In 1765, Major William Lea-an English Army office, built the Old St Luke's Episcopal Church in Woodville, the church is the oldest church west of thh Allagheny mountains. The first white pioneers to settle in what is know known as Carnegie was John and James Bell from Virginia in 1768, in the following year they constructed permanent cabins. The first post office was established in 1853, with Mansfield have churches and schools, the next natural step was the post office The first church erected was the First Presbyterian Church built in 1852-53. United Presbyterian Church organized their congregation in 1856, and built the Church in 1858. Then came the Methodist Church in 1859 and the Baptists organized in 1868. 1876 the German Catholics built St Joseph's Church and in 1880 St Luke's Church was erected. Mansfield was incorporated into a borough September 6, 1872, the same day Chartiers incorporated as a borough also. Large employers at that time were, Mansfield Coal and Coke Co., Steen and Sons Colliery and Grant Mining co. In 1883 J C Kirkpatrick and Company built the Chartiers Iron and Steel Co, bringing many new families in to Mansfield and surrounding areas. By 1891 Mansfield boased having four churches, seven doctors, a school, a bank and other businesses. There were 2 wooden covered bridges crossing the Chartiers creek, connecting Mansfield and Chartiers. Chartiers bring the first ward and Mansfield the second ward. Gas lines were laid out on Main st and Washington ave in 1885-89, and Chartiers st was the first to be paved in 1888. February 20, 1894 residents voted to consolidate the two boroughs by a vote of 670 to 125. The new Carnegie government consisted of a Burgess and a 6 person council. Andrew Carnegie allowed the new town to be named in his honor and in return he donated $200,000 for the build of the Andrew Carnegie Free Library which open May 1, 1901 The first high school built in Carnegie was erected in 1899. Carnegie continued to grow and by 1916 there were three railroad lines and 14 metal industries together they employed 6,270 people. Carnegie's population grew every year until about 1950, then with he closing of Superior Steel in 1960's.By 1970 the population had dropped to 1,023 people.
Created by T Cook ... November 30, 2000
Updated on ... January 28, 2002 Collected by Terry Hutchison Cook