Erie County (PA) Genealogy
Fairview Township - Weis Library Methodist Church History
Contributed by Barb Seyler
The information below was provided by Barb Seyler. Please contact Barb if you have any comments or questions on this material. Photos below added by Bill Klauk in March 2002.
WEIS LIBRARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The Weis Library United Methodist Church is located on the corner of Heidler and Millfair Roads in Fairview Township.
In the year 1833 John Seybert, the first appointed missionary of the Evangelical Association visited Northwestern Pennsylvania. The site of the present Weis Library Community was one of his stops.
The first recorded preaching service for this community was July 14, 1833. As a result of this meeting, the first class leader appointed was John Hersey and the first minister was Elias Stoever, with a total of six preaching places.
This church has been a member of 4 different denominations: The Evangelical Association, The Evangelical Church, The Evangelical United Brethren Church and The United Methodist Church. All of this was done through mergers.
The first meetings were held in barns, school houses, or wherever the way was opened. Slabs of saw logs formed pews. People went in ox carts or wagons and took their dinner and stayed all day. About 1856 the people became interested in having a permanent place of worship. On April 27, 1857 Casper Doll, Jacob Miller and Simon Rohrer became the first Trustees of the land where the present church stands. The purchase price of the land was $89.00. A part of the land was to be reserved as a burial place.
The present church has been remodeled several times. Before the year 1902 men and women sat on separate sides of the church with a railing in the middle. The aisles at this time were on both sides. In 1875, the church membership was 44.
In 1946 excavation for the church basement under the original building was started and work completed, all this being done by church members.
Next the church was doubled in size to enlarge the Sanctuary and add Sunday School rooms, this portion dedicated July 31, 1955. More land was purchased and a new Sanctuary was built and joined to the old building and dedicated May 25, 1969. This is the present Sanctuary.
The above pictures were taken by Bill Klauk in March 2002 using a Sony Mavica FD-91 digital camera. Click on any of the images to see a full size photo. Use your browser back button to return to this page.
Change history: Original article posted January 15, 2002
Photos added March 23, 2002.
This page was last updated on Saturday, March 23, 2002 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie County Church Index
Return to Fairview Township