Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie -
St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
The Senior Choir
Contributed by Rick Landers
The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Carla McElroy.
Souvenir Dedication Program
The Senior Choir
As far as history can accurately determine, the Senior Choir was organized in St. Paulís Parish in 1908, under the direction of Mr. Zwilling, the first organist.† Through the efforts of Father Marino at this time, the Carnegie Foundation Fund contributed the major cost of the organ then installed and now renovated by the Tellers Organ Company for service in the new church building.
Following Mr. Zwillingís
direction of the choir for several years, Miss Alice Sloan took up the work of
director and organist and she was succeeded by Miss McLaughlin and
Miss Jewel Dudenhoeffer.
Miss Mary Calabrese came to direct the choir, but left after a short period, to
continue her musical education in New York City.† She was followed by Miss Frieda Kaiser, who
worked as organist and choir director the three years until her marriage and
subsequent departure for Buffalo
Miss Kaiser was succeeded by Mr. Sam Janiere, who acted as organist and director for a period of nine years, until the reorganization in August, 1934, at which time Miss Kaiser returned as Mrs. Frieda Kaiser Miller, in the capacity of organist and choir director.† The latterís experience and musical training in Buffalo have fitted her admirably for her present position which is reflected in the revived interest and enthusiasm of the enlarged membership enrollment.† Organ rendition and choral technique under the present directorate have brought unstinted praise from a discriminating congregation and innumerable visitors to St. Paulís.† The parish is fortunate to have its present amiable, cultured and highly trained director and organist.† It is likewise grateful and is proud of the refined, self-sacrificing and talented singers, whose ability would grace any program wherein public worship permits vocal music.
The present members are as follows:
Celia Yanitello†††† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Dominiic Di Francisco
Katherine Angellotti††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Michael Issue
Margaret De Santis†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Paul De Santis
Ida Bevilacqua††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Louis Benacci
Angeline De Laura††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† George Di Fazio
Helen Di Francisco†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Michael Tino
Josephine Di Francisco†††††††††††††††††††††††† Basses:
Elizabeth Di Bacco†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Thomas Augustine
Mary Di Francisco††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Joseph Belotti
Clara Ferritta††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Ted Chimenti
Margaret McLaughlin†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Phillip Selvage
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Tony Sevillo
Altos:†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Frank Marra
Mary Di Tullio††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Jesse Jiuliante
Antoinette Vendetti†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† William Juiliante
This page was last updated on Friday, February 6, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie
© 2014 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy