The stone marker at the left was placed by the Fort McClure Chapter in 1907. The house
faces the Susquehanna River, and is not far above where Fishing Creek enters the river.
Our beginning was on Washington's Birthday in 1905 when twenty women
indicated their desire to form a chapter of the DAR in Bloomsburg.
Charter members were enrolled and signed the formal application
April 10, 1905, and the charter was received on April 22, 1905.
In April 1907, members dedicated a marker on the site of the original
Three descendants of James McClure were present, including his
granddaughter Martha McClure Hartman, who had been born there in
1825 and had lived in Bloomsburg all her life.
During World Wars I & II the ladies of the chapter contributed many
hours of volunteer service in various forms. McClure House, located
at the Fort McClure site close to the Susquehanna River, was acquired
in 1955 while Mrs. Norman Hoffman was Regent. Much time and effort
by chapter members and the community has enabled the chapter to
restore and preserve the McClure house as one of the earliest homes
now within the environs of Bloomsburg.
|FIRST VICE REGENT||Joan Troy|
|SECOND VICE REGENT||Diane Wukovitz|
|RECORDING SECRETARY||Linda Ivey|
|CORRESPONDING SECRETARY||Dayann Crossley|
|TREASURER||Mary Baker Rosenberg|
|REGISTRAR||Cinda Hartman Lally|
Each year we attend our State Conference as it is the best way to learn more about DAR activities on National & State levels and to greeting DAR friends. Shown here in 2013 are: L/R Seated: Lind Ivey, Amber Anthony, Thelma Reese, Beverlee Felkner Standing: Candice Lupini, Vinniedee Hippensteel, Joan Troy
and Amber Anthony with Regent Vinniedee Hippensteel
WE REVISIT A CHAPTER EVENT OF 1907
On April 10th 2007 members & guests assembled to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the dedication of the Fort McClure Marker honoring Moses Van Campen. We began with the presentation of a new Flag of the United States which was raised to the top of our flag pole, followed by the singing of the National Anthem. Then brief speeches of congratulations from the distinguished men of Columbia County in 1907 . A military salute of three rounds by the Fort McClure Post 804 VFW was followed by Taps. We were pleased to have remembered the women of the Chapter, who so many years ago had undertaken to honor the site with the splendid marker. A luncheon, with menu matching that of 1907, was enjoyed by members & guests in the rooms of the McClure House. Following the luncheon the honored DAR guests, accompanied by our Chapter Regent & Vice Regent, were transported a few blocks to the Columbia County Courthouse by horse-drawn carriage to attend the afternoon program. We gathered in the Courtroom to hear from the several gentlemen who echoed the sentiments of their predecessors on that auspicious day so long ago. Musical offerings from 1907 were enjoyed.
|HOME PAGE||CHAPTER PATRIOT ANCESTORS||CHAPTER PROGRAMS||COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD|
|FORT MCCLURE HOUSE PAGE||JAMES MCCLURE PAGE|