The stone marker at the left was placed by the Fort McClure Chapter in 1907. The house
faces the Susquehanna River, and is not far above where Fishing Creek enters the river.
Our beginning was on Washington's Birthday in 1905 when twenty women
indicated their desire to form a chapter of the DAR in Bloomsburg.
Charter members were enrolled and signed the formal application
April 10, 1905, and the charter was received on April 22, 1905.
In April 1907, members dedicated a marker on the site of the original
Three descendants of James McClure were present, including his
granddaughter Martha McClure Hartman, who had been born there in
1825 and had lived in Bloomsburg all her life.
During World Wars I & II the ladies of the chapter contributed many
hours of volunteer service in various forms. McClure House, located
at the Fort McClure site close to the Susquehanna River, was acquired
in 1955 while Mrs. Norman Hoffman was Regent. Much time and effort
by chapter members and the community has enabled the chapter to
restore and preserve the McClure house as one of the earliest homes
now within the environs of Bloomsburg.
|FIRST VICE REGENT||Joan Troy|
|SECOND VICE REGENT||Diane Wukovitz|
|RECORDING SECRETARY||Linda Ivey|
|CORRESPONDING SECRETARY||Dayann Crossley|
|TREASURER||Mary Baker Rosenberg|
|REGISTRAR||Cinda Hartman Lally|
Chapter members helped Bloomsburg celebrate its 200th birthday in October 2002. A Chapter Float followed the banner and treats were tossed to parade watchers, while other members walking along handing out Flag Codes.
Members make regular trips to the Veterans Hospital in Luzerne Co. to bring some cheer & to let them know their service to the USA is not forgotten. Small gifts, sometimes handmade, are given to the patients, the ladies write letters for them & spend time just "visiting" as some of these veterans do not have family or friends able to come for a visit.
Each year we attend our State Conference as it is the best way to learn more
about DAR activities on National & State levels and to greeting DAR friends.
Shown here after a recent opening night session are:
L/R Seated: Carol Patterson ,Chapter Chaplain; Helen Linker, Honorary Chapter Regent;
Linda Ivey, Chapter Vice Regent.
Standing: Thelma Reese, Past State Chaplin; Carol Slusser, Chapter Registrar; Loraine Prutzman, Honorary Chapter Regent & Vinniedee Hippensteel, Chapter Regent.
In April 2005 the Chapter celebrated its 100th Anniversary with a wonderful luncheon at
the Frosty Valley Country Club. Several State Officers and a generous number from
other area DAR Chapter members joined us on a very rainy day.
The program featured a display of period clothing & accessoories & a Fashion Show
featuring attire from 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 & 1940.
Linda Ivey, Chapter Vice Regent was the organizer & commentator for this delightful program.
Models (L/R) were: Loraine Prutzman 1900, Lisa McCay 1930,
Melissa Warmkessel 1920, Thelma Reese 1910 & 1940.
WE REVISIT A CHAPTER EVENT OF 1907
On April 10th 2007 members & guests assembled to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the dedication of the Fort McClure Marker honoring Moses Van Campen. We began with the presentation of a new Flag of the United States which was raised to the top of our flag pole, followed by the singing of the National Anthem. Then brief speeches of congratulations from the distinguished men of Columbia County in 1907 . A military salute of three rounds by the Fort McClure Post 804 VFW was followed by Taps. We were pleased to have remembered the women of the Chapter, who so many years ago had undertaken to honor the site with the splendid marker. A luncheon, with menu matching that of 1907, was enjoyed by members & guests in the rooms of the McClure House. Following the luncheon the honored DAR guests, accompanied by our Chapter Regent & Vice Regent, were transported a few blocks to the Columbia County Courthouse by horse-drawn carriage to attend the afternoon program. We gathered in the Courtroom to hear from the several gentlemen who echoed the sentiments of their predecessors on that auspicious day so long ago. Musical offerings from 1907 were enjoyed.
|HOME PAGE||CHAPTER PATRIOT ANCESTORS||CHAPTER PROGRAMS||COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD|
|DAR Public Web Site||FORT MCCLURE HOUSE PAGE||JAMES MCCLURE PAGE|