Erie County (PA) Genealogy

City of Erie - St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
The Tabernacle Society

Contributed by Rick Landers


The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Rachel Ristau.


Souvenir Dedication Program

The Tabernacle Society

††††††††††††††† Outstanding in the parochial life of St. Paulís is this well organized and enthusiastic group.Its great concern is the care for the house wherein dwells the King of Kings, our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.When this society is social it is only to realize funds that might be used to beautify the altar in some respect or to enlist the membership in some religious devotion i.e., at Novenas, Missions or at General Communion.The women of this society also act as unofficial advisors to the pastor, at whose instance it organized five years ago.The Pastor, Father Marino, has been the Chaplain of the organization since its founding.When the revival of interest took place eighteen months ago, having as its object the opening of the new church building, this Society was one of thevery first to pledge its aid and whole-hearted support.And that pledge has been realized in more ways than space here permits an outline.

††††††††††† The Tabernacle Society was organized by Mrs. P. Anthony on the 17th day of January, 1930.The purpose of the organization is: first, promote Catholicity; second to take care of the altars, such as the laundering and purchasing of linens, and the supplying candles, flowers and decorations.

††††††††††† Past activities are as follows: A series of card parties and a musical comedy, the proceeds of which were turned in to the building fund of the new church.

††††††††††† The former presidents were: Mrs. P. Anthony, Mrs. M. Massucci, Mrs. A. Bevilacqua and Mrs. J. Yapello.

††††††††††† The membership has increased from thirty-four chartered members to the present membership of one hundred members in good standing.

††††††††††† The present officers are:

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† President - Mrs. J. Schilling

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Vice President - Miss Rose De Gello

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Secretary - Mrs. Lucy Masse

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Treasurer - Mrs. A. Bevilacqua.

The presents members are as follows:

Alessi, Mrs. J.

Auditori, Mrs. A.

Auditori, Mrs. L.

Anthony, Mrs. F.

Anthony, Mrs. P.

Anthony, Mrs. T.

Angelotti, Mrs. C.

Augustine, Mrs. L.

Battaglia, Mrs. J.

Bevilacqua, Mrs. A.

Bevilacqua, Mrs. O.

Buto, Mrs. J.

Calabrese, Mrs. M.

Chaffee, Mrs. F.

Catapano, Mrs. A.

Corso, Mrs. S.

Carina, Mrs. S.

Chimenti, Mrs. A.

Cerami, Mrs. P.

Cerami, Mrs. R.

Di Corpo. Mrs. A.

De Carlis, Mrs. G.

De Sante, Mrs. A.

De Santis, Mrs. J.

Di Francesco, Mrs. R.

De Santis,Mrs. S.

Di Gello, Miss R.

Di Nunzio. Mrs. A.

De Michael, Mrs. J.

De Santis, Mrs. J.

De Lauro, Mrs. A.

De Santis, Mrs. V.

Di Placido, Miss A.

De Dad, Mrs. A.

Fatica, Mrs. A.

Fabrizio, Mrs. H.

Fernandes, Mrs. J.

Ferritta, Mrs. A.

Farina, Mrs. J.

Gianantonio, Mrs. J.

Grignol, Mrs. A.

Grignol, Mrs. R.

Golino, Mrs. M.

Gambatese, Mrs. M.

Jordano, Mrs. T.

Leone, Mrs. J.

Little Miss A.

Little Mrs. J.

Latona, Miss L.

Marnella, Miss L.

Martucci, Miss C.

Masse, Mrs. L.

Massucci, Mrs. M.

Mazzeo, Mrs. A.

Mazzeo, Mrs. J.

Mantuano, Mrs. C.

Monacello, Mrs. D.

Nicoletta, Mrs. P.

Narducci, Mrs. B.

Necci, Mrs. L.

Orlando, Mrs. A.

Pace, Mrs. M.

Petrini, Mrs. B.

Phillips, Mrs. A.

Phillips, Mrs. J.

Pontoriero, Mrs. J.

Pistory, Mrs. S.

Pistory, Mrs. J.

Presogna, Mrs. L.

Phale, Mrs. E.

Rossi, Mrs. A.

ossi, Mrs. C.

Schilling, Mrs. M.

Sansone, Mrs. J.

St. George, Mrs. F.

Santangelo, Mrs. T.

Squiglia, Mrs. A.

Sperduto, Mrs. T.

Strand, Mrs. R.

Surace, Mrs. T.

Torella, Miss C.

Tonty, Mrs. D.

Tornetta, Miss E.

Vetter, Mrs. M.

Vetrone, Mrs. F.

Yapello, Mrs. J.

Yacabozzi, Mrs. R.

 

Tabernacle Society


This page was last updated on  Monday, February 2, 2004 .

Return to Erie County Genealogy

Return to Erie County Church Index

Return to City of Erie

© 2014 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy