Erie County (PA) Genealogy
Smith Family 2nd Generation - Venango Twp. - Jane
Contributed by Susan Smith
The information below was written and submitted by Susan Smith. It is based on 20 plus years of research on the Thomas Smith family who settled in Venango Township in 1802. Thomas and his wife, Sarah, had 12 children with 9 of them remaining in the Erie area. Susan hopes that her contribution of detailed information about one of the SMITH families will help other SMITH researchers. Below is the 'story' of one of the children. Any comments or questions about the article or this family should be sent directly to Susan.
#10. Jane SMITH was born Mar 1801 Westmoreland Co., PA, the 9th child and 4th daughter of Thomas and Sarah SMITH. Jane died 7 Mar 1886 Atlantic Crawford Co., PA. She married Mason SHEPARD 24 Aug 1824 in Lowville Erie Co., PA. He was born 26 May 1789 Strafford VT, died 6 Nov 1865 East Fallowfield Crawford Co., PA. Both are buried in Greenfield Cem Porter's Corners Crawford Co., PA. Jane was the last of the twelve children of Thomas and Sarah to die.
Mason fought in the Battle of Plattsburgh NY during the War of 1812, as a private under Captain Hubbard. He applied for a land warrant for his services. It was received soon after his death and was sold as part of his estate.
He married in Vermont 1) Abigail Judd died 1819. They had a daughter, Abigail, who was raised by her maternal grandparents in Vermont.
Mason went to Pennsylvania with his brothers in March 1818. On February 21, 1828 he received a land warrant for 138 acres of land in Amity township, Erie Co., PA. Jane and Mason lived there until April 1851 when they moved to East Fallowfield township, Crawford Co., Pa, just south of Erie county. All eight of their children were born in Erie county.
Children of Jane Smith and Mason Shepard:
1) John SHEPARD born 1825 Erie Co. PA. He married Mary _?_, born 1836. They lived in Crawford Co. PA Children of John SHEPARD and Mary:
2) Sarah SHEPARD born 6 Feb. 1827 Erie Co. PA, died 4 Aug. 1912 IA. She married Orrin P ANDREWS 16 Dec. 1852 Crawford Co. PA. Orrin born 8 Dec. 1825 Richland NY, died 11 Jan 1902 IA. By 1855 they had moved to Morse Co IA where their first child was born. Children of Sarah SHEPARD and Orrin P ANDREWS:
3) Nancy SHEPARD born 1833 Erie Co. PA. She married Al WOODWARD. Children of Nancy SHEPARD and Al WOODWARD:
4) James Smith SHEPARD born 1835 Erie Co., PA; died 6 Dec 1905 Morse Johnson Co., IA. He lived for a time in California and in 1862 he was in Oil Creek PA.
5) William SHEPARD born 22 Jan 1836 Erie Co. PA, died 3 Jun. 1913 Crawford Co. PA. He married Permilia KLINGENSMITH 1 Jan 1866 Conneaut Lake Erie Co. PA. Permilia born 1844, died 1926. Both are buried in Greenfield Cemetery, Porter's Corners, Crawford Co. PA. William was drafted during the Civil War. He spent the rest of his life in Crawford Co. PA. Children of William SHEPARD and Permilia KLINGENSMITH:
6) Joseph Ritner SHEPARD born 2 Nov. 1838 Erie Co. PA, died 31 May 1908 Crawford Co. PA, buried in Porter's Cemetery Crawford Co. PA. He married 1) Celia Jane HAZEN 1 Aug. 1862 PA, 2) Katherine _?_, born 1849, died 24 Sep. 1929 Greenville PA, buried Greenfield Cemetery Porter's Corners Crawford PA. Joseph enlisted in Civil War Jan 30, 1864 for three years. He was a private in Company H, 2nd Regt. Pennsylvania, a heavy artillery machinist. He was missing in action near Chapins Farm in Virginia and captured by the enemy Sept. 29, 1864. He escaped March 31, 1865 and returned to duty April 30, 1865. He was mustered out Jan 29, 1866 at City Point, VA. He was a farmer in Crawford Co. PA. Children of Joseph Ritner SHEPARD and Celia Jane HAZEN:
Children of Joseph Ritner SHEPARD and Katharine:
7) David SHEPARD born 1842 Erie Co., PA, died 29 Mar 1865 York PA. David was in Company G 145th Reg PA during the Civil War from 1862 until he died of tuberculosis in 1865.
8) Mary Jane SHEPARD born 11 Mar 1844 Amity Erie Co. PA, died 2 Jan 1895 IA. She married Thomas METCALF about 1870. He was born 10 Mar 1841 OH, died 14 Mar 1913 IA. They are buried in Iowa City, Johnson Co. IA. Mary Jane and Thomas went to Iowa after their marriage. Thomas was a dry goods merchant. Children of Mary Jane SHEPARD and Thomas METCALF:
This page originally posted on May 5, 2001.
This page was last updated on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Erie Co Family Histories
Return to Venango Township
© 2001-2005 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy