Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie -
St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
The Knights of Saint Paul
Contributed by Rick Landers
The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Carolyn Wells.
A society of young men organized January 15, 1934. To date it has a membership of one hundred twenty-eight persons and has been affiliated with the Prima Primaria Sodality of Rome, and thus shares in the vast privileges, spiritual and temporal, of the parent body. The group is under the jurisdiction of the pastor, Father Marino, and is directed by Father McManaman.
The primary object of the society is the fostering of moral and religious principles in the lives of the Knights. The social activities program has been dormant for the past several months, but this has been compensated in the splendid response given to the annual Communion Breakfast, at which the fathers of the members, and a cross section of the male elements of the Colony, give eloquent expression of their living, Catholic faith. The breakfast, preceded by the reception of Holy Communion, draws upwards of five hundred persons annually. Last year, one of the principal speakers, Mr. John Cappabianca, Royal Italian Consul, in an eloquent address to the men assembled, aroused their obligation to assist in furthering the work of religion in the Colony and as a climax to his speech, urged that the Italian Day Fete be devoted to the financial interests of St. Paul's Church. This address was perhaps one of the most important ones given last year because of its material and moral effect upon the opening of the new church building.
Other projects sponsored by the society have been Study Clubs and the monthly news organ, "Il Corriere Mensile", which gives a digest of the current activities in the Italian Colony with much reading of a religious and general cultural nature.
The present officers are:
President - Attorney Joseph De Santis,
Vice President - Mr. Adolph Agresti,
Treasurer - Mr. James Fucci,
General Secretary - Mr. Chester Vendetti,
Recording Secretary - Mr. Frank Marra.
The present members are as follows:
Bruno, Patsy, Jr.
Caruso, A. C.
Cianco, A. M.
Dal Porto, Lawrence
DeLaura, Louis [sic]
Del Porto, Nello
Del Porto, George
De Santis, Joe A.
De Santis, Syl
Ferraro, Joseph, Sr.
Fucci, James J.
Fiorelli, Joseph R.
Gambatese, A. L.
This page was last updated on Monday, February 2, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie
© 2014 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy