FORT McCLURE CHAPTER
This part of the "cabin area" had originally been a summer kitchen with a simple porch
(as shown in a color print in "Frontier Forts of Pennsylvania"). In the 1960s, the chapter
converted the summer kitchen into a meeting room, and had
it sided with logs obtained locally from an old barn.
Since then, it has flooded several times, and the Ft. McClure Chapter Daughters have
repaired the hardwood floor which buckled after the flood of the Susquehanna in 1997.
The interior of the cabin area of the house has an attractive fireplace
which now has a propane-log heater installed.
It is furnished with plank bottom chairs purchased by chapter members as well
as several other antique items not seen in this photo.
The Stone Marker in front of the McClure House was dedicated on April 11, 1907, with several
descendants of James McClure present. According to a complete newspaper account,
it was a major event, with lots of lengthy speeches, a luncheon, and took all day.
The Chapter minutes indicate that this marker was originally placed back of the house,
but it was soon moved to the river side as to be seen more readily.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the State organizations, or individual DAR Chapters.