, was four months; the average salary of male teachers was $14.39, and of female teachers, $7.30. The number of schools was seventy-four. In 1850 the number of schools had increased to 119, but a decrease in length of term to three and one-half months was reported, while the teachers' salaries had risen to $16.90 and $8.26 for males and females respectively. In some districts teachers were paid in grain, and the miller was made collector, taking from the cereals brought to the mill by farmers, in addition to the customary toll, an amount equal in value to the tax levied for school purposes on the property of each citizen.
In his first report (1854) as county school superintendent, Mr. Robert W. Orr states that "in the greater part of the county, schools of one kind or other are enjoyed from four to eight months in the year." The statistical reports for several years show an average of only three months' public school. He also mentions as the greatest obstacle, in the way of carrying out efficiently the common school system, a want of qualified teachers. He reiterates this assertion in succeeding reports. In the superintendent's report for 1855 he mentions as obstacles, in the way of progress in the schools, lack of interest on the part of the people, and too low an appreciation of the value of education; want of uniformity of textbooks; wretched condition of school-houses; no school apparatus (some houses had not even a black-board); want of well-qualified teachers. "The most hopeful sign of all is that the idea is beginning to prevail .... that the common schools ought to be greatly improved, and that the qualifications of the teachers must be elevated."
During the 1859, Piney Township teachers were hired in six-month terms, the pay rate being about $30/month for advanced rooms.
The civil war bore heavily upon the people, and the schools suffered in consequence from short terms and low teachers' salaries. Hitherto a majority of the teachers were males, but many young men enlisted as soldiers, and for the first time in the history of our schools the female teachers outnumbered the males, and they have held a majority ever since.
In 1871, two schoolhouses were in Sligo. One later housed the Methodist Hall, the other was located on the Ben Miller farm.
1942 The County faced a critical teacher shortage, caused in part by a ban on hiring married teachers. Another problem was unavailability of school buses.
The original Sligo High School was a two-story building that stood near where the Methodist church now stands. It was demolished and replaced with the brick school in 1927 (photos above), located along Route 68 in Sligo. The Logue Auditorium was added about 1930. Much of the original brickwork in the basement of the building is stamped from Finzer Clay Co., Sugar Creek, Ohio. Finzer was later purchased by Belden Brick. The building now houses the Recreation Center, municipal offices and various shops and is still in use today for a wide range of community events. If you are a graduate of Sligo High, please check out the Sligo High Alumni website listed on the menu.
Early School Employees in Piney Township
Name, Residence, Position, Verified Yr of Employ & Notes.
Berrean, Anna E., Piney Twp. Teacher 1900. Sligo Borough in 1930. Single. Teacher.
Berrean, Phyllis M. - Sligo. Single. Teacher 1930.
Burns, Alice—Curllsville 1870
Burns, Stephen Duncan - Piney Twp. Teacher 1850. Married, age 35.
Burns, Thomas - Piney Twp. Teacher 1870.
Callen, Helen M. (Henry) - Sligo. Teacher 1930.
Coleman, Della - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Colwell, Bernice A. Sligo. Teacher 1920
Colwell, Maude - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Colwell, Ollie - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Coulter, Margaret - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Craig, Bert - Sligo. Teacher 1900
Craig, Herman Elliott - Sligo. Teacher 1930. Also served as school board member for the Union School district.
Craig, Lizzie - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Craig, Robert Nelson - Piney Teacher 1837-1840. Served as school director, examining applicants for schools in the area.
Eshbaugh, Nellie R. - Sligo. Teacher 1930. Wife of John.
Fleming, H.G. —1951 Social Studies & Coach. Sligo High.
Fockum, Lydia L. - Piney. Teacher 1880. Age 19.
Forsythe, William J. - Sligo. High School Teacher 1930.
Hahn, Agnes R. - Sligo. Teacher 1930
Hale, William - Piney. Teacher 1870.
Hall, William L. - Piney. Teacher 1870.
Hartman, miss — 1951 Sligo High. Commercial teacher.
Hartman, Dorothy Emma (Cornell) - wife of Harrison A. Hartman
Hartman, Harrison A. - Sligo. High School Teacher 1910-1939.
Hazlett, Elva M. - Sligo. Teacher 1900-1920. Never married. Taught school in Pittsburgh, PA., until her death in 1931.
Hepler, Martha—Cherry Run 1895-1897.
Hetrick, Mr. —Principal of Sligo High. 1951
Howard, Margaret C. - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Howard, Mary T. - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Johnston, Mabel E. - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Kester, Nancy — Mathematics teacher. Sligo High. 1951
Keys, Eleanor J. - Sligo. Teacher 1930. Single
Kirk, Prof. — Curllsville late 1800’s (probably Means school house)
Lerch, Eva M. - Sligo. Teacher 1920.
Lerch, Luella - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Lerch, Myra L. - Sligo. Teacher 1910.
Logue, Lepha Leola - Sligo. Teacher 1930+. Married George James Heeter in 1931.
Maclay, George Lashells—Teacher in Sligo.
Maclay, Samuel - Piney. Teacher & Student 1877
McCauley, John - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
McElravy, Marjorie — Sligo, Teacher 1940’s.
Mohney, Edward - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Morrison, Minerva S. - Sligo. Teacher 1910.
Moyer, Leola—Clarion. Teacher of Mast School during late 1940’s, early 1950’s.
Murray, Ruth M. - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Myers, C.E. —English & Library teacher at Sligo High 1951
Myers, Carrie Pearl - Piney. Teacher 1910. Later married Marvin Altman.
Myers, John - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Myers, Mary J. - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Neil, Anna L. (Lucas) - Sligo. Teacher 1920.
Neil, Maribel - Sligo. Music Teacher 1920
Newell, Eugenia C. - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Nulph, Benton—taught at one-room Mast School house in Piney Twp.
Orr, Robert W. - County Superintendent 1854-*
Over, Maude - Piney. Music Teacher 1910.
Radaker, Herbert—Sligo High
Rankin, Bertrella E. - Piney. Teacher 1920.
Rankin, Harry - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Reese, Ivan L. —taught Sligo High in 1920’s.
Richards, Anna L. - Piney. Teacher 1910
Rush, John M. - Sligo. Teacher 1900-1910
Rutherford, John W. - Sligo. Teacher 1910
Salyards, Gertrude - Sligo. Teacher 1900
Schuman, Joan O.—Sligo High Economics teacher 1951
Scott, W.A. —Sligo High Music & Latin teacher 1951
Siehl, Ruby D. (McKinney) - Piney. Teacher abt 1930-1955. Teacher at Stoney Lonesome School
Silvis, Anna - Sligo. Teacher 1900.
Skinner, Gladys I. - Sligo. Public School Teacher 1930.
Slaughenhaupt, Walter—Sligo grammar school teacher in 1939.
Smith, Bessie A. - Piney. Teacher 1910.
Stone, Miss (Sligo, 1929).
Summerville, Blanch D. - Piney. Teacher 1910.
Switzer, Beulah G. - Sligo. Teacher 1930.
Texter, George W. - Sligo. School Janitor. 1930.
Thorne, Georgia E. - Piney. Teacher 1930. Unmarried.
Wassum, Claude Roy - Piney. Teacher 1910.
West, Hugh S. — Sligo High Teacher abt 1926
Wiser, Kate - Piney. Teacher abt 1880-1890 at Turney (Stoney Lonesome) School.
Wilson, Blanda I. - Sligo. Teacher 1920.
Wilson, Myrtle V. - Sligo. Teacher 1930.
Schools that served the Piney Twp. residents
Blair School (Sligo) 41.006'N 79.432'W—Rt. 861 to Blair Rd.
Browns School (Monroe Twp) 41.034'N 79.439'W—located near intersection of Sled Rd. and Hollow Rd. abt 2 miles from Reidsburg toward New Bethlehem.
Cherry Run School (Sligo) - late 1890’s.
Five Points School (Sligo) 41.122'N 79.433'W—located at intersection of Kline Rd, Route 68, 5 Point Rd, and Borowick Rd.
Independence School (Sligo) 41.088'N 79.382'W—Rte 839 (S Reidsburg Rd) to Sheridan Rd.
Males school (Porter Twp) 41.071'N 79.414'W — located on Curllsville Rd.
Mast School (Piney Twp) - located on what is now Huckleberry Ridge, Sligo.
Means School (Curllsville)
Reigle School (Sligo) 41.056'N 79.470'W — located on Reigle School Rd. off of Rte. 68 between Curllsville/Rimersburg.
Scrub Ridge (Sligo) 41.068'N 79.439'W — located on Kelly Rd.
Turney School (Lonesome Stoney) (Piney Twp) - located across from County Poorhouse on Rt. 68, Sligo.
Watson School (Sligo) 41.079'N 79.498'W —Rte 68 to Huey Rd. to Carwick Rd.
Ivan L. Reese
Sligo High Teacher 1920’s
Photo courtesy of Clayton Harriger
Hugh West & Harrison Hartman
Teachers at Sligo school
Photo courtesy of Clayton Harriger
Above: Photos of the school and Logue Auditorium annex at the former Sligo High.
2009 Renovations to gymnasium (Logue Auditorium)
Sligo Boro [1877 Atlas]
Churchville [1877 Atlas]
News 1869; 1877-1893
Civil Conservation Camp1930’s]
UTILITIES & SERVICES