Erie County (PA) Genealogy
Devereaux School Class
Contributed by Andy Pochatko
Writing about Devereaux School House, Vickie Canfield Peters writes that the
"1884 History of Erie County lists the Devereaux School as one of 15
located in the township. [In the 1865 Atlas of Erie County, the school
is] located just west of the intersection of Huntley and Griffey Roads. The
school was boardered by property owned by H.M. Devereaux, S. Devereaux, and
W.C. Devereaux." Sometime before the turn of the century, the school house
was moved to its present location on private property on U.S. Rte. 20.
Glenna Oschier, wife of Dr. M.M. Oschier, wrote the owner that she, as a
little girl, stood on the corner of Rte. 20 stood Huntley road and watched
the school being moved into place. Ironically, Glenna failed to mention that
she was at one time a teacher in this very school. She is the teacher in
the picture below. The photo has been enhanced for better viewing. Questions
or comments about this picture, please
forward to the contributor directly.
To view a larger image, click on the image.
- (Front Row, left to right) Homer Abbey, Ira Allds, Jay Sherman,
Edward Abbey, Clifford Lewis, Merl Rossiter
- (Second Row, left to right) John Abbey, Lona Allds, Hazel
Ordeway, Ethel Ordeway, Emma Joslin, Albert Allds
- (Back Row, left to right) Lizzie Randall, Blanch Sherman,
Glenna Steenberg (teacher), Abbie Joslin, Florence Lewis
This page was last updated on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 .
Erie County Genealogy
to Springfield Township
Erie Co Schools Index page
© 2005 Erie County Pennsylvania Genealogy