Erie County (PA) Genealogy

Early Fairview Township Schools - Revised

written by Rich Biondi


The First Fairview Schools

Erie County histories state that the first schoolhouse in Fairview Township was built in 1804 of peeled logs on School-House Run, east of Manchester, probably a mile from the mouth of Walnut Creek (south and east).  John Linn (or Lynn), a Revolutionary War soldier, was the first teacher; William Gordon the second.  The next schoolhouse was located on the land of Jeremiah Sturgeon, which was within the present limits of Fairview borough.  This school operated as early as early as 1810.  The school was used for two winters and was taught first by John Hays and then by Squire McCreary.  In 1812, William Sturgeon erected a schoolhouse in which Jacob Eckison and John Hays taught.   Another school was built in 1812 on the Lake road.  In 1816 or 1817, a frame schoolhouse was built about one mile west of the residence of Thomas Sturgeon.  Among the teachers who served this school were a Mr. Brown, Charles Landon and Alonzo Strong.   At a later date, another school, built of logs, was erected near the dwelling of Johnston Eaton, in which Abner Jackson and Francis Plum taught school.  Also, at a very early date, there was a schoolhouse in the southeastern part of the township near the line dividing the townships of Mill Creek and Fairview.

About 1825, another schoolhouse was built in Fairview Village.  This school was a log building and was painted bright red.  The first teacher at the school was Moses Johnson who was followed by Mr. Jenness.  A notice published in the March 12, 1835 issue of the Erie Gazette regarding Erie County common schools mentioned Fargo’s schoolhouse in Fairview Township.

In 1844, two new frame-building schools were completed and the old red painted log school was abandoned.   The first new frame building school was built on Church Street in back of where the Presbyterian Church now stands, and the second was on Ridge Road at the east end of the village.  School was held in these two schoolhouses until the Academy ( Union School ) was built in 1866.  Some of the teachers at these two schools were Elizabeth Eaton, Asa McCoy, Roy McCoy, Mr. McLaughlin, Mrs. Jennie Warner Mills, Minnie Sterrett, and J. C. Sturdevant.

By late 1855, there were fourteen schools operating throughout Fairview Township.  In addition to the two schools in Fairview Village, one of these schools was the school on Dutch Road at the Manchester settlement and another was located a few miles south of the Fairview Village on the South Road.  The other remaining schools were scattered throughout the township.  The details of all these early schools are mostly lost to history due to the lack of surviving written records.


Fairview Village (Borough) – The Union School

In 1866, a wooden school named the Union School was built in Fairview Village on Depot Road (known later as North Garwood Street and now as Avonia Road) at the site of the present Post Office.  The school was constructed on an acre of land purchased for $600 from William and Perry Sturgeon and was erected at a cost of five thousand dollars.  The school building was two stories in height, about fifty feet in length by forty feet wide, and able to accommodate about 200 students.  The school building had three assembly (class) rooms and one recitation room.  As a result of the opening of the Union School, the existing two schools in Fairview Village were closed and converted into residential houses.

The school opening dedication ceremonies were held on Monday evening December 10, 1866.  The principal for the opening term at the school was Mr. Lyman S. Knight.  Initially, the Union School had only a Primary and Academic (high school) department.  In the spring of 1872, an Intermediate department was opened due to increased attendance.  The Primary and Intermediate departments (consisting of two rooms of four grades each) were on the first floor and the high school (Academic department) was located on the second floor.

On Monday, May 4, 1891, the Union School (known then as the Academy School or Fairview Academy) burned to the ground.  According to the Girard Cosmopolite account on May 7, 1891, smoke was seen coming from the west side and southwest corner of the building and within 30 minutes of the alarm, the walls of the school fell in.  It was reported that the school library, stove, organ and a few miscellaneous articles were saved before the collapse of the building.  The Cosmopolite report stated, “The origin of the fire is not known, but the prevailing opinion is that it was the work of an incendiary.”  It continued, “Persons first arriving on the ground say the fire preceded from under or near the stairway, remote from any connection with the facility for heating the rooms.  As the school closed Saturday no fire had been built in the stove since that time and could not have originated from this source.”  It was reported that the building was insured for only $1,500.

The school was rebuilt on the same site and in the same architectural style as before (but smaller) and re-opened on October 26, 1891.  The first principal in the new building was Mr. David S. Swaney.  The new school building was referred to as the Fairview Borough School and the primary, intermediate and high school grades continued to be taught at the school.  In the fall of 1894, a ninth grade was added to the high school.  A tenth grade was added in 1902 and an eleventh and twelve grade added in 1907.  In 1919, an addition was built on the north side of the school.


Fairview Borough School   (Photograph taken in 1908)

The front entrance of the school has a Taft-Sherman campaign banner displayed for the presidential election of 1908 in which William Howard Taft was elected president and James S. Sherman vice-president.


The Fairview Borough School remained in use as a high school until 1927 when a new joint Fairview Borough and Township high school was built on Chestnut Street.  From 1927 on, the school housed only elementary classes for the Borough.  The old white wooden school was closed in 1961 when a new high school was built on Route 98 (Avonia Road) and the joint high school on Chestnut Street was adapted for Grades k-8.  The old school was torn down in 1963 to make way for a new post office.

Those who served as principal and high school professor at the Union School and rebuilt Fairview Borough School are shown in the following list:

 

School Year

Principal

 

 

1866 - 1870

Mr. Lyman S. Knight

 

Mr. Robert P. Holliday

 

Mr. Chandler

 

1870 - 1873

Mr. H. C. Clinton

 

1873 - 1875

Mr. A. A. Freeman

 

1877 - 1878

Mr. D. C. Thomas

 

1879 - 1880

Mr. J. J. Sharp

 

1880 - 1881

Mr. F. W. Dunning

 

1884 - 1885

Mr. N. C. Satterlee

 

1885 - 1888

Mr. M. L. Davis

 

1888 - 1889

Mr. Curry

 

1889 - 1890

Mr. Jones

 

1890 - 1891

Mr. Joseph Rossiter

 

1891 - 1893

Mr. David S. Swaney

 

1893 - 1896

Mr. David M. LeFever

 

1896 - 1900

Mr. Edward A. Tate

 

1900 - 1901

Mr. V. R. Henry

 

1901 - 1904

Mr. R. Bruce Proudfit

 

1904 - 1906

Mr. William R. Lingo

 

1906 - 1908

Rev. Fuchs and Mr. Thomas Shallenberger

 

1908 - 1914

Mr. John R. Timmons

 

1914 - 1917

Mr. E. Frantz

 

1917 - 1919

Mr. Alanson J. Whittaker

 

1919 - 1927

Mr. Henry C. Herbolsheimer (Herbol)


Some of the teachers who taught the primary and intermediate department grades at the Fairview Union School and the rebuilt Fairview Borough School were as follows:

 

School Year

Teacher

Department

 

1866 - 1867

Miss Vine Luther

Primary

 

1866 - 1867

Miss Thompson

Primary

 

1868 - 1872

Miss Nellie Hay

Primary

 

1872 - 1873

Miss Nellie Hay

Primary

 

1872 (spring)

Miss Lester

Intermediate

 

1872 - 1873

Miss Mary Stuntz

Intermediate

 

1873 - 1874

Miss Flora Turner

Primary

 

1873 - 1874

Mr. Edward H. Stuntz

Intermediate

 

1877 - 1878

Miss Luella Stone

Primary

 

1877 - 1878

Mrs. Adalaide C. Holliday

Intermediate

 

1879 - 1880

Miss Holliday

Primary

 

1879 - 1880

Miss Sarah Eaton

Primary

 

1884 - 1885

Mrs. F. Dunning

Primary

 

1887 (spring)

Miss Hattie Stone

Primary

 

1887 - 1888

Miss Hattie Stone

Primary

 

1888 - 1889

Mrs. Curry

Primary

 

1890 - 1891

Miss Ada Yeagla

Primary

 

1891 - 1892

Miss Rose Webster

Primary

 

1892 - 1893

Miss Rose Webster

Primary

 

1893 - 1894

Miss Rose Webster

Primary

 

1893 - 1894

Miss McKee

Primary

 

1894 - 1895

Harry B. Rowell

Intermediate

 

1895 - 1896

Miss Edith Willis

Primary

 

1895 - 1896

Miss Ruth Hay

Intermediate

 

1898 - 1899

Miss Cora A. Cline

Primary

 

1898 - 1899

Miss Clara Evans

Intermediate

 

1900 - 1901

Miss Marion I. Nason

Primary

 

1900 - 1901

Miss Beatrice Deering

Intermediate

 

1903 - 1904

Miss Lula M. Swalley

Primary

 

1903 - 1904

Miss Marion I. Nason

Intermediate

 

1904 - 1905

Miss Lula M. Swalley

Primary

 

1904 - 1905

Laura Lloyd

Intermediate

 

1905 - 1906

Miss Lula M. Swalley

Primary

 

1906 - 1907

Miss Lula M. Swalley

Primary

 

1907 - 1908

Miss Della F. Beckman

Primary

 

1907 - 1908

Miss Lula M. Swalley

Intermediate

 

1908 - 1909

Miss Della F. Beckman

Primary

 

1908 - 1909

Miss Lula M. Swalley

Intermediate

 

1909 - 1910

Miss Della F. Beckman

Primary

 

1909 - 1910

Miss Hazel L. Peck

Intermediate


 

 

Year

Teacher

Department

 

1910 - 1911

Miss Anna C. Michael

Primary

 

1910 - 1911

Miss Fannie Ramsey

Intermediate

 

1911 - 1912

Miss Anna C. Michael

Primary

 

1912 - 1913

Miss Anna C. Michael

Primary

 

1913 - 1914

Bonna L. VanDusen

Intermediate

 

1915 - 1916

Mary L. Finnucan

Intermediate

 

1916 - 1917

Miss Nellie Peck

 

 

1917 - 1918

Miss Ruby Morgan

Intermediate

 

1918 - 1919

Miss Marie C. Spence

Intermediate

 

1919 - 1920

Mr. Clinton Miller

Grammar

 

1919 - 1920

Miss Edith E. Heidler

Primary

 

1919 - 1920

Miss Marie C. Spence

Intermediate

 

1921 - 1922

Hazel Gross

 

 

1921 - 1922

Gertrude Ryan

 

 

1921 - 1922

Miss Marie C. Spence

Intermediate

 

Following is a listing of the high school graduates from the Fairview Borough School from the year 1892 through 1927:

Class of 1892: Cora A. Cline, John R. Nason and Marion I. Nason.

Class of 1893: Grace Caughey, Myron Eldine, Bertha Melhorn and Hattie Weiblen.

Class of 1894: Clementine Beckman, Anna Charlotte Busch, Clara Evans, Joseph Grove, Ida Sophia Michael, Edith Letitia Nason, Harry Brecht Rowell, Martha Ryan and Catherine Zaun.

(Note: This was the last class of only eight grades in High School)

Class of 1895: Edith Rose Barron, James Dana Blair, Robert Wallace Blair, Charlotte Isabel Fuessler, Walter Frederick Hauser and Alice Lavina Irwine.

(Note: This was the first class to graduate from the ninth grade)

Class of 1896: Edith Belle Eaton, Lizzie Evans, Grace Marion Temple, Nellie Blanche Weiblen and Louella Susan Zaun.

Class of 1897: Charles Clarence Barron and Charles Walter Naef.

Class of 1898: Leo A. Barron, Perry E. Fritz, Jessie L. Fuessler, Agnes N. Hyke, Lola M. Kauffman, Bennie W. Kendig, Lula G. Platz, Fred Calton Stone and Herbert Temple.

Class of 1899: Lillian Hotchkiss and Elizabeth Rowell.

