Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie - Evangelical Church Related
Contributed by Janine McCoy
The information and images below have been gathered, transcribed and submitted by Janine McCoy. The first section is a program from a play performed by The Young People's League of Christ Evangelical Church. Janine's mother, Doris Kessler, was in this play. The date of the play is not known and could have been anywhere between the late 1920s and early 1940s. The second section is a clipping from Cliff Taylor's "Old Erie". Janine has reported that her grandmother, Elizabeth Kessler, attended there. It is not known exactly when this church was torn down. Any comments or questions concerning this material may be directed to Janine McCoy.
ALWAYS IN TROUBLE
as played by
Christ Evangelical Young Peoples League-
It starts with a laugh
And ends with a roar;
And when its all over
Youll want some more.
So dont be grumpy
And dont be glum,
And wish by heck
You hadnt come.
Well do our best
To give a good show,
But we need some help
From you, you know.
So laugh out loud
Applaud and grin,
And a Hoodooed Coon
Is bound to win.
Music is furnished
through the courtesy of
Violins: Harriet Moessner Dorothy Roschl
Clarinet: Harold Hamilton
Saxaphone: Walter J. Eccles
Xylaphone and Traps: John Pioper
Piano: Rhea Eccles
NOTICE: The members of the cast ALWAYS IN TROUBLE will cheerfully refund the price of admission and recommend a good doctor to any one in the audience who can sit through the performance of this show without laughing.
The cast wishes to thank publicly any one and every one who has helped to make this show a success.
Candy will be sold between the acts.
ALWAYS IN TROUBLE
Misery Moon A hoodooed coon
Carl J. Loos
Gideon Blair .. ..A millionaire
Tom Rissle ...As slick as a whistle
Wesley A. Spangenberg
Hirem Tutt ..An awful nut
Patrick Keller .A ticket seller
Samantha Slade .A poor old maid
Rosebud Reese . Her charming niece
Paula Maleek ..A bolsheviek
Lulu Pearl A lunchroom girl
PLACE: A Railroad Station in Slabtown, Missoury.
Act I The railroad station. A grouchy millionaire. A wedding.
Act II The next day. Paula on the trail. The bomb explodes.
Act III An hour later. Shh! Not so loud.
A. J. WEST LETTER SERVICE
St. Luke's Evangelical Church was at 120 W. 9th but has lost to progress. It was the oldest church structure in Erie having been built by the Universalist Society of Erie in 1844. The Universalists were generally Connecticut people who settled along the lake in the early days. This triangle had been claimed by Connecticut along with Western Reserve in Ohio. The building was purchased by the St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran congregation in 1897. It was torn down during the redevelopment of that block. Only a few buildings in the city were older.
This page was last updated on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie
© 2014 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy