Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie -
St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
Societa Nazionale di Montenaro
Contributed by Rick Landers
The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Kathie Stravato.
SOCIETA NAZIONALE di MONTENARO
This Society is of recent origin. It dates back to a day in April of last year (1934), when two energetic sisters, Mrs. Rachel CUCCHIONE and Miss Sue PHILLIPS, conceived the idea of banding together the married women whose families derived from the beautiful Val Cocchiaro, in the Montenaro country, in southern Italy. The motives in the promotion of the idea were twofold: that of church assistance and of mutual aid to the members, i.e., in furthering the religious, social and economic condition of the membership. After interviewing a number of prospective candidates, the first organization plans were launched at a meeting held on May 3, 1934, from which an intelligent and compact group of ambitious women was formed with a definite constitution.
The men of the parish from the Montenaro country had already been organized for some years and this group aided the women’s venture in many ways until it was able to function for itself. A reason for the healthy growth of the Society is attributed to the fine leadership of the first president elected, Mrs. Domenica Yacobozzi, a woman of vast experience in social work, whose enthusiasm and boundless energy were immediately contagious.
At the present writing this Society has behind it a fine record of cooperation in parish work. Innumerable social events, assistance at bazaars, Italian Day, etc., helped greatly in the realization of the dream of the Italian Colony, the opening of the new church building.
The present officers are:
President - Mrs. Domenica YACOBUZZI
Vice President - Mrs. Rachel CACCHIONE
Corresponding Secretary - Mrs. Ligia YACOBOZZI
Financial Secretary - Miss Sue PHILLIPS
Treasurer - Mrs. Giovanna NARDUCCI
Assistant Corresponding Secretary - Mrs. Tilba MONTEVECCHIO
Assistant Financial Secretary - Mrs. Florence PALLOTTO
General Controller - Mrs. Maria PALERMO
Controller - Mrs. Adella MIRALDI
Controller - Mrs. Julivia DiNICOLA
The present members are as follows:
Juliva (sic) DiNOCOLA
This page was last updated on Sunday, February 1, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie