1872, for the care and education of orphans of deceased Odd Fellows.
This is the first orphans’ home that was ever established by Odd
Fellows, and as far as known, the first established by any fraternal
society. This is truly an ideal home, and from this beginning similar
homes have been instituted throughout the world, eight being located in
the State of Pennsylvania.
fire-proof building was dedicated October 16, 1926, by Grand Master John
N. Mark, who was a resident of the Old Home thirty-six years ago;
and therefore has a heartfelt interest in the Home and its young
The new structure
cost $211,058.73, and the furnishings will cost $40,000. We have one of
the best Homes in the state for convenience, the best equipped and
arranged. The new Home will accommodate 150 kiddies. The farm land of
the Home consists of thirty-six acres and is all under cultivation.
The children are
happy and healthy. They attend the public schools where they compare
favorably with other children in every respect. The work in the garden
is carried on by the boys A Home Band of thirty-two pieces was organized
and the boys are doing splendidly. Frequent outings and excursions are
given by the different lodges and are pleasing events to the children.
We have at present 96 children in the Home. Cost of maintenance is
raised by per capita tax.
The Lodges in
this jurisdiction find a great source of pleasure and interest in
keeping this Home up to the highest point of perfection in every
particular. The Home publication, the Pioneer, is becoming more
and more popular. It is edited by the Superintendent and Matron. It
reflects the Home life and has done much to create on the part of the
members an interest in the good work being accomplished. We are proud of
our Home, our children, our lodges and the good work done in the name of