Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie -
St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
Contributed by Rick Landers
The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Kathie Stravato.
Is a club or “circle” of Italians with Roman background. It was organized in February of 1933 shortly after the time that Pope Pius XI urged the development of such groups throughout the Christian world. Two gentlemen, Louis Agostino and Joseph Pezzata, having outlined the idea of such a society to several of their compatriots and having received much enthusiastic response to the project, called a meeting, formed with the help of the charter members, a constitution and elected officers. A feature of this group is that it is dedicated to the furthering of its religious life and to a better knowledge of the things of God. It is, of course, carrying a social program throughout the year and is very much alive to the influence of the Catholic Church in the Italian Colony. It is from this group and others like it that the idea is prevalent that the church alone can cement and unite the Italian people to the general advantage of all. For the moral and financial help given to S. Paul’s in the past and present by this club, the entire Colony is grateful.
The present officers are:
President - Peter SPELTA
Vice President - Louis MALIZIA
Secretary - Constantino MANTOAN
Treasurer - Mariano AGOSTINI
The present members are as follows:
Evaristi LEO (sic)
This page was last updated on Saturday, January 31, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie