Erie County (PA) Genealogy
Some Townships still need a volunteer coordinator. Please contact Bill Klauk if you are interested in helping him keep the townships up to date!
Click on the township name to find out more about it. Please note that the City of Erie and the City of Corry will not be included in the township pages, but under their own pages. Boroughs will be included under the township that surrounds it.
Amity Township - coordinated by Bimmy Urso
Concord Township - coordinated by Dorothy Miller
Conneaut Township - coordinated by Andy Pochatko
Lawrence Park Township - Coordinator Needed!
Millcreek Township - coordinated by Linda Nyberg Ferree
Union Township - coordinated by Bimmy Urso
Venango Township - coordinated by John Robison
Washington Township - coordinated by Bob & Kathy Groner
Waterford Township - coordinated by Herb Kinney
Wayne Township - Coordinator Needed!
|The following is from: Samuel
P. Bates, History of Erie County, Pennsylvania, (Warner,
Beers & Co.: Chicago, 1884). Submitted by
Gaylene Kerr Banister
The townships originally established in Erie County were sixteen in number, as follows: Brokenstraw, Beaver Dam, "Coniaute," "Conniat," Elk Creek, Fairview, Greenfield, Harbor Creek, "Le Boeuff [sic]," Mill Creek, McKean, North East, Springfield, Union, Venango, Waterford.
The following townships have been added, making twenty-one in all: Amity, Franklin, Girard, Summit, Wayne.
The name of Brokenstraw was changed to Concord in 1821.
Amity was taken from Union in 1826.
Wayne was formed out of Concord in 1826.
Girard was set off from Elk Creek, Fairview and Springfield in 1832.
The name of "Coniaute" was changed to Washington in 1834.
That of Beaver Dam was changed to Greene in 1840.
Franklin was created out of parts of Washington, McKean and Elk Creek in 1844.
Summit was formed out of Greene, Waterford and McKean in 1854.
Lawrence Park became
the 22nd township in 1926, being built specifically as a
"Company town" for General Electric.
This page was last updated on Thursday, January 22, 2009.
Return to Erie County Genealogy