Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie -
St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
Contributed by Rick Landers
The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Nancy Schlobohm.
When the Boy Scout movement was launched by Bishop Gannon last year, the boys of St. Paul’s parish were among the very first to enroll and to receive a charter. The oath was administered to the first contingent amid impressive settings and well directed ritual in October of last year. At the function were many notables in the Boy Scout movement throughout the city. Mr. John L. Taylor, Scout Executive and Father Walter J. Conway, director of the work in the Diocese, were largely responsible for the success of the undertaking. Great praise is due Mr. Bruno Cavallini and the Troop Committee for the detail work of instruction of the boys and the movement is not merely a local church development, our Boy Scouts are affiliated with the great national organization which stretches from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans and into many foreign countries. They are Boy Scouts in the real and genuine sense of the word—and what is more, the high ideals of scouting are already apparent in the lives of the boys of the parish.
The Boy Scout Troop committee includes:
Dr. Michael J. Pistorio -- Chairman,
Rev. Edward P. McManaman -- Chaplain,
Atty. Joseph Di Santis -- Supervisor of Boy Activities,
Mr. Adolph Agresti -- Secretary,
Mr. Nello Del Porto — Quartermaster,
Mr. B. J. Cavallini — Scoutmaster.
The names of the boys are listed as follows:
Frank Amicucci, Alphonso Mannarelli,
Joseph Angeliotti John Mannarelli,
Thomas De Marco, Victor Savelli,
James Di Santis, Leo Vitelli,
Mario Filigenzi, Michael Yocabozzi,
Herman Issue, Pasquale Yocabozzi
Excuse the poor quality photo. Please click on the image for a much large picture with more detail. Use the browser 'Back' button to return to this page.
This page was last updated on Monday, February 9, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie
© 2004 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy