Erie County (PA) Genealogy
Coordinated by Beth Simmons
photo by Bill Klauk
Colt's Station - Intersection of 89 & 430
Boroughs and Villages
WELCOME TO GREENFIELD TOWNSHIP!
In addition to Harbor Creek Township, Beth Simmons has requested to be coordinator for Greenfield Township as of August 2007. We welcome Beth in volunteering for this additional coordinator work.
Beth Simmons is a descendant of Greenfield Township residents. Her mother, Helen King Evans, traced back to Peter B. and Laura Walker King. Laura Walker was a descendant of early Erie County settler Justus Walker. Beth's grandparents, Alfred and Elizabeth Cass King, lived across Prindle Road from the Prindle School. Elizabeth Cass, of the Harbor Creek Cass families, taught school at Lowry school in Harbor Creek in the early 1900s; Alfred King served as the school director for Greenfield township most of his life.
Beth's father's (Kenneth Evans) family traces back to Ebenezer Evans who owned land along the eastern border of Harbor Creek township in 1825. The Evans family lived at the top of Scott Hollow Hill - and at one time, owned land on both sides of Station Road. The Evans' and the Henton's from Harbor Creek and Greene Township (at Boscobel and Wales) are intimately tied together. A group of researchers from all the families descended from that neighborhood are working, via the Internet, to tie the history of that unique Welsh community back together.
Beth familiarized herself with Greenfield history when she unearthed an original Day Book kept at the Colt Station Store by Enoch Marvin and Judah Colt during 1798-1799. Her research shows that Colt Station and the village of Greenfield were much more developed than John Miller had indicated in his History of Erie County written over 100 years later. Read "A Window Opens to Erie's Past" on the Erie County website to learn more about the Day Book and what it revealed.
Beth is now located in Lakewood, Colorado, working on a Ph.D. in Colorado History (nearly completed) and writing a biography, "The Legacy of Arthur Lakes," about the famous dinosaur bone hunter and original geology professor at the Colorado School of Mines. She has won numerous awards for her historical writing in Colorado. One was for her book, "A Quick History of Idaho Springs," the first major mining town in Colorado 30 miles west of Denver. The latest awards came from Historically JeffCo, the Jefferson County Historic Commission for articles about the funiculars (cable car tourist attractions) that existed in JeffCo and a great placer gold mining operation called Roscoe near the west border of JeffCo along Clear Creek. Other books are in the planning stages.
Beth has all her historical information from Erie County in Colorado, and along with Ancestry.com and the GenWeb does lookups and searches for anyone looking for descendants from eastern Erie County. It's hard to confine the research to one township because the families lived in the "region." A great place to start researching Greenfield is to visit the Hornby School, the last of one-room school left in the township. A group of local residents work very hard to preserve and maintain the school; they will answer questions about the township. Actually, through this GenWeb site, two Erie County researchers have emerged in Denver, of all places, complete with archives and artifacts from Erie County!
If you need help researching this area, or if you have anything to contribute, Beth would love to hear from you. Just send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is some additional info about Greenfield Township:
The early settlers of Greenfield Township arrived in the 1790's. Among them were Judah Colt; his brothers-in-law, Elisha and Enoch Marvin; Henry and Dyer Loomis, and Joseph Shadduck. Many of the original settlers did not stay in Greenfield. Records indicate that many had moved on by the time of the 1800 census. Those that stayed planted some very firm roots, and many of their descendants are still in the area today.
About 1795, Judah Colt came to Greenfield. He was an agent for the Pennsylvania Population Company and opened an office in 1797 at what is now known as Colt's Station.
Around 1799, Leverett Bissell, a Revolutionary War soldier, founded a landing and saw mill on French Creek. Leverett left the area around 1805 or 1806, leaving his son, Cyril, in charge. This area was known as Bissell's Landing. A small village developed there which became known as Greenfield, or by its nickname: Little Hope.
Joseph Shadduck settled in an area to the west of the village of Greenfield. The intersection of two roads in that area was known as Shadduck's Corners. A special post office was established there on June 15, 1883. It was designated the Hornby Post Office, with Daniel Hunt as Postmaster. Today, the area still bears the name of Hornby.
About a mile or so north of Colt's Station was a "huddle of cabins" known as Log City. This small community became known as Nasby. It had a one-room schoolhouse called Bissell School, where first through eighth grades were taught. Gone now, the school was located at the current intersection of Calkins Road and Route 89.
This page was last updated on Friday, November 16, 2007.
Return to Erie Co. Townships Index
Return to Erie County Genealogy Project