Erie County (PA) Genealogy
City of Erie -
St Paul's Roman Catholic Church
Contributed by Rick Landers
The information below has been extracted from the Souvenir Dedication Program, March 17, 1935, for Saint Paul's Roman Catholic Church. The church, located in the City of Erie on Walnut Street between 16th and 17th, had its beginning in May 1891. Ground was broken for a new House of Worship on August 19, 1928, but the economic recession at the end of the 1920s resulted in a partially completed building. With renewed funding efforts about 1933, the building was completed. Images of the pages in the dedication program have been scanned and provided by Rick Landers. Various individuals have assisted in transcribing the documents for presentation here. This particular page has been transcribed by Genie Flahie.
Souvenir Dedication Program
History of Saint Paulís Parish
††††††††††† When Father Marino assumed charge of
††††††††††† Father Marino, assisted by
Father V. Marinaro, of
††††††††††† The building to be erected was designed by Mr. G. Wesley Stickle, Architect, in Romanesque pattern with traces of late Umbrian delineation in the interior.† Due to restricted finances the stone for the outer shell or walls of the structure was obtained from the discarded curbing in the city streets which were then in a process of modern improvement.† Italian workmen were hired to put their skill and art to the task of refashioning the huge blocks of stone and to shape them into the growing edifice.† The result stands today as a challenge to human ingenuity and resourcefulness as St. Paulís awaits its dedication to the great Apostle of the Gentiles who walked the streets of so many cities of the world preaching the story of Christ crucified and expanding the Church founded by his Divine Master.
††††††††††† The work on the new building
progressed until on
††††††††††† At the beginning of the economic recession in 1929, work ceased on the building as the last tile was fitted into the roof of the church.† For the next five years, want running rampant where before there was plenty, the new building remained uncompleted for lack of funds.
††††††††††† In the fall of 1933, Rev. Dr. Edward
P. McManaman, Assistant Superintendent of Parochial Schools in the Diocese of
Erie, became interested in the project.†
He organized the great army of youth in the parish into Sodalities,
clubs and social and catechetical societies.†
The response from the people was immediate and complete cooperation with
the Pastor Father Marino, whose hard work and intrepid energy in history, moved
parochial life into a new cycle.† Like the Crusaders, whose slogan was, ďGod wills itĒ, the
parishioners rallied to the call for the opening of the new church.† There followed many and diverse means for the
raising of the necessary funds:†
theatrical productions, fetes, bazaars, card parties, suppers, etc.,
until at last, Father Marino appeared before the Bishop of the Diocese requesting
a date for the dedication of the church.†
The date given is the one which has prompted the production of the
This page was last updated on Saturday, January 24, 2004 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to City of Erie
© 2004 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy