Transcribed from the "History of Allegheny County

Scott Township - At the October sessions 1860, a petition for the division of Upper St. Clair was filed, and a commission appointed for its consideration. The measure was carried, by a majority of forty-two, at an election held April 23, 1861, the division was confirmed by decree of court, when the new township received the name Scott. It extends from Chartiers creek on the west side to Baldwin township on the east, with an area of about ten square miles. The population was 1,807 in 1870, and 1523 in 1880. The earliest permanent settlers were Alexander Long, Andrew McFarlane, John Henry and William Lea. Long was from York county. McFarlane emigrated from Ireland to Philadelphia in 1758. In 1774 he was a justice of the peace, prob-ably the first in the township. Lea was a soldier, and rose to the rank of major. He had sons, William, Robert and Samuel. The sons of William were William Robert, Samuel, Lafayette and James W,; of Robert, David N. and Thomas; of Samuel, John, William and Samuel. Hezejiah, William, Thomas and Samuel Nixon were the sons of Jame (Lea) Nixon, Isaac Williams and sons John, Isaac and Robert; John, William and ____ Turner; Peter Ross and son Casey,John Ross and son Philip, Willaim Glenn and sons James and William were also early residents.

		The township in common with all this section of country, is 
	rich in mineral resources.  The first coal mine on the Chartiers 
	Valley railroad, south of Mansfield, is No. 2 of the Mansfield Coal 
	and Coke company, open in 1883.  Five hundred men are employed, and 
	175 cars are required in the shipment of the product, which amount 
	to 600 tons daily, and 120,000 tons in the course of a year.  Glendale 
	colliery, 300 feet east of Glendale station, is operated by Gregg 
	Brothers.  The Nixon mines, 300 feet east of Leasdale station were 
	opened by the Chartiers Valley Coal company in 1878, and are now 
	owned by W. A. Black; 75 men are employed.  The daily output is 300 
	tons for the shipment of which the proprietor uses 53 cars.  The 
	Diamond mines, 500 feet east of Leasdale station, and Leasdale mines, 
	600 feet east of Woodville station, are among the oldest in this line 
	of railway.  Summer Hill mines , at Woodville, were opened by Romer & 
	Jones in 1875.  Negley & Black succeeded to their ownership in 1878, 
	and Jessup & Co. in the same year, when (1879) the present proprietor, 
	Frank Armstrong, assumed control.  Six hundred tons are produced daily,
	employing 175 men, and requiring 96 cars.  The Old Bower Hill mines, 
	1,200 feet east of Bower Hill station, were reopened by the Imperial 
	Coal company in 1887 after a long period of suspension.  Bower Hill No.
	2, 1,500 feet east of the station of that name, has been operated 
	since 1875 by A. J. Schulte.  One hundred and twenty-five men are 
	employed.
		The station on the Chartiers Valley railroad in this county are 
	Glennis, Leasdale and Woodville.  Glendale is an important suburb of 
	Mansfield borough.Leasdale derives its name from the Lea family, which 
	was early represented in the vicinity.  The Leasdale Glass company, T. 
	F. Hart, president; M. H. Hart, secretary; R. Brankston, manager, are 
	the proprietors of the glassworks at this place, established in 1870 
	by Lindsay Brothers, and owned successivly by the Lindsay Glass 
	company, Robert Liddell and Gallatin Glass company.  The plant con-
	sists of a frame building 200 feet long and 60 feet wide, one ten-pot 
	furnace, and a corresponding number of lehrs and ovens; 50 men are 
	employed, and 45 boys.  Flint botles constitute the exclusive product, 
	which is valued at $55,000 annually.
		Long's Arlington and Mt Lebanon were stations on the Pittsburgh 
	& Southern railroad, in the eastern part of the township, before that 
	road was abandoned.  Mt Lebanon postoffice was established in 1855.  
	It is the only post-village in the township.  A small portion on Castle 
	Shannon extends over the line of Baldwin and Scott.
		St Clair United Presbyterian Church received its first pastor in 
	the preson of Rev. Joseph Kerr, who was installed at the house of 
	Nathaniel Plummerin October, 1803.  The first sermon had been preacjed 
	in November of the previous year, by Rev. John Riddell.  Mr Kerr's 
	pastorate also included Mifflin Church.  Since his resignation, in 1825, 
	the succession of pastors has been as follows: John Dickey, 1830-29; 
	Alexander H Wright, 1843-46; Joseph Clokey, 1848-55; J C Boyd, 1858 to 
	present.
		The Woodville Protostant Espiscopal church was built in 1846 and 
	replaced a log building of great age, one of the first places of worship in 
	the Chartiers Valley.  The latter was erected at the time when a Book of 
	Common Prayer was on little use unless supplemented with a trusty gun.  It is 
	said that on one occasion when the worshipers had reached that part of the 
	service known as the litany, and were giving one emphantic "Good Lord, 
	deliver us," an attack was made by the Indians, and within a few seconds 
	every porthole had its glistening rifle.  No record of the pastors here has 
	been preserved.  After a long period of discontinuance, the church was 
	reopened for services October 24, 186.  Among those buried in the adjoining 
	cemetery are Jane Williams, who died August 4, 1795, thirty-three years of 
	age; Daniel S Williams, May 4, 1825; Mary Richardson, January 1, 1805, aged 
	seventy-seven; James Richardson, September 2, 1805, aged eighty-four; Daniel 
	South, June 25, 1811; WIlliam Beaumont, September 19, 1813; Capt. David Steel, 
	February 4, 1819; and an earlier generation of the Lea family, whose graves 
	are unmarked.

		The following is quoted from the Pittsburgh Dispatch;
		It is a mooted question as to which is the oldest church 
		and burial place in the region of which Pittsburgh is the 
		center.  There is, however, litle doubt that this distinc-
		tion belongs to the Episcopal church and graveyard near 
		Woodville, eight miles from the city.  Maj. Lea, who accom-
		panied the Forbes expedition to Fort Duquesne, settled at 
		Leasdale prior to 1760.  Being a Church-of-England adherent, 
		a church of that order was soon organized, and Episcopal 
		services were maintained, with more or less regularity, by 
		the Leas and Nevilles at Woodville a number of years before 
		Dr McMillian began his work at Cannonsburg, and a quarter of 
		a century before there was church organization at Pittsburgh.  
		The present stone church is the third edifice on the site, 
		the first having been a log building, which probably no one 
		can remember.In that log church was christened a daughter of 
		Maj. Lea in 1774.  On one of the headstones in the old burial
		place is this inscription: "Jane Lea Nixon, born 1774, died 
		1859,m the first white child born in the Chartiers Valley."


Back