County (PA) Genealogy
Schools - Public & Private
Elk Creek Township - Elk Creek High School
Contributed by Kathleen St. George
The information and pictures below have been provided by Kathleen St. George by way of the Elk Creek Township coordinator Mary Silfies Mills. The pictures are "class photos" of students at the Elk Creek High School from the 1934 to 1939 time period. None of the individuals in the photos have been specifically identified. The contributor's mother, Grace Margaret Cole, attended this school and it is believed that these are her class pictures. Grace Margaret Cole was the daughter of Mina Winona Stewart Cole and James Milton Cole. The family lived across from the Pont Church.
A brief history of the Elk Creek School has been provided. A two-story school building was erected in Wellsburg, which was dedicated in 1879. Thomas Osborn gave the dedication speech. This building burned in 1908 and a brick building was built which was dedicated September 17, 1909. This brick building was also destroyed by fire and a second brick building erected which stood until May 28, 1944 when it also burned. This building housed the first eight grades as well as high school grades nine to twelve, up to 1926, when Wellsburg was made a three-year high school. After the fire, grades one through four were taught in the Knights of Pythias Hall and the other four grades transported to Pont. The high school students attended Albion.
Any comments or inquiries concerning this contribution should be directed to Mary Silfies Mills.
This page was last updated on Friday, December 19, 2003 .
Return to Erie County Genealogy
Return to Elk Creek Township
Return to Erie Co Schools Index page