In 1870 a meeting of Masonic brethren, members of
different lodges, was held in Middletown, and after an inter-
change of opinion, it was resolved to make application to the
Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania for a warrant for a new lodge.
The subjoined paper was prepared and signed as follows,
they thereby becoming Charter Members of Prince Edwin
Lodge # 486, Middletown, Dauphin Co., PA
|Last Name||First Name||Office||Date Born||Date Died||Lodge|
|Cobaugh||Ephram B.||WM 1878||.||.||21|
|Draucher||Hiram B.||WM 1877||.||.||286|
|Hake||Daniel J.||WM 1875||.||.||21|
|Kendig||Walter H.||Sec 1871||.||.||21|
|Lenhart||George H.||WM 1874||.||.||21|
|Nisley||Joseph H.||WM 1871||.||.||21|
|Peters||Simon C.||WM 1876||.||.||21|
|Young||Delanson J.||.||Sep 14 1846||Mar 31, 1872||21|
|Young||James||Treas 1871||July 25, 1820||May 4, 1895||21|
|Young||Redsecker I.||.||Jan 1 1844||May 3 1927||21|
|Zeigler||George M.||.||Abt 1847||Apr 2, 1931||21|
Those who signed made application to their respective lodges for certificates
of withdrawal, which were granted. They then made application to the Grand
Lodge of Pennsylvania, for a warrant of constitution, empowering them to meet
as a regular lodge at Middletown, to be called "Prince Edwin Lodge,"
recommending Brothers Joseph H. Nisley for the first W.M., Brother Seymour
Raymond for the first S.W., and Brother George H. Lenhart for the first J.W.
At the annual meeting of the Grand Lodge in Philadelphia December 27, A.D. 1870,
the application was approved and the R.W.G.M., Robert E. Lamberton, designated
Monday, March 27, A.D. 1871, as the time when the lodge should be constituted.
On the specified day Prince Edwin Lodge, No. 486, was solemnly consecrated
and constituted by Robert A. Lamberton, R.W.G.M.; Samuel C. Perkins,
R.W.D.G.M.; Alfred R. Potter, R.W.G.S.W.; Robert Clark, R.W.G.J.W.; John
Thompson, R.W.G.S., and a large number of other brethren, including noted
historian Dr. William Henry Egle, Past Master of Robert Burns Lodge No. 464
from 1870-1872, and Grand Steward (below).
You may have heard the expression "Moon Lodge" from time to time.
Over 100 years ago when the roads were not well lighted or clearly paved,
Prince Edwin met on the Full Moon, sometimes having two Stated
Meetings in one month when there were two full moons. On October 9,
1922 the Lodge met on the 2nd Monday of the month instead of on Full
Moon. January 11, 1937 the By-Laws were approved to change to the
3rd Monday of the month, when the brightness of a full moon was no
longer necessary to travel to and from a lodge meeting.
The following remarks were drawn from the first Minutes
book of Prince Edwin Lodge #486 about the Young Masons:
December 5th, 1881 Stated Meeting saw the petition of Simon
Cameron Young, and brother Redsecker I. Young demitted.
On October 13th, 1886 a Lodge of Sorrow met in the Masonic
Hall at No. 62 Ann Street in behalf of the death of Past Master
James S. Young, with a huge turnout of members and visitors
recorded. Thereafter they all met at the home of the parents
and "took the body in charge and conveyed it to the cemetery
and after interment returned to the Hall.
September 8, 1892 minutes record a letter to Grand Lodge
requesting permission to move the place of meeting from
62 Ann Street to the National Bank Building, at a cost
of $150 a year, three times their present rent. Pages
471 through 492 had been cut out of the bound Minutes
book, and there is no recorded reasons for the move.
September 4th, 1893 Stated Meeting recorded a Resolution
to meet in the new Lodge Hall in the National Bank Building,
corner of Union and Emaus Streets, Middletown.
October 2nd 1893 minutes record a motion of use Gas
Illumination in the new Lodge Hall (not electric!)
62 Ann Street address continued to be recorded in the
minutes book up through Nov. 6, 1893, just before moving.
November 16, 1893 first meeting in brand new Lodge Hall,
The National Bank Building, Union & Brown Streets.
After the death of James Young on May 4, 1895, the following was
entered into the minutes book of the May 6th, 1895 Stated Meeting:
....."On motion duly made and seconded, it was Resolved-----
That a committee of three be appointed to draft a resolution
on the death of Bro. James Young a member of this lodge."
In the minutes of the Stated Meeting on June 3rd, 1895 we find the
following report of the committee having performed the duties assigned:
Middletown May 11th, 1895
At a Meeting of Prince Edwin Lodge No. 486 F &AM, the following
Preamble and Resolutions were unanamously adopted:
Whereas, in view of the loss we have sustained by the decease of our
Brother and associate, James Young, and of the still heavier loss sustained
by those who were nearest and dearest to him, therefore be it Resolved --
That it is but a just tribute to the memory of the departed to say that
in his removal from our midst he is mourned by those who were near
and dear to him. Resolved --
That we sincerely condole with the family of the deceased on the
dispensation with which it has pleased Divine Providence to afflict them,
and commend them, for consolation, to Him who orders all things for
the best, and whose chastisements are meant in mercy. Resolved --
That this heartfelt testimonial of our sympathy and sorrow be
forwarded to the family of our departed, and entered upon the
minutes of our Lodge.
(signed) J. F. Fritz
(signed) Frank Z. Fisher
(signed) D. H. Barnhill
Attest D. H. Barnhill, Secretary
|Last Name||First Name||Year||Date Born||Date Died|
|Lenhart||George H.||WM 1874||.||.|
|Hake||Daniel J.||WM 1875||.||.|
|Peters||Simon C.||WM 1876||.||.|
|Draucher||Hiram B.||WM 1877||.||.|
|Cobaugh||Ephram B.||WM 1878||.||.|
|Raymond||Henry C.||WM 1879||.||.|
|Raymond||Josph F.||WM 1884||.||.|
|Sourbeer||Frank M. (Adm)||1892.||.||.|
|Whitman||Maurice G. (Adm)||1909||.||.|
|Crumling, Sr.||Robert T.||1941||.||.|
|Tolmie, Jr.||John G.||1947||.||.|
|Spahr, Sr.||LeRoy J.||1950||.||.|
|Wolf, Jr.||Lester C.||1969-70||.||.|
|Haberlen, Jr.||Robert Joseph||1973||.||.|
|Erb, Jr.||Christian Stehman||1975||.||.|
|Waple, Jr.||Frank Raymond||1992||.||.|