History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 210-217. Contributed by Mike Gifford
This township, as will be noticed by reference to Chapter III., was formed by the Cumberland County Court at October sessions, 1767, and then embraced all of the area of Huntingdon County west of Jack's Mountain and Sideling Hill and the greater portion of Blair County. The name was originally written BARRE. As the township was created during the times when the people of the colonies were protesting against the taxes imposed upon them by the mothercountry, it is supposed the name was conferred in honor of Col. Isaac Barre, who by a speech delivered in 1765 in the British Parliament on the celebrated Stamp Act, patriotically defended the colonists. The name soon became written "Barree," and long usage has established that as the correct orthography. In the changes of more than a century it was so ;horn of its extensive proportions as to be reduced to an area of about twenty-five square miles, it being about four miles wide, with an average length slightly exceeding six miles. Its general shape is that of a parallelogram, with its northern end resting on the summit of Tussey's Mountain, which separates it from Centre County. Jackson bounds it on the east, Miller on the south, and West on the southwest.
With the exception of Herrad's Run, a tributary of Standing Stone Creek, the drainage of the township is by way of Shaver's Creek. This stream flows through Shaver's Creek Valley.
Numerous springs issue from the mountain-side and from the high lands east
and south of the creek, which feed that stream with fresh and clear water,
whose appearance is quite unlike that which distinguishes the waters of
Shaver's Creek when it flows into the Juniata. The discoloration is caused
by the peculiar earths through which it flows in West and Logan townships.
In Barree are also springs of mineral waters, several of them being highly
The first assessment of the property in this township after the formation of Huntingdon County was in 1788. The following extracts have been arranged as nearly as possible according to the territory of the township as it has been since subdivided.
The abbreviations used are "W," for warranted land ; " L," for land held by "locations" or orders of survey; "Imp.," for land held by improvement-right; "a." for acres ; "h. " for horses ; "h. c.," for horned cattle ; " c.," for cows.
Robert Smith, collector, made a return of the lands upon which there was no property to pay the taxes. These tracts are designated with an *, and were either unimproved or untenanted.
BARREE AND MILLER
Bell, Arthur, 90 a., 2 h., 1 h.c.
Kennedy, David, adj. Manor land, 400 a., L
Boggs, Andrew, 300 a., L, 1 h., 1 h.c.
* Meredith, Samuel, adj. William McAlevy, 2000 a., L
LOGAN AND WEST
Anderson, James, 300 a., 3 h., 4 h.c.
Wilson, William, deceased, 180 a., L
Brown, Moses, 100 a., Imp. 2 h., 1 h.c.
William Porter, sessor; William McAlavy, George Gray, assistants.
Dickey, Moses,150 a. W., 1 h., 1 c.
*Samuel Mifflin, deceased, Warm Springs, Stone Creek, 1200 a. L.
THE SHAVER'S CREEK MANOR
Within the limits of this township is located one of the tracts reserved by the proprietaries of the province for their own use. It is known as the Shaver's Creek Manor, and contains two thousand six hundred and eight acres. The warrant for its survey was dated October 30, 1760, and the survey was made by Samuel Finlay, an assistant of John Armstrong, then deputy surveyor of Cumberland County, November 5, 1762. From this tract the village of Manor Hill, located within its lines, derived its name. In November 1788, James Hunter, a surveyor then and for some years thereafter in active practice, divided the Manor tract into lots as follows:
The village lots were chiefly laid off on Manor Lot 10.
Although the township was not wholly free of Indians, no outrages seem to have been committed in its borders. To be prepared in case an incursion occured, a stockade fort was built at Manor Hill on one of the Rickets farms. It was designed primarily for temporary defense, and its existence doubtless gave the settlers assurances of safety which they otherwise would not have entertained. It was occupied on several occasions of Indian alarms, in one of which, it is said, occurred the birth of Jacob Chaney. The farm was sold by the Rickets to Arthur Moore, who in turn conveyed it to John Crum, who used the timbers in building a sheep barn on the same farm, which was demolished not many years since.
JOHN DICKEY, who came from Carlisle, PA, was one of the earliest settlers
of the present township. Some years before the Revolution he took up a
large tract of land in the neighborhood of the Manor, but the unsettled
condition of the country caused him to return to Carlisle, where he lived
several years, then returned to Barree, which was his residence until his
death in 1814, at quite an advanced age. Of his six children one of his
daughters married Michael Murray, who lived on the Manor; another John Phramton,
who lived on the small stream which bears his name, formerly
called Ewing's Run; while the third daughter married John Henderson, and
lived on an adjoining tract of land. The sons John and Thomas removed to
the West, and James died in the township.
JOHN BELL - Another early settler in this part of the township was John Bell, who lived on the place now owned by Alexander Oaks until his death in 1833, a very aged man. He was the father of sons - George W., who was married to Margaret McMahan, and who died in 1864, at the age of eighty-two years; Alexander, married to Elizabeth Moore; William, married to Elizabeth Henry; Thomas, married to Margaret Ewing; and John and Arthur, who were single men.
McMAHAN FAMILY. - After the Revolution, Benjamin McMahan came from the Tuscarora Valley, and settled on the place now owned by his son John, were he died in 1829. During the war he served in the garrison at Northumberland, where his brother James settled, not far from Danville. He was married to a daughter of Daniel McAleece, and reared three sons and two daughters. The latter married George W. Bell and James Johnston, both of Barree. John McMahan, the oldest son, was born in Barree in 1794, and was married to Ann Bell, who died at the age of seventy-six years. They reared sons named Benjamin, George, Marshall, James, Jackson and daughters who married Robert Wilson, David Little and Jonathan Johnston. John McMahan is one of the oldest men in the county. He is a carpenter by trade, and attained wonderful skill in the use of the broad-axe, his exploits in that direction being remembered by many of the old people of Barree and Jackson. Daniel, a second son of Benjamin McMahan , removed to St. Louis, and Benjamin, another son, died at Altoona. The McAleece, or McClees family removed to Kentucky at an early day. The young man McClees, killed by the Indians in Jackson township, was a nephew of Daniel McAleece, his parents never living in the county.
WILLIAM MAFFITT. - In the upper part of the valley, above the McMahan farm, lived William Maffitt, who moved there from Woodcock's Valley in Bedford. He was the father of three sons named John, Robert, and James, and daughters who married William Johnston, James McClelland, and Joseph Ross.
CASPER CROYL lived in the Maffitt family, and some of his family now occupy the Maffitt homestead. He had sons named George, Samuel, Henry, Philip, Jonas, and Thomas.
McCARTNEY FAMILY. - Farther down the valley lived George McCartney, and Daniel and James McCartney lived in Jackson, all being of different parentage, and not related to one another. They were among the early settlers, and their descendants have become quite numerous.
THE RUDY BROTHERS, George and Barney, came from York County after the Revolution, the former having been engaged in the struggle. He occupied what is known as the Rudy homestead, where he lived until his death. His five daughters married John Scott, Casper Croyl, and A. Morrison, of Barree, and John Warefield and Robert Wilson, of Jackson. His sons Martin, Reuben, Samuel, and John yet live in that locality.
JOHN HENRY, an Irishman, was an early settler on the farm which is now owned by John Smith. Here he reared three sons, names James, John and Samuel, and daughters who married John Hutchinson of Barree, Asa Fagan of Barree and Samuel Morrison of Huntingdon. The oldest son moved to Clearfield, Samuel went out in the War of 1812 and never returned, and John married Sarah Massey, and lived in Barree until 1844, when he moved to Fairfield, where he died in 1856, leaving sons, Jesse, James, Mordecai, and John.
DAVID GILLILAND, of Irish birth, was one of the first settlers below the Manor, rearing a large family, one of the daughters, Mary, yet being a resident of the township, at the age of about eighty years. John Henderson, an Irishman, settled in the same locality on one of the Dickey farms. He was the father of two sons, John and George. The former married Sally Campbell, and moved to Cass County, Iowa. George married Harriet Taylor, of Mifflin County, and settled on the William McIlhenney farm, on the Manor tract. He died near Petersburg in 1855. A son, Miles, is yet living on the homestead.
In the neighborhood of Saulsburg settled Thomas Forrest a few years before the Revolution, and lived there until his death in 1806. The two daughters he reared married John Morrill and Isaac Myton, both of whom moved to Ohio. The oldest son, John, married Martha Wilson, and settled in Barree. He was the father of Joseph Forrest, at present one of the oldest citizens of the township, and James and John Forrest, who moved to the West. Other sons of Thomas Forrest were Joseph and Thomas, who were among the first settlers of the northwestern part of the state. Along the northwest base of Warrior Ridge, James Watson improved what later became known as the Olyer and Gibbony farms. Christian Olyer was from Chester County. He had a son, also named Christian, who made the substantial improvements now on the farm, removing to Ohio more than a quarter century ago. The daughter of Christian Oyer, Sr. married George Wilson and Richard Sankey. John Gibboney, the father of Joseph Gibboney, came from Lancaster County about 1824.
WILLIAM STEWART, a pioneer, lived south of the Manor. He was the father of Judge John Stewart, who lived in the same locality; James and Samuel, others sons, lived in Jackson, while Thomas Stewart died on the homestead. Several daughters were married to James Sample and John Oaks, the latter of Jackson Township. William Hirst came about 1795 and settled in the upper part of the township, where he died in 1852 at the age of seventy-eight years. His daughters married in the Fowler, Evans, and Peightal families. Of his sons, John died at Saulsburg; William became a Methodist minister and died at Washington City; Andrew H. served as county treasurer, and afterwards became a merchant at Philadelphia; and James was a physician in Illinois. Near the Jackson line lived John Duff, who came to the place from the Kishacoquillas Valley. He reared tens sons, namely William, Samuel, John, Cornelius, Andrew, Edward, James, David, Reuben, and Charles. There were also four daughters who attained womanhood.
Some time about 1800, John Crum, a very active Methodist, settled at Manor
Hill, on one of the Rickets Farms. His sons Cornelius and John moved to
the West, while his daughters married John M. Smith, of Jackson, and
Joseph Adams, who had the first store at the Manor, and who afterwards,
became widely known as Judge Adams.
In 1812, after West was set off, the township contained the following taxables.
The owners of village lots were Martha Chaney, Robert Gettis, Joseph Jackson, Robert Stewart, and James Wilson. The number of acres of land owned by residents was 26, 715; of unseated land, 6,785. There 255 head of horses, 267 of horned cattle, 2 grist mills, 7 saw mills, 6 distilleries, and 25 inhabitants having occupations other than farming.
In 1880 the population of Barree, including the present township of Miller, was 1085.
CIVIL ORGANIZATION. - Barree township had, when Huntingdon County was formed, very extensive limits. Hence in the following list of officers may appear the names of persons who resided in what is now of the following townships: West, Logan, Jackson, Oneida, Miller, or the township proper, if elected before those townships were set off. Miller was included until the spring election of 1881. The principal officers have been:
1788, James Glen; 1789, William Porter; 1790, John Graffius; 1791, George Wilson; 1792, John Case; 1793-94, James Anderson; 1795, James Glen; 1796, Thomas Forrest; 1797, Samuel Mitchell; 1798, David Wherry; 1799, George Green; 1800, James Watson; 1801, William McAlevy; 1802, David Gilliland; 1803, George McCartney; 1804, Hugh Tolland; 1805, Robert Morrell; 1806, William Potter; 1807, Robert Leonard; 1808, Robert Moore; 1809, Isaac Myton; 1810, William Hirst; 1811, Samuel Henry; 1813-14, William Hirst; 1815-16, Thomas Kyler; 1817-19, William McCrum; 1820, Samuel Morris; 1821-22, Thomas Eyler; 1823, Charles Woolverton; 1824-32, William Price; 1833-34, Samuel Rainey.
OVERSEERS OF THE POOR.
1789, Joseph Oburn, James Anderson; 1790, James Glen, George Gray; 1791, James Glen, Nicholas Graffius; 1792, Joseph Oburn, William Porter; 1793, William McAlevy, James Ausrie; 1794, George Jackson, Samuel Porter; 1795, George Gray, Richard Miller; 1796, Alexander McCormick, William McAlevy; 1797, James Glen, William McAlevy; 1798, Nathaniel Murray, Robert Moore; 1799, Joseph Jackson, David Riddle; 1800, James Thompson, Michael Murray.
1789, William McAlevy, Nicholas Graffius; 1790, George Wilson, Richard Miller; 1791, George Wilson, James Haney; 1792, Nicholas Graffius, James Glen; 1793, John Cree, David Ralston; 1794, James Anderson, William McAlevy; 1795, John Beatty, John McGill; 1796, Michael Murray, Samuel Anderson; 1797, Joseph Potter, Thomas Warren; 1798, David Gilliland, Samuel Mitchell; 1799, Robert Stuart, Robert Leonard; 1800-1, Morris Ferris, James McIlroy; 1802, Thomas Warren, Benjamin McMahan; 1803-4, Thomas Warren, Robert Moore; 1805, William Wallace, Samuel Kenney; 1806, David Riddle, Robert Morrell; 1807, James Watson, Mordecai Massey; 1808, John McGill, Samuel Morrison; 1809, James Watson, George Rudy; 1810, John Campbell, Robert Leonard; 1811-12, John Watt, John McIlroy; 1813, Joseph Runsha, William Ricketts; 1814-15, George McCrum, Christian Over: 1816, John Carmon, William Maffitt; 1817, Joseph Clayton, William Maffitt; 1818, John Watt, Thomas Coughenour; 1819, David Gilliland, James Watson; 1820, David Gilliland, James Watson; 1821, Asaph Fagan, Samuel Morrison; 1822, Asaph Fagan, John Forrest; 1823, Andrew Householder, Thomas Mitchell; 1824, John Stryker, George Fox; 1825, John Stryker, Alexander Livingston; 1826, John Oaks, Livingston Carmon; 1827, Alexander Bell, Charles Cummins; 1828, Joshua Green, William Maffitt; 1829, James Stuart, William Maffitt; 1830, Samuel Stewart, William Oaks; 1831, John Duff, James Leonard; 1832, John Evans, James Leonard; 1833, Robert Cummins, John McMahan; 1834, Philip Silknitter, Hugh Smith, George Mc-Crum, John McMahan; 1835, Josiah Cunningham, Alexander Thompson, Philip Silknitter, Robert Massey; 1836, Samuel Mitch-ell, Thomas Blair; 1837, Robert Barr, Andrew Couch; 1838, John Duff, John Stuart; 1839, John Horning, Daniel Malley, David Porter, John Jackson; 1840, David Massey, William Porter, William Couch, Samuel Hawn; 1841, James Ewing, William Means, Henry Lee, Daniel Covenhover; 1842, James Livingston, Philip Silknitter, William Maines, Thomas Smith; 1843, James Coy, Robert Cummins, William Randolph, Samuel Johnson; 1844, Alexander Bell, A. T. Stryker, James Coy, William Randolph; 1845, John McMahan, Thomas Miller; 1846, Philip Silknitter, David Peightal; 1847, George Hutchinson, John Chaney, Alexander Bell; 1848, Thomas Crownover, Christian Oyer; 1849, John Logan, James Livingston; 1850, John Steel, John Stewart, John Hofford; 1851, John Gilland, William Morrison, William Couch; 1852, John Logan, George McCrum, Joseph Gibbony; 1853, Nicholas Decker, John Logan, John McMahan; 1854, Joseph Smiley, John Love, Alexander M. Oaks; 1855, John Smith, James Ewing; 1856, Isaac Horning, James Ewing; 1857, John Love, William Oaks, Thomas Crownover; 1858, John Love, William Couch, John McMahan; 1859, John Hirst, C. T. Green, John McMahan; 1860, James Stewart, William L. Couch, Thomas Stewart; 1862, David Ramsey, Solomon Trautwein, Gilbert Horning; 1863, Martin Rudy, David Ramsey, Henry Cornpropst; 1865, Thomas Stewart, George Scott, J. C. Miller; 1866, Thomas Stewart, George Hutchinson, Andrew Chaney; 1867, John L. Hoffer, George Hutchinson; 1868, Joseph Henderson, John McMahan, Timothy Darley; 1869, William Couch, Joseph Gibbony, John Stewart; 1870-71, George Hutchinson, A. Chaney, John Stewart; 1872, John Bell, L. Morrison; 1873, William Ewing, Patrick Gettis; 1874, Joseph Gibbony, R. Rudy, J. A. Couch; 1875, William Eckley; 1876, John McMahan, William Hallman, F. Corbin; 1877, William Hallman, John Harris, Alexander Myton; 1878, William McAlevy, David Huhn, Samuel Morrison; 1879, Daniel Troutwein, Christian Peightal; 1880, W. W. French, Daniel Troutwein; 1881, H. C. Harshbarger, William P. Walker, Jesse P. Wilson.
1835, William Couch, William Maffitt; 1836, David Massey; 1837, James Stewart; 1838, John Crum; 1839, Gilbert Chaney; 1840, John Oaks; 1841, Samuel Miller; 1842, Samuel Stewart; 1843 (no report); 1844, George McCrum; 1845, Andrew Couch; 1846, James Maguire; 1847 Samuel Miller, John Stewart; 1848, John Stewart; 1849, Robert Massey; 1850, John Love; 1851, Isaac Horning; 1852, Reuben Massey; 1853, John Love; 1854, Isaac Horning; 1855, Thomas Bell; 1856 (no report); 1857, C. C. Ash; 1858, George McCrum; 1859, Thomas Covenhover; 1860, C. C. Ash; 1861, - -; 1862, Barton Green; 1863, Robert R. Green; 1864, - -; 1863, Christian Peightal; 1866, James M. Stewart: 1867, A. M. Oaks; 1868, C. C. Ash; 1869, James M. Johnston; 1870-71, R. R. Ramsey; 1872, Silas Gibbony; 1873, Mlles L- Green; 1874, William Ewing; 1875, Solomon Troutwein; 1876, C. C. Ash; 1877, William Ewing; 1878, Solomon Troutwein; 1879, James Blair; 1880, J. T. Livingston, William Couch; 1881, James Houck, Solomon Troutwein, John Rudy.
Since the adoption of the free school system the following have been elected as directors:
1835, Daniel Massey, James Stewart; 1836, James Cummins, Cornelius Crum; 1837, James Ewing, Christian Oyer; 1838, John Campbell, George Jackson, David Massey; 1839, Robert Stewart, Andrew Couch, John Love; 1840, John W. Myton, Gilbert Chaney; 1841, William B. Smith, John Smith, Alexander Bell; 1842, James Gillam, William B. Smith, John Love; 1843, no report; 1844, Samuel Miller, David Ramsey; 1845, Josiah Cunningham, Thomas Stewart, George Bell; 1846, Alexander Oaks, Isaac Anderson; 1847, Gilbert Chaney, Thomas Crownover; 1848, Moses Robinson, James Gil lam; 1849, Josiah Gibbony, Job Slack; 1850, John Chaney, George McCrum, Jr.; 1851, John McGregor, Christian Peightal; 1852, William Couch, John Harper; 1853, James Ewing, Thomas Wilson; 1854, William Morrison, John G. Stewart, James Horning; 1855, George Bell. Joseph Forrest, Jacob C. Miller; 1856, Thomas Stewart, William Oaks; 1857, Israel Smiley, George Bell; 1858, Gilbert Horning, Lee T. Wilson; 1859, Thomas Stewart, Joseph Gibbony; 1860, John Smith, Samuel Myton; 1861, H. J. McCarthy, Thomas Morrison, Henry Cramer; 1862, William Miller, T. P. Love, Joseph Gibbony; 1863, John Smith, Elijah Gillam; 1865, Thomas Bell, William Ewing, R. A. Ramsey; 1866, Thomas Bell, John Peightal; 1867, G. Horning, G. M. Johnston; 1868, Joseph Forest, John Smith; 1869, Solomon Troutwein; 1870, James M. Johnston, N. Gregory, Thomas Ganoe; 1871, James M. Johnston, N. Gregory, Thomas Ganoe; 1872, Martin Rudy, S. Troutwein, William Couch ;1873, Christian Peightal, A. M. Cheney; 1874, C. F. Green, J. M. Johnston; 1875, Samuel Myton, Reuben Duff; 1876, Thomas Crownover, Miles L. Green; 1877, H. C. Crownover, Robert Wilson; 1878, Samuel Myton, Reuben Duff; 1879, William Coy, Shadrach Cheney; 1880, Henry McCrum, William Jackson ; 1881, Leonard Rudy, John Archey, Reuben Rudy, William Gettis.
In 1880, when Barree yet included the present township of Miller, there were ten school districts, in each of which five months' school was maintained. The number of males attending was one hundred and sixty-nine, of females one hundred and thirty-three. The cost of tuition for each pupil was eighty-seven cents per month. The total amount levied for school and building purposes dwas $1,751.06. The township contains several fine school buildings, and all the old houses are being gradually displaced by a better class of buildings, which are equal to those in other parts of the county.
General Industries and Hamlets. - In the present township of Barree there is but little water-power, and but few manufacturing interests consequently are carried on, agriculture being the chief occupation of the people. The most important manufacturing interest ever carried on in Barree was Monroe Smelting Furnace, in the northwestern corner of the township. It was built on Shaver's Creek by General James Irwin about 1845, and was successfully operated by him several years. Following him as an operator was Geroge W. Johnston, who did considerable casting in connection, making stoves of the Philadelphia pattern. The metal produced by the furnace was grayish, and was deemed superior for casting purposes. The furnace was of the quarter pattern, and had a good capacity, but was unfavorably located for an extensive business. It has not been in blast for the last twelve years, and the property connected therewith is somewhat dilapidated. It belongs to the Logan Iron and Steel Company. Not far from this locality John Rudy began distilling whiskey in May 1878, hte distillery being of small capacity and operated only about five months a year. The Rudy family also carries on a small saw-mill, and Reuben and Martin have manufactured brick the past four years. In the same section a small saw-mill, operated by John McMahan and others, has long since passed away, and small mills on Herrad's Run have outlived their usefulness.
MASSEYSBURG is a small hamlet in the northwestern part of the township,
and owes its name to Dr. Mordecai Massey, who resided at this place nearly
all his lifetime. It was formerly more of a business point than at present
there being but half a dozen houses and a store carried on by Samuel
Troutwein. The first store in the place was kept by Asbury R. Stewart, in
a building which has now fallen into disuse, and was opened nearly forty
years ago. Intermediate tradesman have been John C. Walker, Henry Kocher,
Silas Hutchinson, John Rudy, Jacob S. Reed, and probably a few others.
Prior to this John McCartney opened a public-house, which was discontinued
before 1840. Among the mechanics who carried on their trades a number of
years were John Phramptom, William Maffitt, and George Everts,
The first regular store at this place was kept by Joseph Adams,
near the present day Methodist meeting house. At this tavern stand William
Couch had a small store, and Robert Moore engaged in the same business,
putting up an addition to that building, in which he sold goods. Another
addition made a shoe shop for John Hagan, where he carried on his trade
many years. In the same building merchandised William Moore, James Lyons,
John Love, Smith and Hartman, J. C. Walker, and, at present, Robert Crownover. At the time the Moores were in trade John Cresswell and John
Walker each had stores at other stands, and near the Cresswell stand
Alexander B. Gillam is at present in trade. Among other merchants have
been Silas Cresswell, Henry Kocher, William Harper, and Andrew Wilson.
Among the keepers of the public houses besides William Couch were Josiah Cunningham, Alexander McMurtrie, Samuel Hays, L. W. Port, Alexander Wingate, James Carmon, James and Samuel Fleming, and William Morrison, there being no inn in 1881.
SAULSBURG is a hamlet several miles northeast from Manor Hill, and containing about the same number of houses as that place. The hamlet took its name from Henry Widersall, who set aside some lots for village purposes about 1836. The proprietor was often called simply "Sall" and the change from this to Saul with the word burg added was very easy. At the sale of the lots, George McCrum bought the Spring lot and erected thereon a distillery, which was carried on by his son James. John Harper also built one of the first houses, which became a tavern, and with additions and changes, has been the public-house ever since. Among the principal keepers have been Peter and James Livingston, James Coen, James Fleming, John G. Stewart, George Randolph, Robert Ramsey and Jacob Hallman. The house by the distillery was also a place of entertainment. No regular public-house has been maintained for some years. Andrew H. Hirst sold the first goods in the place, and among others who subsequently merchandised there were Love & Oyer, James Maguire, Samuel W. Myton, James Gillam, John Couch, and since 1859, Andrew Crownover, occupying since 1871 a fine business house. He is also postmaster of the Saulsburg office, which was formerly in charge of Job Slack and John Couch. Slack was for many years a wagon-maker in the hamlet, and the ordinary mechanic shops are all at present maintained. In the upper part of hte hamlet John Houck established a tannery many years ago, which is yet carried on by his family near Saulsburg. John Scott projected a village which bore the name of Belle Isle. A few lots were sold and a house built, which was afterwards removed, the site being deemed unfavorable. It is now a part of the Joseph Forrest farm.
In the southern and eastern part of Barree, Dr. William R. Finley was one of the first physicians. He removed to Frankstown, and later to Altoona. Dr. John Rankin followed next as a practioner. He came from Centre County and established himself at Saulsburg, where he lived until his death. In 1845 Dr. Miller Stewart began a practice at Manor Hill, which was continued five or six years ,when he removed to West Virginia. He was a graduate of Jefferson Medical College. Dr. Joseph F. Wilson graduated the same year, 1845, and after being at Manor Hill for a period located at Saulsburg, where he has lived more than a quarter century. Since 1878, Dr. Richard M. Johnson, who graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in 1877, has been established in the practice of medicine at Manor Hill, coming from Mooresville, where he had been the preceeding year. In years gone by, among other physicians in the township, were Dr. James Hirst and Dr. Hyskill, the latter being a contemporary for a short time of the present Dr. Wilson.
Religious and Educational. - In the history of Porter township in this book may be read an account of the old Hart's Log Presbyterian Church, with which the Presbyterians of Shaver's Creek Valley were connected many years. These members had the same ministry and shared the burdens of a church organization with the Hart's Log members. For the accomodation of -
The Shaver's Creek Congregation, a meeting-house was built on the Manor about 1790, on a tract of ground set aside for church and burial purposes, which has been in longer consecutive use than any other ground in the county devoted to the same purpose. There were originally four acres, but owing to an error in locating the new building additional land had to be purchased in 1835 from William Hennon and James Ewing, making the entire lot more than five acres in extent. On the 23rd day of February, 1805, the congregation became an incorporated body as "The Presbyterian Church at Shaver's Creek Manor" with a board of trustees as follows: Matthew Stevens, David Riddle, James Watson, Samuel Henry, Alexander McCormick, Jr., William McAlevy, Jr., and William Stewart. At this time Matthew Stevens was the pastor, and among the members of the church were Alexander Drummond, Robert McCormick, Alexander McCormick, Sr. and Jr., Samuel Johnston, George McCartney, James Bradley, Hugh Morrison, William Maffitt, Charles Cunningham, Hugh Tolland, Matthew Gilliland, George Riddle, John Little, John Stewart, Robert Nelson, John Brown, William McAlevy, Sr. and Jr., James McIlroy, Patrick McDonald, John Magill, James Thompson, Robert McKee, Thomas McKee, John Cree, James Logan, John Christy, Thomas Warren, Samuel Cowen, John Christy, John Hennon, Hugh Watt, Charles Rainey, John Fitzgerald, James Hennon, Matthew Miller, John Rennison, James Belford, Gilbert Chaney, John Forrest, Andrew Dunn, John Cunningham, Thomas Forrest, James Wilson, Moses Forney, Joseph Osburn, Matthew Gilliland, Hugh Tolland, John Stewart, David Gilliland, Sr. and Jr., John Eustice, William Hennon, John Murray, Matthew Cresswell, William Myton, Samuel Myton, Thomas Ralston, John McClure, James Shannon, David Riddle, and Robert Wilson.
The same year Michael Murray willed a sum of money to the trustees of the congregation, the interest of which was to be devoted for the use of the congregation "in maintaining the gospel, and the other half to school poor children in the parish."
The congregation at Shaver's Creek Manor has contributed of its membership for form other congregations, and since 1844 has maintained a meeting-house in Jackson township, where the larger number of its members at present reside. At Manor Hill a stone church was built in 1823, which in a repaired condition is yet the place of woship of the members residing in Barree, althought meetings have not been regularly held there the past few years. The trustees of the church property including the meeting-house at McAlevy's Fort, in Jackson, in 1881 were James Stewart, James M. Stewart, John B. Smith, Samuel Smith, William Davis, and Thomas Mitchell. The elders at the same time were Hugh A. Jackson, James Smith and David McAlevy. This office has also been filled in later years by Alexander Thompson, Samuel Mitchell, William D. Black, Robert Huey, George McAlevy, and Robert Fleming.
The congregation has had the ministerial services of the following reverend gentleman, and probably in a few others for short periods: the Reverends John Johnston, of Huntingdon, James Johnston, of Mifflin County, Matthew Stevens (the first regular pastor), James Thompson, until his death in 1851, when the congregation no longer served with Hart's Log; Samuel Wilson, David Sterritt, for about fourteen years; Richard Curran, for about eight years; Samuel Hill, for half a dozen years; Moses Floyd, about eight years; John C. Wilhelm, W. W. Campbell, and since October 1878 the Reverend William Prideaux, of Huntingdon.
The cemetery at the old Manor Church contains a large number of graves, many being those of the earliest settlers of the valley. It has lately been inclosed by a neat fence, and made more attractive in other respects.
Manor Hill Methodist Episcopal Church. - In the southeastern part of Barree and northwestern part of Miller among the early Methodists were John Crum, Sr., Cornelius Crum, Christian Oyer, John Chaney, Shadrach Chaney, John Miller, William Couch, Andrew Wilson, Thomas Wilson, Samuel Myton, William Myton, John Myton, Samuel Myton, Jr., Wesley Gregory, Dennis Coder, George Wilson, George McCrum, Robert Logan, Joseph Gibbony, Philip Silknitter, John Wakefield, Solomon Stevens, Mark McDonald, Josua Green, Elisha Green, and John Green. For the accomodations of these worshippers a small brick meeting-house was built at Manor Hill, but as the membership increased so rapidly a larger church edifice was required, and the brick church yet in use was built around 1837. Recent repairs have made it comfortable and sufficiently attractive. It is a two-story building and the lower part has been fitted up for class-rooms and the other purposes of the church. On the same lot it a neat cemetery, the whole property being controlled by a board of trustees, which in 1881 was composed of Wesley Gregory, Andrew Myton, J. B. Myton, James Stewart, Carmon Green, Samuel Myton, Samuel Gregory, Robert Green, and H. C. Crownover.
The church at Manor Hill was served by ministers of Huntingdon and other circuits until a new circuit was formed in 1853, which embraced at that time and for many years all the Methodist appointments in Shaver's Creek and Standing Stone Valleys. By the formation of Petersburg and Ennisville circuits the limits of Manor Hill circuit have been very much reduced, there being in 1881 but four appointments, namely, Manor Hill, Mooresville, Fairfield, and Donation. The circuit owns a parsonage at Manor Hill, which was controlled by Trustees Joseph Gibbony, Robert Johnston, Thomas Bell, James Stewart, George Myton, Joseph Oburn, and James F. Thompson. The entire circuit had nearly 200 members, divided as follows: Manor Hill - 61, Mooresville - 75, Fairfield - 23, and Donation (in Oneida Township) - 39. The Sunday school at Manor Hill had 80 members, and was superintended by Carmon Green.
The following have been ministers of Manor Hill Circuit since 1853:
1853, Revs. A. Brittain, T. W. Gottwalt; 1854, Rev.s Elisha Butler, Samuel Creighton; 1855-56, Revs. J. W. Haughawant, Wilber F. Watkins; 1857-1858, Revs. J. A. Melick, James T. Wilson; 1859-60, A. A. Eskridge, G. F. Gray; 1861, Revs. A. M. Barnitz, J. C. Clarke ; 1862, Revs. W. A. Houck, John Moorhead; 1863-1864, Revs. John Moorhead, Luther Smith; 1865, Revs. John Anderson, James H. McGarrah; 1866, Revs. John Anderson, O. M. Stewart; 1867, Revs. John A. DeMoyer, O. M. Stewart; 1868, Revs. John A. DeMoyer, William J. Owens; 1869, Revs. John A. DeMoyer, J. A. Woodstock; 1870-71, Revs. William Gwynn, Wesley Ely, William Schriber; 1872-1874, Rev. W. A. Clippinger; 1875, Rev. D. Castleman; 1876-1877, Rev. W. R. Whitney; 1878-79, Rev. W. M. Meninger; 1880, Rev. H. M. Ash; 1881, Rev. J. W. Olewine, Richard Hinkle (presiding elder.)
Return to Top of Page
Huntingdon County PAGenWeb
Copyright © 1996-2011, All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 1996-2004 Ken Boonie & contributors
Copyright © 2005-2010 Judy Banja & contributors
Copyright © 2011 Josie Baughman & contributors