Class of 1900: Charles Bauer, Cynthia Grant, Bessie Killheffer, Clara Michael, Margaret Rowell, Eugene Shaffer, Lula M. Swalley and Cora Weiblen.

Class of 1901: Ethel Dunbar, Emma Evans, Catherine Faner, Josephine Henry, Ethel Hyke, Margaret Morrison, Frank Nece, John Nece, Margaret Schneider and Cora Zaun.

Class of 1902: Katherine Goetz, Nellie Killheffer, Ralph Kreider, Georgia Stone, Roy Struchen, Robert Tieche and Mabel Waidley.

No Class of 1903 as a tenth grade was added.

Class of 1904: Della F. Beckman and Winifred Weiblen.

Class of 1905: Ralph E. Busch, Frank Hartley, Fred Carl Michael, Elodie Ramer and Norma Struchen.

Class of 1906: Earl O. Bedient, Mayme Ennsle, John Goetz, Adolph Osterberg, Otto Osterberg, Clarence Schrader, Hattie Sisson, Ethel Thorton, Harrison Walters, John Weiblen, Louise Weislogel and Cora Wohlgemuth.

Class of 1907: Albert E. Garver, Anna C. Michael, Hazel L. Peck, Harry S. Struchen and Fred W. Turner.

No Class of 1908 as a eleventh and twelfth grade was added.

Class of 1909: Arthur Luther, Anna C. Michael and Hazel L. Peck

Class of 1910: Lois Busch, Forest Gibson, Charles Leslie and Herbert Weigel.

Class of 1911: Morrison Keeper and Fred Weiblen,

Class of 1912: Grover Beckman, Nellie Peck, Ruby Platz and Christine Turner.

Class of 1913: Ralph Heidler and Ethel Ryan.

Class of 1914: Minnie Pfeffer, Clara Platz, Gertrude Ryan, Ellison Taylor and Lovine Weisenbach.

Class of 1915: Frances Bixler, Susan Hancock, Harold Hanke, Ethel Hauck, Edna McCray and Marie C. Spence.

Class of 1916: Arthur Gornflo, Edith E. Heidler, Pearl Platz and Ruth Platz.

Class of 1917: Mabel Fitting and Bertha Peffer.

Class of 1918: Helen M. Goetz and Florence G. Heidler.

Class of 1919: Cora Fitting, Sylvia Pogson and Thomas Spence.

Class of 1920: Vera Busch, Bernice Hinkle, Helen Platz, Bell Rogers and Lillian Vigrass.

Class of 1921: Geraldine Alberta Busch, Mildred Hetz, Orin Knapp, Hazel Platz, Clyde Rogers and Ethel Sisson.

Class of 1922: Charles William Hetz, Lynn L. Leslie, Anna C. Pratt, Adella M. Struchen, Cora B. Struchen, Orinda L. Struchen and Grace Veith.>

Class of 1923: Hazel Mae Cooper, Archibald Christian Einfeldt, Clinton Leroy Einfeldt, Donald Joseph Hauck, Edith Sarah Johnson, Edna Elizabeth Johnson, Helen Marie Peffer, Lee Jacob Peffer, Charles Robert Traut, Marion Alberta Veith, Charles Levi Weislogel and Sara Jean White.

Class of 1924: Harriet Bixler, Geraldine Furber, Helen Heidler, Leroy Hetz, Amos Nason, Hazel Perry, Lillian Porter, Mary Sisson and Harold Weidler.

Class of 1925: Thora Bloeser, Lucy Hathaway, Reid Hathaway, Evelyn Struchen and May Weislogel.

Class of 1926: Julia Bausch, Elizabeth Cassell, Kenneth Getz, Bernice Goodenow, Agnes Marsh, Mildred Marsh, Ethel Merritt, James Papson, Esther Struchen, Iola Swalley and Marcus Waldo.

Class of 1927: Hazel Lenore Atwell, Emolen Lorena Fitting, Helen Winifred Fogelbach, Clifford Burton Hetz, Irene Dorothy Nelson, Ada Gertrude Payne, Joseph Hamilton Reed, Irma Irene Veith and Margaret Isabelle Jean Waldo.


Fairview Township – Frame Building Schools

By 1876, there were twelve one-room neighborhood frame-building schools operating throughout Fairview Township.  Some of these schools had been in use from at least as early as 1865.  These schools were built on private property and named for local families.  Each school was assigned a number based on the district in which it was located.  The schools were built and maintained by the neighbors whose children would attend them.  Of the twelve schools, six of these are still standing today.  These twelve one-room neighborhood frame-building schools were as follows:

McCreary/Avonia School: This school was located north of Avonia on the north side of the Lake Road (Route 5) at the intersection with Depot Road and was designated as School Number 1.  It had replaced an earlier school that stood on the on the south side of the Lake Road.  In February 1878, the frame-building Avonia School was sold at auction for $30.00 to Mr. James Brummitt.  The school was replaced in 1878 with the first brick school that was erected on the same site.

Willis School:  The Willis School was located on Lake Road and was named after the Franklin Willis family.  The school was built sometime between 1865 and 1867 and was designated as School Number 2.   The school was closed in 1900 and the building purchased by Byron Landis who moved it west about a ½ mile.  He used the building for storage of onions and then remodeled it into a residence with addition of a second floor and porch.  The building still stands today and is located just to the west of the entrance into White Hall Village along Route 5.  Some of those who taught at the Willis School were Miss Dora McLaughlin (1886 Spring Term), Miss Lizzie Ormes (1891), Miss Rose Webster (1894/1895) and Charlotte (Lottie) Fuessler (1897).

Swan (Manchester) School:  The Swan School was located on the north side of the Lake Road just east of Manchester Road on the Swan Property and named after the Richard Swan family.  The school was designated as School Number 3 and was in use until 1897 when a brick school house erected on the corner of Dutch Road and Lake Road (Route 5) replaced it.  The Swan school building is still standing today.  Some of the teachers at the school were Miss Minnie Mitchell (1886 Spring Term), Miss S. Belle Stone (1888/1889), George W. Zaun (1894/1895) and Mr. Mason (1896/1897).

Swanville School:  This school was located on north side of Ridge Road in Swanville at the intersection with Manchester Road (northeast corner) and was designated as School No. 4.  The school was named for the village in which it was located.  It was replaced in 1900 with a brick schoolhouse that was built on the same site.  Some of the teachers at the school were Mr. John W. Miller (1880/1881), Miss Maggie McCreary (1886 Spring Term), Miss Lillie Eaton (1891/1892), Miss S. Belle Stone (1894/1895) and Miss Clementine (Clema) Beckman (1896/1897).

Vance (Garver) School:   This school was located on Bear Creek Road and named after the Thomas Vance family.  The school was designated as School Number 5 and was also known as Morehead and in later years as Garver.  This was the second school that stood on this site.  The first school was replaced in 1885.  Some of the teachers at the school were Miss Anna Gulliford (1886 Spring Term), Miss Emma Evans (1905/1906) and Miss Jessie L. Fuessler (1908).  The Garver grammar school (eighth grade) graduate of 1907 was Edith Garver.  The Garver School was last in operation during the 1951-1952 school year for grades 1-3.  The building was torn down sometime after the school and land were sold in 1952.

Heidler School:  This school was located on the south side of Heidler Road and built on the property of Levi Heidler.  The school was designated as School Number 6.  The Heidler school building is still standing today and is in use as a private residence.  Some of the teachers at the school were Miss Rose Webster (1885 Winter Term), Miss Maggie Kirk (1886 Spring Term), Miss Cora A. Cline (1895/ 1896), Miss Sara E. Jones (1905/1906), Miss Charlotte Stebbins (1906/1907), Miss Edna W. Strubel (1907 through 1909) and Miss Vera Busch (1921 through 1923).

Ruhl (Kreider) School:  This school was located on McKean Road (now Kreider Road) and was known in later years as the Kreider School.   The school was designated as School Number 7.  The Ruhl (Kreider) school building is still standing today and is in use as a private residence.   Some of the teachers at the school were Miss Mertie Nason (1886 Spring Term), Charles W. Naef (1901/1902), Arthur Epp (1907 through 1909), Miss Marie C. Spence (1916/1917), Miss Sarena Peffer (1918/1919), Miss Bartholme (1919/1920) and Miss Helen Platz (1920 through 1922).

Rick (Yeagla) School:  The Rick school was located on Girard Road (near what is now the intersection of Sterretania and Platz Road) and was named after the Michael Rick family.  It was also known as the Yeagla School as it was across the road from the property of David Yeagla.  The school was designated as School Number 8.  The building no longer remains.  Some of the teachers at the school were Miss May Pherrin (1886 Spring Term) and Miss Mary Rick (1890/1891).

Van Camp School:  The Van Camp School was located on the southeast corner of Van Camp Road and Seib Road and was designated as School Number 9.  The school building is still standing at its original location having been remodeled into a private residence.  Some of the teachers were Mr. A. M. Luther (1886 Spring Term) and Maybelle Ryan (1905 through 1908).  The Van Camp grammar school (eighth grade) graduates of 1906 were Adelaide Dibble, Eva Leopold, Maude Luther, Archie Ryan and Cora Ryan.

Beckman School:  The Beckman School was located in the southwest portion of the township at what is now the intersection of Beckman Road and Franklin Avenue.  It was built on the property of Daniel Beckman and was designated as School Number 10.  The school burned down in 1904 and was not replaced.  Some of the teachers at the school were Mr. R. M. Zindel (1886 Spring Term) and Miss Lizzie Asmus (1896/1897).  Some of the students that attended the school in 1902-1903 were Arthur Luther, Chester Luther, Ernest Luther, Esther Luther and Monroe Luther.

Stuntz School:   This school was located south of the borough on what is now Franklin Avenue and was named after the Stephen Stuntz family.  The school was designated as School Number 11.  After the school was closed down in 1905, it was moved to Antolik Road for use as a residence and was subsequently torn down in 1966.  Some of the teachers at the school were Miss Mary Rick (1886 Spring Term) and Miss Maybelle Ryan (1902/1903).  Some of the students that attended the school in 1902-1903 were Bertha Ruhl, Clyde Weigel and Herbert Weigel.

Miner School:  This school was located on the northern end of Maple Avenue on a bluff overlooking the gravel pit and was built in 1865.  The school was named for Nelson S. Miner and located on his property.  The Miner School was also referred to as the Sturgeon school and was designated as School Number 12.  The school was closed in 1903 and eventually remodeled into a private residence.  The building is still standing today.  Some of those who taught at the school were Miss Hattie Stone (1885/1886), Mr. John R. Nason (1892/1893), Miss Ada (Anna) Yeagla (1894/1895) and Mr. J. Turner (1896/1897).

The Miner School class of 1896-1897 consisted of Leo A. Barron, Catherine Faner, Donald Hay, Florence Hay, John Hay, Levi Markwood, Anna McClure, Minnie McClure, Alta Nece, Hazel L. Peck, Harvey Rilling, Irvin Rilling, Cora Wohlgemuth and Roy Wohlgemuth.


Most of these frame-building schools were retired when four brick schools were erected in the township. When a frame-building school was replaced with the new brick building, the old school name and number was reused.  By 1905, only the Kreider School, Garver School, Heidler School, and Van Camp School were still in operation.  The Garver School was the last of the frame-building schools to be retired when it closed in 1952.


Fairview Township - Brick School Houses

Avonia School (School No. 1):   The Avonia School (School No. 1) was the first of the brick schoolhouses.  It was built in 1878 at the intersection of the Lake and Depot roads on the same site as the frame McCreary/Avonia School building.  The Fairview Township board of school directors issued the contract to build the school to Joseph Haupt and the construction of the school was completed in November of 1878.  The Cosmopolite reported that the cost to build the school was $2,000.

The schoolhouse had two classrooms and was a graded school.  The younger students were taught in the smaller room in the back while the older students used the larger room in front.   The Avonia School taught grades 1 through 6, adding 2 more grades in the following years and finally a ninth grade.

Some of those who taught at the Avonia School were Mr. Robert P. Holliday (1878/1879 - teacher and principal) , Miss Ada Holliday (1878 through 1880 - Primary Department), Miss Iva Miner (1886 Spring Term), Miss Emma Goodrich (1888- 1889), Miss Minnie Long (1888-1889), Miss Mary Webster (1890- 1891 - Primary Department), J. R. Clark (1892/1893), Mr. Flynn (1893/1894), Clark Luther (1894-1895), John R. Timmons (1895-1896), Mr. Sutherland (1896-1897), George W. Zaun (1897- 1898), Charles W. Naef (1898-1899), Harry B. Rowell (1899 through 1901), Leo Barron (1901-1902), Miss Mable McMichael (1902-1903), Miss Mary E. True (1904 through 1908 - teacher and principal), Mabel Johnson (1905 through 1908 - Primary Department) and Ella Mae Karney (1910-1911).  The Avonia School was closed in 1952.  Since then, the building has been used for a variety of purposes and today is a private residence.

Avonia School (School No. 1) – Photograph taken in 2001

 

The Avonia grammar school (eighth grade) graduates of 1906 were Flora Dawley, Frank Getz, Clarence Hauser, Charlie Leslie, George Lloyd and Mamie McElroy .  The Avonia high school graduate of 1906 was Raymond J. Thornton.  The grammar school (eighth grade) graduates of 1907 were Damon Fisher, Ida L. Geiger, Leo Hartley, Ethel M. Johnson, Earl M. Platz and Bessie M. Pogson.


Manchester School (School No. 3):  The Manchester School (School No. 3) was built in 1897 at the intersection of the Lake and Dutch Roads and replaced the frame-building Swan School located on the Lake Road just east of Manchester Road.  Some of those who taught at the Manchester School were Ray McLaughlin (1899/1900), Miss Jessie L. Fuessler (1903 through 1905 and 1908/1909), Wendell Ball (1905/1906), Frederick C. Michael (1906 through 1908), Carl Abbey (1909/1910) and Miss Edna W. Strubel (1910 through 1912).  The school was closed in 1952 and used for a variety of purposes over the years.  Most recently it was used as an antique shop.  Today the school stands empty and is again up for sale.

Manchester School (School No. 3) – Photograph taken in 2001

 

The Manchester School class of 1903 consisted of Edna Buseck, Pearl Drake, Carl Garries, Dorothy Garries, Bertha Grossholz, Freda Grossholz, Lawrence Hahn, Clyde Hall, Frances Hancock, Harvey Hancock, Lula (Lou) Hancock, Harold Holland, Lottie Kissell, Mandi Kissell, Harry Merritt, Laverne Merritt, Ray Merritt, Bessie Miller, Clinton Miller, Floyd Miller, Helen Schrader, Laura Walter, Ralph Walter and Rex Webster.

The Manchester school eighth grade graduates of 1906 were Harold Holland,Ralph Holland, Harry Merritt and Rex Webster.  The eighth grade graduates of 1907 were Carl Garries, C. Raymond Merritt, Helen Schrader and Edward Stork.


Swanville School (School No. 4):  The Swanville School (School No. 4) was built in 1900 at the northeast corner of the intersection of Manchester Road and Route 20 (Ridge Road).  This school replaced the frame Swanville School that stood at the same location.  The first teacher at the new school when it opened in the fall of 1900 was Miss Lula Swalley of Manchester.  Some of the others who taught at the Swanville School were Miss Mabel McMichael (1901/1902), Miss Jessie L. Fuessler (1905 and 1910), Sarah E. Jones (1906 through 1908), Nettie H. Gilhaven (1911/1912) and Miss Edith E. Heidler (1918/1919).   After the school was sold when it closed in 1952, it was first used as an auction room.  Today the building is used for storage for an adjacent business.

Swanville School (School No. 4) – Photograph taken in 1999

 

The Swanville School class of 1910 consisted of Aris Bovee, Glenville Brewer, Hazel Brewer, Mabel Brewer, Norman Brewer, Carlos Fuessler, Ruth Fuessler, Theodore Grossholz, Lizzie Hancock, Myrtle Hancock, Susie Hancock, Marie Heberlein, Millie Iseli, Milton Iseli, Herbert Kernick, Elmer Mills, Erna Stahle, Gertrude Strubel, Ralph Strubel, Edna Struchen, Helen Struchen and Esther Wilde.

The 1918 Swanville School class consisted of Harry Anderson, Homer Anderson, Margaret Anderson, Viola Anderson, Donald Brewer, Carlos Fuessler, Madeline Fuessler, Paul Fuessler, Elizabeth Hancock, Earnest Hornaman, Marguerite Hornaman, Marshall Hornaman, Ralph Hornaman, Dean Johnson, Edward Maxson, Georgia Maxson, Lola Maxson, Walter Maxson, Charles Mills, Walter Mills, Mary Warner and Spencer Warner.


South High:   The last of the brick township schools was built in 1905 on Tannery Road just off Route 98 and was named South High.   The school was later referred to as the Fairview Township High School.   The school was built on the Zindel Farm where an acre of land was purchased.  South High school (a two-story building) taught grades 1 through 9 and opened in the fall of 1905.  The school was closed in 1952 and today is used as a private residence.  Some of the principals of South High were Ralph R. Weigel (1905 through 1907), Henry Peavy (1908) and Mr. Hoyt (1922).  Some of the teachers were Margaret Nason of Fairview (1905 - Primary Department) and Emma Evans (1908 - Primary Department).

The South High grammar school (eighth grade) graduates of 1906 were Forrest Gibson, Harold Luther, Alton Tryon and Herbert Weigel.  The high school graduates of 1906 were Mary Kreider, Winfred Nason and Pearl Swift.

The South High grammar school (eighth grade) graduates of 1907 were George Swift, Grant Swift and Edward Voss.  The high school graduates of 1907 were Lyle Baldwin, Arthur Epp, Bessie Gibson, Arthur Luther, George Luther, Clyde Weigel, Adella Weitzel, Carl Wright, Rufus Wright and Ralph Zindel.

South High School – Photograph taken in 2002
(The South High School building originally had a bell tower similar to the one that was on the Fairview Borough School.)

 


Resources:

"Atlas of Erie County Pennsylvania", (F. W. Beers, A. D. Ellis & G. G. Soule 1865)

"Combination Atlas Map of Erie County Pennsylvania", (Everts, Ensign & Everts, 1876)

Bates, Samuel P., "History of Erie County, Pennsylvania", (Warner, Beer’s & Company: Chicago, 1884), pp. 742-743

Fairview High Star Commencement Book, 1926

The Girard Cosmopolite, Girard, Pennsylvania, 1889 - 1912

Miller, John, "A Twentieth Century History of Erie County Pennsylvania – Volume I", (The Lewis Publishing Company, 1909), p. 459

Shields Freeman, Sabina, "Fairview Schools have a long History in Erie County", Cosmopolite Herald, February 12, 1976, Page 5

Shields Freeman, Sabina, "Twice Around The Township, Fairview History Retold", 1990

"Fairview Centennial 1868-1968", 1968

"Teachers Monthly Reports for Manchester School No. 3, Fairview District, Erie County", 1903 – 1912


Article & Photographs (except as noted) © 2001-2003 Richard P. Biondi

Original article posted November 2001, Updated March 2002, Revised June 2003


This page was last updated on Saturday, June 7, 2003.

Return to Erie County Genealogy

Return to Fairview Township

Return to Erie Co Schools Index

Page Layout and Design © 2001-2003 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy