Old Chester Court House, Chester, Pennsylvania
History of Delaware County Chapter DAR
On October 19, 1894, just three years and eight days after the formation of the National Society, Delaware County Chapter was organized by Mrs. James Watts Mercur of Wallingford. Ms. Mercur who felt there was a need for a chapter in the county, called a number of ladies together. Some of these ladies had already been admitted to membership in Philadelphia and nearby chapters. They decided to ask for a charter which was issued dated October 22, 1894, making the chapter number 15 in the state of Pennsylvania and number 97 in the nation.
The group met at the home of Mrs. Mercur. The first officers were: regent, Mrs. Mercur; secretary, Mrs. Price Wetherill Janeway; treasurer, Miss Eliza S. Leiper (Mrs. Thomas Kane); registrar, Mrs. Louis K. Lodge. These officers, along with three other members, constituted the “Committee of Safety” which transacted the business of the chapter. A first and second regent, chaplain, corresponding secretary, and historian were later added to the list of officers. Others in the group were: Miss Natalie Remy Stacey, Miss Helene Denis, Miss Ellen Lott Denis, Miss Mary Lewis (Mrs. Charles S. Jack), Mrs. Charles Wilson (Mrs. Percy Wilcox), Mrs. George Lewis, Mrs. W. H. H. Robinson (Mrs. Herman Hilprecht). These women were the charter members of the chapter.
The membership continued to grow. Bylaws were adopted. Meetings were held twice a month, then every other month October through July at the home of Mrs. Mercur.
Papers were sent to Washington, D.C. The first to be returned marked “Examined and Accepted” were those for Mrs. Mary Crozer Page of Upland, Mrs. Sarah DuBois Mowry of Chester, and Miss Lucy Brooks Price (Mrs. L. H. Mutchler) of Media.
At an early meeting in 1895, Miss Leiper was instructed to obtain a private yacht for the use of the chapter on July Fourth to visit places along the Delaware River. Miss Leiper reported the yacht would cost fifty dollars for the day. It was resolved “it would be best not to engage it.” It was then voted to send five dollars toward the statue on the Women’s Building at the Atlanta Exposition.
Late in the 1890s a gala luncheon was held at the Acorn Club in Philadelphia to celebrate the growth of the chapter. Many pilgrimages – always an annual one – were made to historic places. These trips by carriage and stage, trolleys, and trains were made to Germantown, Norristown, Brandywine, Bartram’s Gardens, Valley Forge, and many other places. Often horses and carriages were bedecked with flags making a gala appearance. Papers were written on these trips.
Historical papers written and read by members constituted the entertainment at most meetings. Revolutionary War relics and curios were exhibited at many meetings. Occasionally, a speaker was asked to address the chapter on Colonial and Revolutionary subjects. The Spanish American War found the chapter ready to give assistance. A donation was made to the Club Room in Manila for American soldiers. A sewing committee was started which shipped, via New York, a large box containing an assortment of pajamas, bandages, and other needed articles for the sick and wounded soldiers at Santiago. Donations were given toward the statues of Lafayette and Washington erected in Paris.
World War I again found the chapter ready to help in all areas of the work that needed to be done. The chapter aided the Red Cross, Emergency Aid, and other organizations in their relief work. There was much to do and the chapter did it.
During World War II, while Mrs. Lloyd Goman was regent, the Blood Plasma project sponsored by the National Society was supported one hundred percent. A large benefit held at The Springhaven Club for this cause was a huge success. Contributions and thousands of hours were given by members through the Red Cross, Emergency Aid, Navy League, and other organizations. “Buddy Bags” were filed and sent to the men in the service with special gifts going to the men at Christmas time. When the State sponsored an L.C.I., Mrs. Goman urged the members to be responsible for the needs of the crew. A motion picture projector was purchased and sent for their use. Locally the chapter assisted in entertaining convalescent servicemen at the Swarthmore Naval Annex, the Philadelphia Naval Base Hospital, and Valley Forge Hospital. The chapter has always given great support to our service men and women.
Markers were later placed on many of the places visited by the chapter. Many historical places which might have been forgotten were marked with plaques. Among those marked were the Washington House and the Steamboat Hotel (both the Colonial period and since torn down). It is reported that Washington stayed at the Washington House several times when traveling from Mount Vernon to Philadelphia.
One of the historical places marked by the chapter was the “Old Colonial Court House” in Chester. The courthouse was started in 1724 and finished in 1725. The old stone building, located between Fourth and Fifth Streets on Avenue of the States, is said to be the oldest public building in continuous use in the United States. In a letter to the Chester City Council dated April 21, 1917, Senator William C. Sproul made a proposal to the council. He would, at his own expense, restore the “Old Court House” to its original lines. He would then turn it over to the City of Chester, which must pledge to maintain the building for public use forever. The restoration of the courthouse took about two years. The ceremony returning the building took place on December 4, 1920. Senator Sproul was then Governor Sproul. The keys were given to the city and after the governor’s address, agreements authorized in Ordinances, Resolutions, and Agreements of the City of Chester; Volume 6, 1920-1925, Number 54; 1920 were given to the Delaware County Chapter and the Delaware County Historical Society.
The chapter was granted use of the Petit Jury Room on the second floor. The room was to be furnished as nearly as possible to the early specifications. The chapter purchased six chairs similar to those listed in the original contract. They also found andirons, shovel, and tongs. For a time the courthouse served as the meeting place for the chapter.
The official address of the chapter was Media. During the regime of Mrs. Henry J. Weiland it was changed to the Old Colonial Court House in Chester. In 2013 the official address returned to Media.
While at the Old Colonial Court House, a cherry corner cupboard was bought and placed in the Petit Jury Room. A metal file was gotten. The papers of the chapter were placed there, and the charter from the National Society and the agreement with the City of Chester were hung on the walls. Mrs. John E. Michael presented the chapter with a Staffordshire coffee pot which had belonged in her family for many years. This was placed in the corner cupboard. Also in the cupboard was the silver plate sent from Chester, England to the Chester, Pennsylvania Rotary Club and the sterling silver candle sticks from the S.S. Chester.
As the years passed, little or nothing was done to keep the courthouse in good condition. Letters were sent to the mayor of Chester and the city council urging them to restore the building and to assume their responsibility in this project. The commonwealth finally came in and assumed the responsibility for the restoration of the building. The contents of the Petit Jury Room were moved in 1967 to the headquarters of the Delaware County Historical Society at Widener College.
During the administration of Mrs. Donald Spicer, President General from 1971-1974, the National Society gave a “Gift to the Nation” by furnishing the second floor at Independence Hall. At this time the andirons, shovel, tongs, and a fireback marked George III were given for use in the Governor’s Room. The Delaware Valley ladder-back chairs were given at the same time and can be found in the Amory Room there. This gift was valued at $7,300. A Windsor chair was placed in Congress Hall.
Those pieces of furniture not given at Independence Hall were loaned to Historic Delaware County, Inc. to be placed at “Avondale,” the home of the patriot Thomas Lieper, in Nether Providence. This included the cherry corner cupboard. From this furniture, the judge’s bench was placed on loan to the Delaware County Bar Association for use at the 1724 Colonial Court House. An antique pine stretcher table was placed on loan to the Minshall House in Media when Mrs. J. Dallas Rowley was regent. An American flag was given to the house at the same time.
A donation was made to the Museum at Valley Forge and a pew in Memorial Chapel was given in honor of John Morton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, who is buried in Old St. Paul’s Churchyard in Chester. Each Memorial Day, a wreath is placed on his grave by the regent. Working with the American Legion, the chapter raised funds to protect the burial place of John Morton when in the spring of 1947 it was threatened with removal.
In 2001, the chapter donated a silver spoon that had been presented to a DAR Page dated 1914 to the DAR Museum. Also that year, the chapter donated a map showing the Leiper land, a tea pot and two iron candle sticks to the Leiper House; a Spode plate and chapter plates were sent to Constitution Hall; and a donation in the amount of $1,050 was sent to the Kate Duncan Smith DAR School in memory of Miss Marguerite Flounders and Mrs. Sara Brunton. Chapter members have placed tablets on the graves of ancestors in Providence Meeting near Media; Big Spring Presbyterian Church, Newville, Pennsylvania; Chester Rural Cemetery; and Newark Union Cemetery, Wilmington, Delaware. The grave of Major William Anderson in Old St. Paul’s Churchyard was marked telling of his Revolutionary War service, as was the grave of Brigadier General Persifor Frazer in Middletown Presbyterian churchyard. The marker on the grave disappeared. A DAR grave marker honoring General Frazer and his wife, Mary Worrell Frazer, for their contributions to the American cause was dedicated on May 4, 1980. Mr. and Mrs. Charles D. Shaw III gave the grave marker and the commemorative headstone, which were placed in the side yard of the church. Mrs. Shaw is a Frazer descendant.
A marker on the Sproul Bridge commemorated the location of the first railroad in the United States. The railroad carried stone from the Leiper quarry to the ships waiting on the Delaware River to deliver the stone throughout the world.
A ship’s clock was given to the cruiser “Chester.” This was later transferred to the new cruiser “Chester” during the Second World War. Four memorial chairs were placed in Memorial Continental Hall – one in honor of John Morton.
The chapter has always been interested in conservation. The chapter contributed to the Penny Pines. When Mrs. Herschell Smith was regent, she presented two magnolia trees in memory of deceased members to the expansion of the Administration Building program. These were planted on either side of the D Street entrance to the new building. The chapter became a Gold Star Chapter of the Building Completion Fund.
Trees were planted in Crozer Park and the restored Morton Homestead. In the 1950s an evergreen planting was placed around the William Penn Monument in Chester and John Morton’s grave. A flowering apple tree was planted along the Great Edgmont Road in Gradyville to commemorate the laying-out of this important road. Trees have been planted in the DAR Memorial Grove in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia honoring deceased members. A tree was planted at Rose Tree State Park during the term of Mrs. Harold DeNenno.
Mrs. Richard Peters, a former regent, left a legacy in memory of her husband to provide an annual prize to Chester High School for the best historical essay. In 1945 Mr. J. Caldwell Hinkson presented a gift in memory of his sister, Mary E. Hinkson. The prize was to be given annually at Chester High School for excellence in American History. The chapter continues to give prizes for historical essays and excellence in American History.
The chapter’s bicentennial project was a commemorative plate of Delaware County. The proceeds from the sale of the plates were combined with the Student Loan and Scholarship Fund – the fund to be known as the American History Scholarship Fund. The interest from the account was to be used to honor a student for excellence in American History. Since its inception, this award has been given at the Delaware County Community College.
One of the most detailed pieces of work done by the chapter was the copying of Bible and marriage records and making maps and charts of graveyards and historic sites in Delaware County. This was done in conjunction with the W.P.A. and the Delaware County Historical Society. The chapter was publicly commended for this work. Copies were sent to the DAR Library and the Pennsylvania DAR State Library.
For many years, the chapter provided the DAR Manual for Citizenship to the Prothonotary Office in Media. These were given as a gift from the chapter and NSDAR. The chapter actively participates in the Naturalization Courts held quarterly at the courthouse in Media. These courts, begun in 1939 by Mervyn R. Turk and Horace W. Daft, are unique. The chapter joins with veterans’ organizations in a formal court, called by the direct order of the president judge and presided over by one of the county judges, to officially welcome the applicants and present them with certificates of citizenship. The regent leads the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America immediately after the certificates have been presented. The chapter started to give each new citizen a flag pin and welcome card when Mrs. Harry F. Jensen was regent. This custom continues today.
Mrs. Harry F. Bewley was regent when the chapter presented a citation to Mr. Daft for his work at the Naturalization Courts. Mr. Daft was not well and died the following summer. In an interview before his death, Mr. Daft spoke of his pride in the citation he had received from "his girls – the DAR." For over twenty years, Mrs. Arthur B. Griffith served as Naturalization chairman for the chapter. On April 22, 1963, the regent, Miss Flounders, presented a citation to Mrs. Griffith on behalf of the chapter commending her for her faithful service to the chapter and the Naturalization Court.
On September 28, 1994, the chapter presented the NSDAR Excellence in Community Service pin and certificate to Aloysius T. O’Donnell at the naturalization ceremony at the Media Courthouse. Mr. O’Donnell had been involved with the program since 1946 and was chairman of the committee since 1962. During that time over twelve thousand new citizens were received.
In 2014, the chapter was recognized at the ceremony by the presiding judge for 75 years of continuous participation in the Naturalization Court. Delaware County had no alphabetized list of those who had made their Declaration of Intent or who had petitioned for citizenship since 1795. At the time of a planned expansion of the courthouse in Media, the records were found by the late Mrs. John A. Petroskas. Mrs. Petroskas wrote to the Honorable Francis J. Catania, President Judge of the County Courts, asking for permission for the Chapter to abstract the records from 1860-1926. Judge Catania gave his permission. In March 1983 a committee consisting of Mrs. Petroskas, Mrs. Charles D. Shaw III, Mrs. J. Dallas Rowley, Marguerite Flounders, and the late Mrs. James C. Norris started to set up a card file for each category. They were joined at times by Mrs. George A. Hay and Mrs. Thomas Joyce. The project consisted of two parts: the naturalization books and petition files from 1860-1906 and the volumes for declarations and petitions from 1906 forward.
In March 1984, Mrs. Porterfield in the Prothonotary’s office asked if the committee had checked any of the Common Pleas Miscellaneous books. She said there were five books listed, A, B, C, D, and E. Mr. Allen found the books and work was started on them. This phase alone took three months. Found were 4,127 names, some of whom had no other record of citizenship. The 1795-1860 records were found in early 1985, and these files were also copied and are included in the copies that were given to the County, the DAR Library, the Pennsylvania DAR State Library, the Delaware County Historical Society, and the Genealogical Library in Philadelphia. From 1926 on, the Prothonotary’s office had a card file. In 2004, over 20 years after the start of the project, the three-volume record, Delaware County Pennsylvania Naturalization Index, Vol. 1795-1860, Vol. 1860-1906, Vol. 1906-1926 was sent to the DAR Library, presented in memory of Miss Marguerite Flounders.
A Junior Membership Committee was organized in September 1951 at the home of the regent, Mrs. Henry J. Weiland. Mrs. Clarence D. Bell was appointed chairman protem for the fifteen who attended. Within a year the group had grown to twenty-seven members. In 1952, the chapter and Juniors entered into an agreement with the Tyler Arboretum. The Junior Committee was granted “Lachford Hall,” the mansion house on the Arboretum estate for their use. The Juniors cleaned, made curtains, bedspreads and prepared the house for opening to the public. They acted as hostesses when the house was open during the summer months. They left when the Friends of the Arboretum said they wanted to take over. For many years the chapter held their October and May meetings at the Arboretum.
The Juniors raised money for a scholarship to Bacone College in Oklahoma and a half scholarship to St. Mary’s School for Indian Girls in South Dakota. They also raised funds for a scholarship at Lincoln Memorial University in Tennessee. The Junior Committee sent money to the Helen Pouch Scholarship Fund each year. Another project of the Juniors was the senior leadership of the John Morton Society C.A.R. The society was started in 1901 under the name of the Delaware County Society. This was during the term of Mrs. Richard Peters. It was reorganized in 1935 with 15 members. Mrs. Ellwood Turner enrolled her 18 grandchildren so the membership grew rapidly. It was then that the name John Morton Society was taken. In 1952, the society became the project of the Juniors. The society was again reorganized September 22, 1985. Mrs. Edward T. Clute was the organizing senior president. It was at this time the Robert Morris Chapter joined with the chapter as sponsors of the society. The membership has grown and has become active again on the state and national levels. Rebecca Page served as the Pennsylvania state president of C.A.R.
The chapter has for many years supported the DAR Schools and approved schools – the Health House at Tamassee, Berry College, to name a few. For many years Indian-head nickels were collected at each meeting and sent first to St. Mary’s School for Indian Girls until its closing and then to Bacone College. The chapter still has a collection at each meeting for American Indians. The chapter sponsored a “Becker Boy” in the 1930s. They also sponsored a girl at St. Mary’s School for Indian Girls and twin girls at Kate Duncan Smith DAR School.
For many years the chapter has sponsored students in the DAR Good Citizens contest of the National Society. Each year the winners and their parents are invited to attend the January meeting of the chapter where they are presented with their pins and certificates. The chapter sponsored the 1946 state winner.
In 1964, the chapter began to participate in the American History Essay Contest. Mrs. Alban Rogers was the chapter historian. She expected only a few essays. Instead 807 were received. She called the regent to say “we have a tiger by the tail.” The chapter continues to sponsor contestants today. Each February the winners in each grade are invited to read their essays to the chapter. In 1970 the chapter sponsored the state’s seventh grade winner. This happened again in 1983.
Young women have been sponsored for the Louise V. Nelson Nursing Scholarship. In 1970 Andrea Boyd, sponsored by the chapter, was the state winner of the NSDAR American History Scholarship. In 1983 the chapter sponsored the winner of the Pennsylvania State DAR contest for the Outstanding History Teacher. Mr. William Dodd, a teacher at Chester High School, was honored by the chapter. At the Pennsylvania Luncheon held in Washington, D.C. during Continental Congress, Mr. Dodd received the History Award Medal. At the same luncheon, Mrs. John Petroskas, state historian, was the first recipient of the NSDAR History Award from the Pennsylvania State Society.
The chapter presented the first ROTC Award May 10, 1970. Arranged by Mrs. Milton J. Fussell, chapter chairman of National Defense, the regent, Mrs. Wolf, presented the medal to Cadet Captain David H. Esto. Gold ROTC medals were also presented to the Penn State Extension in Middletown. They are now presented to Widener University in Chester. Bronze medals are presented to Sun Valley High School in Aston. The chapter has worked actively with the surrounding communities. They have supported the Girl and Boy Scout troops, the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and the Neighborhood House in Chester. A party was held to benefit the Chester Boys Club and Camp Sunshine. The chapter worked for the restoration of the Caleb Pusey House and with other organizations for the visit of Princess Christina of Sweden when she visited Chester June 12, 1965. The chapter supports Constitution Week with displays and proclamations by local mayors. They also attend the DAR-SAR Constitution Week luncheon held yearly. Memorial Day, Flag Day, and Independence Day are celebrated with appropriate ceremonies.
A thirty-five foot pole was placed at the 1724 Court House. Flags have been presented to “Avondale” and Newlin Mills. A large flag was given to Helen Kate Furness Library in Wallingford. Dr. and Mrs. John Michael presented a large silk flag to the Swarthmore Episcopal Church in Swarthmore in the name of the chapter while Mrs. Michael was regent. Together with Dr. Benjamin Rush and Lansdowne Chapters, a large American flag was presented to the Civic Association of Havertown for the use of the Chathem Village playground.
Over the years, the chapter has received Gold, Silver, and Honorable Mention in the NSDAR Honor Roll. When Mrs. Robert V. H. Duncan was President General, a special honor roll was established. Delaware County was one of four in Pennsylvania, one of one hundred twenty-six in the nation to receive this award.
The chapter has made contributions to the DAR Library, DAR archives, and DAR Museum. Volumes of Bible records have been sent. A book written by Janice Rodriguez about the Eichholtz family was given to the DAR Library. Also presented to the DAR Library was Prosperity and Progress: Concord Township, Pennsylvania, 1683-1983, Volume I, the Colonial Legacy, written by Robert P. Case, Ph.D. Mrs. Harold DeNenno helped research the book. The chapter presented the DAR Library with a two-volume set on the History of Concord Township, Pennsylvania. A second book, The Voter Family in America, written by Roger C. Voter and his cousin, Delmar V. Voter, was also given.
During the term of Mrs. John A. Petroskas, the signature of John Morton was added to the NSDAR Americana Collection. The signature was gift of a Morton descendant. A microfiche of the 1984 survey of sixty-six Pennsylvania Counties was given to the DAR Library in memory of Margaret Young Petroskas (Mrs. John A.).
In 1991, a quilt made by her great-grandmother in the 1850s was given by Marguerite Flounders to the NSDAR quilt collection. In 2014, regent, Susan Mescanti purchased from a salvage company the plaque that once hung on the Washington House in Chester. It had been presented by the DAR in the early 1900s to mark the importance of the building. The house was a stopping place for Washington as he traveled to Philadelphia and was the place where he wrote at midnight the only report of the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777. The building was demolished in 1952.
Since the 50th Anniversary luncheon, the chapter has celebrated its anniversary every five years. The 50th was held at the Barclay Hotel in Philadelphia, October 23, 1944. Mrs. Lloyd Goman was regent. Nearly one hundred guests were present. The special guests included Mrs. Julius Y. Talmage, the President General, and the State Regent, Mrs. Benjamin Williams. The 55th luncheon was held at the Rolling Green Golf Club. Over 100 members and guests were present. Mrs. Thomas Henry Lee, State Regent, was the speaker. Mrs. Henry J. Weiland was regent. The 60th Anniversary was celebrated at the November 1954 meeting of the chapter. Mrs. Harry H. Bates was regent. Mrs. Harry F. Bewley was regent when the 65th Anniversary was celebrated in November 1959 at the Rolling Green Golf Club. Over 100 members and guest were present to hear the State Regent, Mrs. Joseph Valler Wright, speak. The three daughters of Mrs. James Watts Mercur – Mrs. John S. Albert, Mrs. Thomas Cahill, and Mrs. O. N. Saitte – were at the luncheon. At that time they gave their mother’s pin to the chapter. Mrs. Bewley had the pin put in a shadow box which was placed in the courthouse.
The 70th Anniversary Luncheon was held at the Colony Hotel, Chester (1964). Mrs. Charlotte Sayers, State Regent was the honored guest. Mr. Hamilton Cochran spoke on the subject of the Delaware River during the Revolutionary War. Marguerite L. Flounders was the regent. The new DAR chapter flag was displayed for the first time.
The Annual Guest Day Luncheon held in February 1967 honored the Diamond Jubilee of the Pennsylvania State Society. Mrs. George J. Walz, State Regent, was the speaker. At the luncheon, an Award of Merit was presented to the Honorable Henry J. Sweney for “his considerable and outstanding contributions toward safeguarding American ideals as a jurist, citizen, and soldier.” Mrs. Herman R. Woodall was regent. Mrs. Leroy T. Wolf was regent at the time of the Annual Guest Day Luncheon held February 17, 1969. Mrs. F. A. Ziesmer, State Regent, was the honored guest. Certificates of Merit were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Hamilton and the family of Edward Donaghy on the deaths of their sons in Vietnam.
The 75th Anniversary Luncheon was celebrated with a dinner at the Aronimink Golf Club. It was a smashing success with many distinguished guest from DAR and SAR. The Valley Forge Academy Glee Club sang. Mrs. Curtis Dall was the speaker. As a surprise for Mrs. Wolf and the chapter, members of the committee took the wheel from the insignia given the chapter belonging to Mrs. Mercur and had diamond placed in the center. This, together it the regent’s bar given by Florence Wetherill Wilson, was placed on a ribbon and is worn by each regent of Delaware County Chapter during her term of office. It is the property of the chapter. The chapter gives each outgoing regent her past-regent’s pin.
The Springhaven Club was the scene of the 80th Anniversary party. Mrs. Coray H. Miller, State Regent, was the honored guest and speaker. The NSDAR Medal of Honor was presented to Lt. Ralph Galatti, a returned Vietnam veteran P.O.W. Mrs. Milton J. Fussell was given a Service for Veteran Patients pin and commendation for her many hours of service to the committee. Mrs. John Petroskas was regent.
The 85th Anniversary Luncheon, while Mrs. J. Dallas Rowley was regent, was again held at The Springhaven Club. Mrs. James M. Anderson, Jr., State Regent was the speaker. Six chapter members were honored with DAR fifty year membership certificates. Mrs. George Hay was regent when the 90th Anniversary luncheon was held at The Springhaven Club on October 23, 1984. Mrs. Edgar V. Weir, State Regent, was the honored guest. Mrs. Frederick N. Brass, state chairman on National Defense, was the speaker.
Mrs. Thomas G. Burkey, State Regent, was the honored guest and speaker at the 95th Anniversary Luncheon held at The Springhaven Club. Mrs. Harold DeNenno was the regent. Mrs. James Fooskas was serving as regent when the 100th Anniversary Luncheon was held at The Springhaven Club on November 1, 1994. Mrs. Rodger Wrenn Carroll, Curator General NSDAR, was the speaker. Among the honored guests were Mrs. Thomas G. Burkey, Registrar General NSDAR, Mrs. Richard Schilling, Pennsylvania State Regent-Elect, and regents of local chapters, members, and guests. The guest speaker was Mrs. Raymond Franklin Fleck for the 105th Anniversary held October 19, 1999.
Dr. Robert Plowman was the guest speaker for the 110th Anniversary Luncheon at The Springhaven Club on October 19, 2004. Mrs. G. Richard Worrell was regent. The 115th anniversary was celebrated on October 19, 2009, at the Edgmont Country Club. This was the second time Jane Rowley was regent for an anniversary luncheon, serving the chapter for both the 85th and the 115th. Dr. Gary Grove spoke on DNA and Abraham Lincoln.
Susan Mescanti was Regent when the 120th Anniversary Luncheon held at the Concord Country Club. The guest speaker was Major Robert A. Pace, USAF (retired) Vietnam veteran, honoring the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam Conflict. Southeastern district director, Christyn Olmstead, brought greetings from the State Regent, Bobbi McMullen.
Six hundred thirty-one women have joined the chapter during its 120 years; women of many diverse interests and talents which they have used for the betterment and progress of the chapter. Many members have served as state chairmen and state vice-chairmen. Four members have served as state officers – Mrs. Lloyd Goman as historian; Mrs. Harry F. Jensen, Jr. as corresponding secretary; Mrs. John A. Petroskas as historian; and Miss Marguerite Flounders as recording secretary, vice regent and State Regent. Miss Flounders also served as Reporter General of the National Society. Some have served as national vice-chairmen and two as national chairmen – Mrs. Harry F. Jenson, Jr. as national chairman of pages and Miss Marguerite Flounders as national chairman of the DAR School Committee.
One cannot tell of all the work done by the chapter during its 120 years. Thirty-four women have given their time and talents to serve as regent of the Chapter. Mrs. Mercur, Mrs. George Booth Harvey, Miss Marguerite Flounders, and Mrs. Stephan Mescanti served twice - Mrs. J. Dallas Rowley served three terms. Each brought her own interests and strengths to the chapter. It is a distinct honor to serve as regent of the Delaware County Chapter but no regent is successful unless she is given strong support and loyalty by the chapter members. To quote Mrs. Leroy T. Wolf, “The most important thing was the wonderful support and assistance given – particularly by the past regents. Frankly, it is one of the most important experiences anyone could imagine. And that cooperation and guidance is what makes us one of the best DAR chapters.”
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.