Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie -
St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
Altar Boy's Society
Contributed by Rick Landers
The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Nancy Schlobohm.
St. Paul’s Altar Boy’s Society
St. Paul’s Altar Boy’s Society was reorganized December 1931. At the time only eight boys were present. This society was reorganized under the direction of Rev. L. A. Marino, Pastor, and Mr. Frank Marra, Director. The society installed its officers on Christmas Eve in 1931 with a dinner party. At this time the rules and by-laws were explained. Ten laws were set down for the society. They have been carried out fully to the present time. The organization increased its membership to 20 boys in January 1932, and it was immediately decided that the society go on record to contribute $2.00 a month to the monthly collection and have been doing so to this past July. The events that took place were the instructions given on the spiritual and moral sides.
Committees were selected for a drive of members. During Christmas week of 1932, the organization grew to 78 members.
The society’s first anniversary was celebrated with a dinner in the basement of the new church with 22 honored guests present. Talks were given on the betterment of the society.
In 1933 the society went ahead with better activities, such as having a speaker at each meeting on Sunday afternoons. The very first speaker was Dr. S. L. Scibetta. He talked to the boys about the good work that they have done in the years that they were reorganized and he also talked on religious and spiritual lines of instructions. In this same year their second anniversary was held with a dinner at the Rex Restaurant. Father Marino spoke to the boys on their good work. Members from the Usher’s Society and the Young Ladies’ Sodality were present.
In 1933 their second annual picnic was held at Eaglehurst Park on Labor Day, September 6. the guest of honor for the day was Rev. E. P. McManaman.
In the spring of 1934, the society went on record to put on a musical comedy to raise funds to secure new uniforms. The following meeting the boys decided to buy a pew for the new church through their monthly dues.
The following officers were elected December 31, 1934:
President — Angelo Juliano,
Vice President — John Mannereli,
Secretary — James De Santis,
Treasurer — Louis Juliano
The present members are as follows: (as in the picture)
First row—Standing from left to right:
Nando Necci, Sam Firenzo, Donald Bevilacqua, Michael Pascale, Joseph Mancuso, Ernest De Santis, Mr. Frank Marra, Director of the Society, Nello Firenzo, Edward Placidi, Louis Guagliardi, Nick Capozziello, Elmer Yacobozzi, James De Santis.
Middle row—Standing from left to right:
Fred De Filipo, Vincent Provenzano, Frank Occhipinti, Alphonso Mannerelli, Joseph Montuano, Vincent Salvia, Bob Phillips, Guido Trancone, Charles Guagliardi.
Back row—Standing from left to right:
Rev. E. P.McManaman, Louis Pascale, Joseph Spangnolo, Louis Juliano, Fred Viglione, Joseph Angellotti, Ernest Spirito, Angela Juniano, John Mannarelli, and Rev. L. A. Marino.
This page was last updated on Monday, February 9, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie
© 2004 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy